Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris 9 License Question - Sun Solaris

Hi We are renting a dual processor solaris box to test the performace / stablity of an application. I know I can get a free copy of the OS that will use 1 CPU. My question is when I buy the upgarde license to use both CPU do they send me a key etc ? or does the other processor turn on by default and the license is only for support purposes ? Naturally when we start to use the app for real we will buy the FULL lot form Sun Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Solaris 9 License Question

    rc@die@you@!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solaris 9 License Question

    [email]rcdieyou!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk[/email] wrote:
    > Hi
    > We are renting a dual processor solaris box to test the performace /
    > stablity of an application.
    > I know I can get a free copy of the OS that will use 1 CPU.
    No. That phrase is incorrect.

    You may be able to get a copy of the OS, but that is software. It will
    use any CPUs found.

    You can get a license to use that OS for free, under certain conditions
    (such as the machine being a single processor).

    The OS will use all CPUS. Whether you have a valid license to use that
    OS on a particular machine is a separate question.
    > question is when I buy the upgarde license to use both CPU do they
    > send me a key etc?
    No. I don't know of any "upgrade license". You purchase a RTU (right
    to use) license. Such a license would come with any new hardware from
    Sun. See the Sun web page or your Sun rep for other information.
    > or does the other processor turn on by default and
    > the license is only for support purposes ?
    The OS and hardware have no interaction with these licenses.

    --
    Darren Dunham [email]ddunhamtaos.com[/email]
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  3. #3

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:02:46 GMT, Darren Dunham
    <ddunhamredwood.taos.com> wrote:
    >rcdieyou!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk wrote:
    >> Hi
    >
    >> We are renting a dual processor solaris box to test the performace /
    >> stablity of an application.
    >
    >> I know I can get a free copy of the OS that will use 1 CPU.
    >
    >No. That phrase is incorrect.
    >
    >You may be able to get a copy of the OS, but that is software. It will
    >use any CPUs found.
    >
    >You can get a license to use that OS for free, under certain conditions
    >(such as the machine being a single processor).
    >
    >The OS will use all CPUS. Whether you have a valid license to use that
    >OS on a particular machine is a separate question.
    >
    >> question is when I buy the upgarde license to use both CPU do they
    >> send me a key etc?
    >
    >No. I don't know of any "upgrade license". You purchase a RTU (right
    >to use) license. Such a license would come with any new hardware from
    >Sun. See the Sun web page or your Sun rep for other information.
    >
    >> or does the other processor turn on by default and
    >> the license is only for support purposes ?
    >
    >The OS and hardware have no interaction with these licenses.
    From both of your replies am I right in assuming that, Solaris 9 for
    Sparc processor , which is availabe for download from Sun will use
    both CPU on my "rented" machine ?

    rc@die@you@!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk Guest