Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris 8 on Fujitsu-Siemens Primepower 250 server - Sun Solaris

hello everybody does anyone have experience with Fujitsu-Siemens server with Sparc64 V proccesors? How does they work in real world? Are there any problems? I have some SUN machines (about 40 x SFv100, 4 x SFv3500, few SFv280) and now i'm thinking about adding to them about 10 new machines. I was to buy SUN v240 machines, but now I have proposal from Fujitsu-Siemes to buy their machines. I have no experience with Fujitsu-Siemes and I'm afriand how all those machines will work together - it's one big system spreaded through all those servers......

  1. #1

    Default Solaris 8 on Fujitsu-Siemens Primepower 250 server

    hello everybody

    does anyone have experience with Fujitsu-Siemens server with Sparc64 V
    proccesors? How does they work in real world? Are there any problems?

    I have some SUN machines (about 40 x SFv100, 4 x SFv3500, few SFv280)
    and now i'm thinking about adding to them about 10 new machines. I was
    to buy SUN v240 machines, but now I have proposal from Fujitsu-Siemes to
    buy their machines. I have no experience with Fujitsu-Siemes and I'm
    afriand how all those machines will work together - it's one big system
    spreaded through all those servers...

    Pawel Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:21:46 +0200, Pawel Bogaczewicz wrote:

    Hi pawel

    I don't know the Fujitsu-Siemens Primepower 250.
    But have you also chekked the new Sun Fire V440?
    http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v440/
    It's a 4 CPU (With UltraSPARC IIIi) machine with 8GB RAM, and up to 4
    disks.

    If I had a "Sun Shop" like You I wouldn't change the brand just like that,
    because "I know what I got, and not what I would get".
    Sun know how to optimise both Solaris and the Hardware in a system.
    Fujitsu-Siemens only kno how to optimise the Hardware in a system. (They
    propobaly don't have the same Solaris source like Sun.)

    But I also think that Fujitsu-Siemens propobaly make good Hardware.
    So that's my 2 cents of opinion.

    Greetings from Denmark
    Kent Wormsdorf
    --
    PS. (Sorry, only in danish.)

    Er der nogen der mangler en mand med lidt viden om Sun HW og SW,
    så må I gerne sende mig en E-mail.
    Jeg er uddannet datamatiker og har senest arbejdet som teknisk presale konsulent.

    Kent Guest

  3. #3

    I believe if you get a primepower box you will be very happy. You can't beat
    thier reliability. The primepower box will work just fine with the sun boxes.
    Fujitsu does know how to optimize both hardware and software.
    Jsk1957 Guest

  4. #4

    well, the application vendor does not guarantee that his system will
    work on primepower so the case is closed. we will buy SUNs

    pawelb

    Pawel Guest

  5. #5

    Pawel Bogaczewicz <pl> wrote in message news:<bks2g3$3na$gazeta.pl>...

    too bad you gave up so easily.... Primepowers really are a good box.
    We have a mix of both Primepowers and SunFires. As far as the
    application it should be absolutely transparent as to which box it is
    running on... I would have Fujitsu bring in a test box just to verify
    if you want... And when you have to vendors supplying equipement, Sun
    and Fujitsu, you usually end of saving money...

    hth,
    john
    John Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    net (John S.) writes:

    > too bad you gave up so easily.... Primepowers really are a good box.
    > We have a mix of both Primepowers and SunFires. As far as the
    > application it should be absolutely transparent as to which box it is
    > running on... I would have Fujitsu bring in a test box just to verify
    > if you want... And when you have to vendors supplying equipement, Sun
    > and Fujitsu, you usually end of saving money...[/ref]

    Just one thing - if the Fujitsu uses a non-Sun (well, TI for Sun) CPU chip
    (like the HAL64, I think it was), I'm not sure if that will handle the VIS
    instruction set extensions. You'd tell if an executable or shared object
    was compiled with them by running the "file" command on it - it would show
    "UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required" (or UltraSPARC3 for VIS2). For example:

    # file /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/*/libmlib.so.2
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv8/libmlib.so.2: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv8plus+vis/libmlib.so.2: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv8plus+vis2/libmlib.so.2: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required, UltraSPARC3 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv8plus/libmlib.so.2: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv9+vis/libmlib.so.2: ELF 64-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARCV9 Version 1, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv9+vis2/libmlib.so.2: ELF 64-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARCV9 Version 1, UltraSPARC3 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
    /opt/SUNWmlib/lib/sparcv9/libmlib.so.2: ELF 64-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARCV9 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

    IMO, a properly packaged app that uses CPU features beyond vanilla
    sparcv7/sparcv8/sparcv9 should have multiple versions of the components
    like that, so that it would still run on CPUs that didn't have the
    extensions, but I have no idea whether or not any of that applies to the
    app(s) you have in mind.

    Another thing is testing - they just may not have tested it on the Fujitsu.
    There's always the possibility that it has a bug in some of the code (or
    even in the CPU) that the Sun doesn't - not at all likely that such would
    exist in just such a way as to cause you problems, but you don't know until
    it's actually been used, and on a similar scale, or with testing that goes
    out of its way to try to exercise different code paths and boundary
    conditions. Worse yet, there may be a bug in the app(s) that they get away
    with on the Sun but wouldn't on the Fujitsu, or even such a bug that only
    works on the Sun because of a bug there that complements it. That's now
    getting very unlikely to the point of seeming silly. But if you compare
    even the tiny risk to the large amount of $$ at stake, the risk suddenly
    may seem less comfortable.

    IMO if the apps(s) is/are popular ones (and marketed in geographic regions
    where Fujitsu is fairly big, like probably Japan and Europe), it might be
    possible to get Fujitsu and the app vendor(s) to work together to bless it
    such that the app vendor(s) would add the Fujitsu to their supported
    hardware (so you could actually get the support you might be paying for
    without a massive amount of execuses and finger-pointing).

    --
    mailto:smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil
    Richard Guest

  7. #7

    Pawel Bogaczewicz <pl> writes:

    We replaced an E450 with a Primepower 200 earlier this year. No problems.

    Systems yst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.
    Atro Guest

  8. #8

    It does.

  9. #9

    In article <supernews.com>,
    smart.net (Richard L. Hamilton) wrote:
     [/ref]

    > IMO if the apps(s) is/are popular ones (and marketed in geographic regions
    > where Fujitsu is fairly big, like probably Japan and Europe), it might be
    > possible to get Fujitsu and the app vendor(s) to work together to bless it
    > such that the app vendor(s) would add the Fujitsu to their supported
    > hardware (so you could actually get the support you might be paying for
    > without a massive amount of execuses and finger-pointing).[/ref]

    Some years ago I worked as a sysadmin contractor at HAL (the vendor that
    Fujitsu bought that created the first 64-bit SPARC). This was around
    the Solaris 2.4/2.5 timeframe. HAL had their Solaris64 version of 2.4
    running on their boxes. Most everything I built and setup ran just fine
    in their environment (SCO, SunOS 4, Solaris, HP/UX 9, and 10). The
    notable exception was xntp. It crashed big-time on the HAL boxes due to
    a bug in their 64-bit implementation of the stuff. I moved on some 9
    months later before they fixed it.

    Also, we had to use the Fujitsu cc-64 compilers. gcc didn't know what
    to do with the system. Has gcc 3.3.x been updated to work with HAL
    boxes?

    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    HI,

    Kent Wormsdorf wrote:

    > If I had a "Sun Shop" like You I wouldn't change the brand just like that,
    > because "I know what I got, and not what I would get".
    > Sun know how to optimise both Solaris and the Hardware in a system.
    > Fujitsu-Siemens only kno how to optimise the Hardware in a system. (They
    > propobaly don't have the same Solaris source like Sun.)[/ref]
    According to SUN there is only one Solaris and olny one, so The
    Fujitsu-Siemens is supported via Solaris.

    I also think that /usr/platfrom/FJSV,GPUSC-L is for the Primepower.

    /michael

    Michael Guest