Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris 9 08/03 x86 on a DELL PowerEdge 2650 - Sun Solaris

Hello, I just had a look a the latest Solaris (x86 Platform) HCL at http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/systems/views/desktop_server_system.html and saw that the DELL PowerEdge 2650 server is Sun Certified. That's a good news as I always wanted to use Solaris 9 on that box instead of Linux. Before experimenting with install Solaris 9 on that server I would really like to be sure it works as the PE2650 servers from Dell have different configurations. For example I have the following hardware in it: - Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit on-board NIC BCM5701 (2 x) - RAID bus controller: American Megatrends Inc. MegaRAID (rev 20) (Dell ...

  1. #1

    Default Solaris 9 08/03 x86 on a DELL PowerEdge 2650

    Hello,

    I just had a look a the latest Solaris (x86 Platform) HCL at
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/systems/views/desktop_server_system.html
    and saw that the DELL PowerEdge 2650 server is Sun Certified. That's a
    good news as I always wanted to use Solaris 9 on that box instead of
    Linux.

    Before experimenting with install Solaris 9 on that server I would
    really like to be sure it works as the PE2650 servers from Dell have
    different configurations. For example I have the following hardware in
    it:

    - Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit on-board NIC BCM5701 (2 x)
    - RAID bus controller: American Megatrends Inc. MegaRAID (rev 20) (Dell
    Computer Corporation PowerEdge RAID Controller 3/DC)

    And what worries me about these two components is that I cannot see any
    references in the Solaris x86 HCL website about these. So I am wondering
    if Solaris would really work on that server with that hardware.

    Does anyone have experience installing Solaris 9 x86 on a Dell PowerEdge
    2650 with that same kind of equipement ? I would be very pleased if
    someone could post comments about this.

    Many thanks in advance

    Regards

    synuw Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solaris 9 08/03 x86 on a DELL PowerEdge 2650

    I tried to install X86 solaris 8 or 9 on Dell 2650 for a month, and we had
    to use Linux RedHat due to the lack of support on solaris from Dell.
    As we talked to Dell about Solaris 8/9 driver support issue, they asked me
    why I was trying to install unsupported?????? and then I was told it would
    take years to have complete drivers for X86 solaris.

    Also, I tried to install X86 solaris 8 or 9 on Dell 6650, it got worse.

    I really don't know how Dell certified X86 solaris, but my recommendation
    for X86 solaris would be "Compaq". I personally like using Dell servers
    with Linux, but I do not prefer Dell on X86 solaris. My team was able to
    install X86 solaris 8 and 9 on Compaq desktop/workstation and server without
    sweat.

    Good Luck,

    "synuw" <com> wrote in message
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/systems/views/desktop_server_system.html

    Jason Guest

  3. #3

    Jason Chongwook Hong wrote:

    First thanks for your comments !!

    I think Sun shouldn't give so easily "Certified" hardware if it doesn't
    even work properly. I wonder how got it's hardware certified for Solaris
    9 x86, maybe for money ?!?

    Argh, I was at the beginning planning to buy a Compaq server but then
    changed for Dell. What I bad idea... I really would like to get rid of
    Linux but it looks like I will now have to stick with it :((

    Regards

    Syn Guest

  4. #4

    Syn <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > First thanks for your comments !!
    >
    > I think Sun shouldn't give so easily "Certified" hardware if it doesn't
    > even work properly. I wonder how got it's hardware certified for Solaris
    > 9 x86, maybe for money ?!?
    >

    > Argh, I was at the beginning planning to buy a Compaq server but then
    > changed for Dell. What I bad idea... I really would like to get rid of
    > Linux but it looks like I will now have to stick with it :((
    >
    > Regards[/ref]

    I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I'm running SuSE Linux on a
    Dell PowerEdge 2650. It runs like a champ. I also have Solaris x86
    on a Compaq workstation (installed without difficulties) and Solaris
    on Sun. Attempting Solaris x86 on a Toshiba laptop, however, was a
    nightmare. Annnyway, if I had the option, I would replace Solaris (on
    Sun & Intel) with Linux. Solaris is great when it works and when
    you're willing to pay a LOT of money for... nothing spectacular.
    Linux is easier to configure/tune, easier to secure, and has faster
    updates (e.g., Sun's SSH). I can't imagine why you'd prefer Solaris
    on Intel over Linux. These are most likely matters of taste.
    Todd Guest

  5. #5

    On 30 Sep 2003, Todd Sayers wrote:

    You'd run Linux on a SPARC? You're crazier than I thought!

    Really? Apart from a better x86 HCL (and hype), what does
    Linux offer that Solaris doesn't?

    Bah. Anything you know is easier to configure than something
    you don't.

    S'funny, I was thinking exactly the opposite: I can't imagine
    why (HCL issues aside) why one would prefer Lintel to Solaris
    x86. Especialy if there's a chance that some SPARC hardware
    might be in the mix.

    Anyone running Linux on SPARC in a production environment
    ought to be fired for incompetence, IMHO.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  6. #6

    Rich Teer <com> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.44.0309301444430.29865-100000zaphod>...

    > You'd run Linux on a SPARC? You're crazier than I thought!

    > Really? Apart from a better x86 HCL (and hype), what does
    > Linux offer that Solaris doesn't?

    > Bah. Anything you know is easier to configure than something
    > you don't.

    > S'funny, I was thinking exactly the opposite: I can't imagine
    > why (HCL issues aside) why one would prefer Lintel to Solaris
    > x86. Especialy if there's a chance that some SPARC hardware
    > might be in the mix.
    >
    > Anyone running Linux on SPARC in a production environment
    > ought to be fired for incompetence, IMHO.[/ref]

    Rich -- I seem to have been misunderstood. I appologize for my
    failure to communicate clearly. I don't run Linux on Sun. That would
    be... well, not such a great idea. If you have Sun hardware, you run
    Solaris. Solaris runs best on Sun hardware. I've had great luck with
    Linux (with possible exception of configuring Oracle on Linux). In my
    OPINION, Sun is cost-prohibitive and... I don't believe that the cost
    is "warranted." Given the same budget, the shop that outfits with
    Linux/Intel will get more for their money. This is assuming the the
    applications have been certified on Linux [and on Solaris]. I don't
    believe that Sun is necessarily better. I see the two operating
    systems as equivalent. Again, it's just my opinion.
    Todd Guest

  7. #7

    On 30 Sep 2003, Todd Sayers wrote:

    Phew!

    This much we agree on.

    What about Sun x86 hardware (like the V65x), running Solaris x86? You
    get the admittedly better price/performance of x86 AND the better kernel
    of Solaris, without the (lack of) device support issues.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  8. #8

    synuw <com> wrote:

    Forget about RAID controller (switch it off in bios).
    Broadcom - I'm using drivers from Dell support page on Solaris 9
    and have no pproblems at all. There's Broadcom driver
    on Broadcom web pages - but last time I was looking at it I had
    some problems - anyway the one from Dell is working without any problems.
    Once you've got these drivers there should
    be no problem at all (at least it works without any problems for me).

    --
    Robert Milkowski
    pl