Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris 9 08/03 X display issues - Sun Solaris

Hi, I have just done an install of Solaris 9 08/03 on an Ultra 2 with a Creator 3D framebuffer. I notice that X sometimes appears to have problems. For example when Netscape 7 is iconified, and you open the window there is a discernable delay when the window is repainted, during which a ghost effect of underlying windows can be seen. Also the CDE login prompt 'Solaris 9' branding looks as if it is suffering from some color map issues. None of these problems were apparent when the identical hardware config was running Solaris 8 for the last two ...

  1. #1

    Default Solaris 9 08/03 X display issues

    Hi,

    I have just done an install of Solaris 9 08/03 on an Ultra 2 with a Creator
    3D framebuffer. I notice that X sometimes appears to have problems. For
    example when Netscape 7 is iconified, and you open the window there is a
    discernable delay when the window is repainted, during which a ghost effect
    of underlying windows can be seen.

    Also the CDE login prompt 'Solaris 9' branding looks as if it is suffering
    from some color map issues. None of these problems were apparent when the
    identical hardware config was running Solaris 8 for the last two years.

    Has anyone seen similar behaviour, or might know what might be causing this?

    Thanks and regards,
    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solaris 9 08/03 X display issues

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:40:48 +1000, Andrew Tyson wrote:

    $ xwininfo

    xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
    would like information by clicking the
    mouse in that window.

    xwininfo: Window id: 0x380009 "Terminal"

    Depth: 24
    Visual Class: TrueColor

    If Depth is 8 then google this NG for "defdepth". Within the last week
    the fix was posted at least twice.

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    > Depth: 24

    The Netscape window is running 24/Recolor. Unusually the icon is only in
    8/PseudoColor.

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 00:30:58 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > $ xwininfo
    >
    > xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
    > would like information by clicking the mouse in that window.
    >
    > xwininfo: Window id: 0x380009 "Terminal"
    >

    >[/ref]
    I see exactly the same thing. When CDE, KDE or Gnome start up their icons
    look like I'm running in two-bit colour :-) I am using Mozilla instead of
    Netscape but I also see the ghost when I start it up, I see what appears
    to be an 8-bit image of the last thing that had been on the screen
    (including the last Mozilla page if I stop then restart Mozilla). An
    "xwininfo" of the running Mozilla window shows:

    Depth: 24
    Visual Class: TrueColor

    Funnily though, my Gnome background (desktop picture) and the application
    Pan that I am using to read/compose news both show something different:

    Depth: 8
    Visual Class: PseudoColor

    As you say, wasn't like that with Solaris 8 (nor do I remember it with
    Solaris 9 NOT 8/03). Wonder what they broke?

    --
    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH

    Andy Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:25:49 +1000, Andrew Tyson wrote:

    > The Netscape window is running 24/Recolor. Unusually the icon is only in
    > 8/PseudoColor.[/ref]

    Netscape 7 running under Solaris 9 4/03 with MU4. Ultra-1/170E with C3D
    and OpenGL installed:

    xwininfo: Window id: 0xe8002c "Ig Nobel Awards 2003 - Netscape"

    Depth: 24
    Visual Class: TrueColor

    The Icon:

    xwininfo: Window id: 0x7003ba (has no name)

    Depth: 24
    Visual Class: TrueColor

    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    "Andrew Tyson" <asptysonATyahooD0TcomD0Tau> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |Also the CDE login prompt 'Solaris 9' branding looks as if it is suffering
    |from some color map issues. None of these problems were apparent when the
    |identical hardware config was running Solaris 8 for the last two years.

    The Solaris 9 8/03 branding logo should have only a handful of colors and
    work well in any depth. (They changed the logo at 4/03 - previously it
    was white "ripples" on a purple background - now it looks like the S9
    boxes - white background with a big 9.)

    In any case, are you sure your graphics configuration is the same as
    before? Had you set the default color depth to 24-bit on S8 and
    forgot to do that on S9?

    Alan Coopersmith calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: COM
    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    > In any case, are you sure your graphics configuration is the same as

    I had modified the /etc/dt/config/Xservers file on the S8 installation to
    accommodate a dual head config, however I don't recall having had to modify
    the file previously.

    In any case I modified /etc/dt/config/Xservers on S9 identifying the Creator
    using "-dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24 defclass TrueColour" but I still get
    the problem. I guess that it must be a bug in the Xserver with the 08/03
    release of S9?

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:23:24 +1000, Andrew Tyson wrote:

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Get rid of that. It's spelled wrong anyway :)

    Dave Guest

  9. #9

    "Andrew Tyson" <asptysonATyahooD0TcomD0Tau> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |In any case I modified /etc/dt/config/Xservers on S9 identifying the Creator
    |using "-dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24 defclass TrueColour" but I still get
    |the problem. I guess that it must be a bug in the Xserver with the 08/03
    |release of S9?

    If so, it's not one I've seen reported to our team (I work in the Xsun
    team) - though it could be a Creator 3D driver bug (the drivers come
    from a separate team). Have you installed the latest Xsun & Creator/FFB
    patches?

  10. #10

    > > using "-dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24 defclass TrueColour" but I still
    get

    Excuse my Australian spelling - the config file is correct (i.e. TrueColor).

    AFAIK that's the standard way to enforce Framebuffer config settings for
    the X server.

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  11. #11

    > If so, it's not one I've seen reported to our team (I work in the Xsun

    Are the patches part of the recommended patch bundle on sunsolve ?
    I have patched the OS with a bundle downloaded last week - so it's
    up to date.

    Thanks and regards,
    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  12. #12

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:00:57 +1000, Andrew Tyson wrote:
     [/ref]
    > get
    >
    > Excuse my Australian spelling - the config file is correct (i.e. TrueColor).[/ref]

    The Xservers file spelling is what matters.

    The defclass argument is not required. Remove it and see if you get
    TrueColor. I have shown the relevant outputs of xwininfo and in both
    cases my display has 24 bit, TrueColor output. The relevant part of
    /etc/dt/config/Xservers is:

    -dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24

    It may be that the 8/03 release clobbered Xsun, but not likely. MU4
    should have upgraded mine from the 4/03 release identically.

    Dave Guest

  13. #13

    Yes - that's fixed it! Pretty unusual that the 'defclass TrueColor' was
    causing a problem. I was definitely setting this in my S8
    /etc/dt/config/Xservers file, and the Xsun man page with the S9 08/03
    release identifies it as the means for specifying the default visual.

    Thanks and regards,
    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  15. #15

    Andy,

    In case you're still having this problem, Dave kindly pointed me in the
    right direction. You need to create/edit the /etc/dt/config/Xservers
    file and add the following (assuming Creator framebuffer - substitute
    different device driver as applicable).

    :0 Local local_uidconsole root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner
    -dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24

    Regards,
    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  17. #17

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:56:18 +1000, Andrew Tyson wrote:

    > Andy,
    >
    > In case you're still having this problem, Dave kindly pointed me in the
    > right direction. You need to create/edit the /etc/dt/config/Xservers
    > file and add the following (assuming Creator framebuffer - substitute
    > different device driver as applicable).
    >
    > :0 Local local_uidconsole root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner
    > -dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andrew[/ref]

    Andrew,

    Thanks for that. Now running 24 bit (truecolour) and my screen looks much
    prettier!

    ---
    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH
    http://www.rickham.net/

    Andy Guest

  18. #18

    "Andrew Tyson" <asptysonATyahooD0TcomD0Tau> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |> If so, it's not one I've seen reported to our team (I work in the Xsun
    |> team) - though it could be a Creator 3D driver bug (the drivers come
    |> from a separate team). Have you installed the latest Xsun & Creator/FFB
    |> patches?
    |
    |Are the patches part of the recommended patch bundle on sunsolve ?
    |I have patched the OS with a bundle downloaded last week - so it's
    |up to date.

    The Xsun one is, but I don't believe the Creator/FFB patch is.

  19. #19

    Alan,

    Dave identified the problem - adding a '-dev /dev/fbs/ffb0 defpeth 24'
    switch
    in /etc/dt/config/Xservers resolves the issue. For some reason adding
    'defclass TrueColor'
    causes problems though.

    Thanks and regards,
    Andrew