Professional Web Applications Themes

solaris 10 zone / container question (or Solaris 9) - Linux / Unix Administration

I begin to look at zoning in Solaris 10. I have not configured zones yet but need some answers quite quick (tomorrow :-() and hope someone can help a. My understanding of zoning is that it allows the SA to create multiple zones in a single Solaris 10 instance. However, does there exist any tools to allow the SA to allocate resources to each zone? Say 1/10 of a CPU to one zone and of 1 CPU to a second zone. I think I read about resource management center, is it possible? b. Are there any monitoring tools for ...

  1. #1

    Default solaris 10 zone / container question (or Solaris 9)

    I begin to look at zoning in Solaris 10. I have not configured zones
    yet but need some answers quite quick (tomorrow :-() and hope someone
    can help

    a. My understanding of zoning is that it allows the SA to create
    multiple zones in a single Solaris 10 instance. However, does there
    exist any tools to allow the SA to allocate resources to each zone?
    Say 1/10 of a CPU to one zone and of 1 CPU to a second zone. I think
    I read about resource management center, is it possible?
    b. Are there any monitoring tools for each zone? Even if I were to use
    vmstat, iostat, will the result shown be for the zone or for the
    "real" machine?

    I also read containers is also available on Solaris 9, does it mean
    that I can configure zone using Solaris 9? Otherwise, how can I
    partition a system for different applications in Solaris 9.

    Thanks for the help

    AC
    anna Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, anna wrote:
    > a. My understanding of zoning is that it allows the SA to create
    > multiple zones in a single Solaris 10 instance. However, does there
    > exist any tools to allow the SA to allocate resources to each zone?
    > Say 1/10 of a CPU to one zone and of 1 CPU to a second zone. I think
    > I read about resource management center, is it possible?
    Yes.
    > b. Are there any monitoring tools for each zone? Even if I were to use
    > vmstat, iostat, will the result shown be for the zone or for the
    > "real" machine?
    I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't played with zones much yet.
    > I also read containers is also available on Solaris 9, does it mean
    I dunno9 where you read that. Zones are not (and aren't likely
    to be) available for S9, although some of the Resource Management
    stuff is.
    > that I can configure zone using Solaris 9? Otherwise, how can I
    > partition a system for different applications in Solaris 9.
    The best that you can do is run each application in a chrooted
    environment, but that won't give you anywhere near the isolation
    provided by zones.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    Rich Teer Guest

  3. #3

    | a. My understanding of zoning is that it allows the SA to create
    | multiple zones in a single Solaris 10 instance. However, does there
    | exist any tools to allow the SA to allocate resources to each zone?
    | Say 1/10 of a CPU to one zone and of 1 CPU to a second zone. I think
    | I read about resource management center, is it possible?

    Yes, you can. There are even several options:

    1. use the Fair Share Scheduler to assign weights to zones like
    1:3:2 This ratio of CPU is enforced if, and only if, the zones
    compete for cycles. If in the example 2 zones are idle the 3rd one
    gets everything if necessary. Adjustments are done in the sub second time
    frame

    2. you can bind zones to dynamic pools. A pool consist of a scheduling
    class and a processor set as in 9 but it can be dynamic in 10. This means
    that you have the option of specifying the minimum and maximum number of
    CPUs assigned to a given pool. Based on load or utilization a daemon than
    moves CPUs between pools and therefore between zones. This is done in a
    minute timeframe (typical)

    | b. Are there any monitoring tools for each zone? Even if I were to use
    | vmstat, iostat, will the result shown be for the zone or for the
    | "real" machine?

    The Sun folks are working on it and a few tools already support -z to
    collect data for a single zone like prstat. Be aware that several tools
    behave different if run in a zone or the global one.

    | I also read containers is also available on Solaris 9, does it mean
    | that I can configure zone using Solaris 9? Otherwise, how can I
    | partition a system for different applications in Solaris 9.

    Yeah, marketing folks messed this up ... (N1 Grid) Containers are resource
    management PLUS zones. As the first one is 80% available in s9 (like static
    pools, the fair share scheduler, ...) they tend to mix this up. READ THE
    FINE PRINT ;-) In clear: not zones in s9 and I doubt there will be any sort
    of backport.

    If partition means dividing CPU resources than just use the FSS and assign
    your applications to different projects (works with 9). If it means
    security isolation than chroot is all there is which is much less than
    zones.

    Hope that helps,
    Thomas

    PGP fingerprint: B1 EE D2 39 2C 82 26 DA A5 4D E0 50 35 75 9E ED
    Thomas Nau Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you all.
    It really helps.

    anna
    anna Guest

  5. #5

    As stated by others, zones can have resource "floors and ceilings". The
    current SRM (9) has no ceiling, so if shares are available to be used by other
    projects, then they get them.

    product plug follows:

    TeamQuest Performance Software works with SRM 8, SRM 9 and will
    work with zones in Solaris 10. It will run under designated project which
    will allow performance data collection from all zones.

    end of product plug.

    Regards,
    Joe Rich - TeamQuest Corporation

    In article <40d1feefnews.uni-ulm.de>, Thomas Nau <Thomas.Naukiz.uni-ulm.de>
    wrote:
    >| a. My understanding of zoning is that it allows the SA to create
    >| multiple zones in a single Solaris 10 instance. However, does there
    >| exist any tools to allow the SA to allocate resources to each zone?
    >| Say 1/10 of a CPU to one zone and of 1 CPU to a second zone. I think
    >| I read about resource management center, is it possible?
    >
    >Yes, you can. There are even several options:
    >
    >1. use the Fair Share Scheduler to assign weights to zones like
    >1:3:2 This ratio of CPU is enforced if, and only if, the zones
    >compete for cycles. If in the example 2 zones are idle the 3rd one
    >gets everything if necessary. Adjustments are done in the sub second time
    >frame
    >
    >2. you can bind zones to dynamic pools. A pool consist of a scheduling
    >class and a processor set as in 9 but it can be dynamic in 10. This means
    >that you have the option of specifying the minimum and maximum number of
    >CPUs assigned to a given pool. Based on load or utilization a daemon than
    >moves CPUs between pools and therefore between zones. This is done in a
    >minute timeframe (typical)
    >

    >| b. Are there any monitoring tools for each zone? Even if I were to use
    >| vmstat, iostat, will the result shown be for the zone or for the
    >| "real" machine?
    >
    >The Sun folks are working on it and a few tools already support -z to
    >collect data for a single zone like prstat. Be aware that several tools
    >behave different if run in a zone or the global one.
    >
    >| I also read containers is also available on Solaris 9, does it mean
    >| that I can configure zone using Solaris 9? Otherwise, how can I
    >| partition a system for different applications in Solaris 9.
    >
    >Yeah, marketing folks messed this up ... (N1 Grid) Containers are resource
    >management PLUS zones. As the first one is 80% available in s9 (like static
    >pools, the fair share scheduler, ...) they tend to mix this up. READ THE
    >FINE PRINT ;-) In clear: not zones in s9 and I doubt there will be any sort
    >of backport.
    >
    >If partition means dividing CPU resources than just use the FSS and assign
    >your applications to different projects (works with 9). If it means
    >security isolation than chroot is all there is which is much less than
    >zones.
    >
    >Hope that helps,
    >Thomas

    >PGP fingerprint: B1 EE D2 39 2C 82 26 DA A5 4D E0 50 35 75 9E ED
    Joseph A. Rich Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.unix.solaris Joseph A. Rich <jarnospam.teamquest.com> wrote:

    > As stated by others, zones can have resource "floors and ceilings". The
    > current SRM (9) has no ceiling, so if shares are available to be used by other
    > projects, then they get them.

    And you can create processor sets in S9 and then you have ceiling :)

    --
    Robert Milkowski
    [email]rmilkowski-NOSP-AMwp-sa.pl[/email]

  7. #7

    Absolutely correct.

    Joe