Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris 8 accessing shared NT print queues - Sun Solaris

I have windows 2000 print queues with "Print Service for UNIX" enabled and SAP R/3 running on Solaris 8. I needs to setup printer devices on SAP side using access method L to access the windows 2000 print queues without creating a local queue on SAP solaris servers. I have several shared print queues and eleven SAP application servers so I am trying to avoid creating each print queue on each application servers. This would create big mess to manage. Is it possible to call lpr or other commands and just point to windows 2000 server and shared print queue ...

  1. #1

    Default Solaris 8 accessing shared NT print queues

    I have windows 2000 print queues with "Print Service for UNIX" enabled and
    SAP R/3 running on Solaris 8. I needs to setup printer devices on SAP side
    using access method L to access the windows 2000 print queues without
    creating a local queue on SAP solaris servers. I have several shared print
    queues and eleven SAP application servers so I am trying to avoid creating
    each print queue on each application servers. This would create big mess to
    manage. Is it possible to call lpr or other commands and just point to
    windows 2000 server and shared print queue name?

    Thanks!
    JM

    JM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solaris 8 accessing shared NT print queues

    "JM" <mail.today> writes:

    SAP likes to hold all its print jobs in its own queue, then dump
    them in batches of 200-300 all at once on the local computer's
    print command.

    If you don't use local queues on the Solaris/SAP machine, you'll
    run into problems. When SAP dumps its batch of print jobs onto
    Solaris, your printer configuration will create many background
    processes, each with a connection to the Windows 2000 server.
    I.e. SAP dumps 250 print jobs on Solaris, creating 250 processes
    and 250 simultaneous connections to the Win 2000 machine.

    Unix operating systems like Solaris handle all those simultaneous
    connections just fine, but the Windows Print Service for UNIX does
    not handle them well. What I've seen is that some of the connections
    appear to hang. The Solaris processes for those connections stall,
    waiting for the Windows server to respond, and the print jobs stay
    on the Solaris machine.

    What works better is a local queue on the Solaris machine for each
    of the printers, that forwards the print jobs unchanged to the
    Windows server. Solaris queues the jobs on disk, and makes only
    a few connections to the Windows machine (one connection per queue)
    rather than hundreds of connections (one connection per job).
    Windows handles this better, so the jobs flow to the Windows machine
    properly and don't get stuck on the Solaris machine.

    Here's a template for the Solaris queues that I would recommend:

    Replace "SOL-NAME" with the printer queue name on the Solaris machine.
    Replace "WIN-NAME" with the printer queue name on the Windows machine.
    Replace "HOSTNAME" with the hostname or IP address of the Windows machine.

    touch /dev/SOL-NAME
    chmod 600 /dev/SOL-NAME
    chown lp:lp /dev/SOL-NAME

    lpadmin -p SOL-NAME -v /dev/SOL-NAME -m netstandard -I any
    lpadmin -p SOL-NAME -o dest=HOSTNAME:WIN-NAME -o data-file-type=l
    lpadmin -p SOL-NAME -o banner=never
    /usr/bin/enable SOL-NAME
    /usr/sbin/accept SOL-NAME

    The option letter in "-I any" is an uppercase i, not a lowercase L.
    The last character in "-o data-file-type=l" is a lowercase L. Some
    newsreaders use fonts that make it hard to tell the difference.
    Don't forget the colon (:) between HOSTNAME and WIN-NAME.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  3. #3

    JM wrote:

    Do you *HAVE* to use access method L? An alternative is to set up
    SAPLPD as a service on the Windows server (see SAP Note 42268) and use
    access method S.

    The Windows server name goes in the "Destination hosts" field (natch),
    and the Windows queue name is the "Host printer". If the queue isn't
    local to the SAPLPD server, you may need to qualify the host printer
    with the \\SERVERNAME\QUEUENAME format.

    Format can be handled in two ways - if you set the "Device type" to
    SAPWIN, the Windows Printer Drivers will format the output much like
    someone printing via their frontend printer. You can also set the
    device type as you would for a LPR printer to let SAP handle the
    formatting - SAPLPD will then basically act as a pass through.

    HTH.

    - Andy -

    Andy Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for reply.

    I don't have to setup access method L but it was suggested by SAP support in
    favor of using access method U. I like your suggestion on running SAPLPD as
    service on windows 2000 standalone server.

    The question now is: What's better access method U (Berkley LPD) or access
    method S (SAPLPD) they both use LPD or access method L using unix "lpr
    NTSEVER:printer file" command? Which one can handle multitasking and better
    suited for 10 Solaris SAP servers possibly dumping several jobs at the same
    time to single windows 2000 NT print queues.

    TIA!
    JM
    "Andy" <andyfr-at-datacom-dot-co-dot-nz> wrote in message
    news:supernews.com... [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    side [/ref]
    print [/ref]
    creating [/ref]
    mess to

    > Do you *HAVE* to use access method L? An alternative is to set up
    > SAPLPD as a service on the Windows server (see SAP Note 42268) and use
    > access method S.
    >
    > The Windows server name goes in the "Destination hosts" field (natch),
    > and the Windows queue name is the "Host printer". If the queue isn't
    > local to the SAPLPD server, you may need to qualify the host printer
    > with the \\SERVERNAME\QUEUENAME format.
    >
    > Format can be handled in two ways - if you set the "Device type" to
    > SAPWIN, the Windows Printer Drivers will format the output much like
    > someone printing via their frontend printer. You can also set the
    > device type as you would for a LPR printer to let SAP handle the
    > formatting - SAPLPD will then basically act as a pass through.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > - Andy -
    >
    >[/ref]

    JM Guest

  5. #5

    JM wrote:

    AFAIK access method S will cause the SAP spool process to send directly
    to the LPD host - there will be no equivalent lpr process running at the
    Solaris level. This *may* cause problems where only one job is sent
    from each system at a time... although this may also be considered as
    helping to keep the peak loads down!

    SAPLPD will accept standard LPD input (don't quote me!), and I guess the
    main advantage of S is when it is used with the SAPWIN driver - the
    print data passes unformatted to the SAPLPD process which renders it
    using the Windows drivers. We have found this a great help on our 4.0B
    systems where things like trademark symbols appear as squares when using
    the SAP supplied internal drivers.

    I have to admit I don't work on systems of this scale. We have one
    production SAP system with only around 100 users so I don't deal with
    the same volumes as you.

    Hopefully someone else can pick up from here, or you can post a follow
    up once you have trialled the options yourself ;-)

    You're welcome.
    Andy.
     [/ref]

    > and
    > [/ref]
    >
    > side
    > [/ref]
    >
    > print
    > [/ref]
    >
    > creating
    > [/ref]
    >
    > mess to

    >>Do you *HAVE* to use access method L? An alternative is to set up
    >>SAPLPD as a service on the Windows server (see SAP Note 42268) and use
    >>access method S.
    >>
    >>The Windows server name goes in the "Destination hosts" field (natch),
    >>and the Windows queue name is the "Host printer". If the queue isn't
    >>local to the SAPLPD server, you may need to qualify the host printer
    >>with the \\SERVERNAME\QUEUENAME format.
    >>
    >>Format can be handled in two ways - if you set the "Device type" to
    >>SAPWIN, the Windows Printer Drivers will format the output much like
    >>someone printing via their frontend printer. You can also set the
    >>device type as you would for a LPR printer to let SAP handle the
    >>formatting - SAPLPD will then basically act as a pass through.
    >>
    >>HTH.
    >>
    >>- Andy -
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >

    >[/ref]

    Andy Guest

  6. #6

    com (Greg Andrews) wrote in message news:<bkgfbc$qqu$panix.com>...
    [...]
    [...]

    Could you explain in which cirstances you observed such behaviour
    (configuration, release number, ...)?
    Peter Guest

  7. #7

    be (Peter Van Avermaet) writes:
    >[...]
    >
    >Could you explain in which cirstances you observed such behaviour
    >(configuration, release number, ...)?
    >[/ref]

    The installations were at customers who I spoke with over the phone.
    I don't have any of the details you're asking about, though the
    nasty batch behavior was certainly happening.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  8. #8

    "JM" <mail.today> wrote in message news:<A5Nab.406$news.prodigy.com>...

    Hi JM, you have gotten some very good suggestions already, I just
    wanted to through in one that I use successfully. Our printers are
    network printers (HP printers) with their own ip addresses listed in
    our master host file as well as in DNS. From the windows/nt side we
    use the pc print queues. On the solaris side, I have a couple of
    systems set up and running as print servers with a queue for every
    printer. All unix systems print through the unix print servers (this
    can be setup through admintool on unix clients) and all pc's print
    through the pc servers. Less confusion!!

    Sharona
    sharona Guest

  9. #9

    In article <google.com>,
    com (sharona) wrote:

    > Hi JM, you have gotten some very good suggestions already, I just
    > wanted to through in one that I use successfully. Our printers are
    > network printers (HP printers) with their own ip addresses listed in
    > our master host file as well as in DNS. From the windows/nt side we
    > use the pc print queues. On the solaris side, I have a couple of
    > systems set up and running as print servers with a queue for every
    > printer. All unix systems print through the unix print servers (this
    > can be setup through admintool on unix clients) and all pc's print
    > through the pc servers. Less confusion!![/ref]

    Interesting. The PC group initially proposed this solution but ended up
    hating it. They wanted a centralized print service that they could go
    to and cancel jobs. In this configuration, they had to find the
    offending PC that was printing the 500page doent and physically go to
    it to login and cancel the job.

    We printed everything on the MRP system from a single Solaris print
    server, so we did this already. We evaluated various UNIX/PC print
    server packages but ultimately it was faster to just deal with user
    education and wait until the next set of PCs were 'rolled out' to the
    3000 desktops.

    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    Yep! I got my answer. This is probably not going to work for me for
    number of print queues and gurentee delivery requirement.

    Thanks all! I learned lot about this interface.

    JM

    com (sharona) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    > Hi JM, you have gotten some very good suggestions already, I just
    > wanted to through in one that I use successfully. Our printers are
    > network printers (HP printers) with their own ip addresses listed in
    > our master host file as well as in DNS. From the windows/nt side we
    > use the pc print queues. On the solaris side, I have a couple of
    > systems set up and running as print servers with a queue for every
    > printer. All unix systems print through the unix print servers (this
    > can be setup through admintool on unix clients) and all pc's print
    > through the pc servers. Less confusion!!
    >
    > Sharona[/ref]
    J Guest