Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris Reinstall on Ultra 5 - Sun Solaris

I have a sun ultra 5 which had linux boot loader (SILO) on the machine but the HD has no active partitions on it (only partition 3 which is SUNs 'whole Disk' partition). I am trying yo reinstall Solaris 8, but every time i do i get the following message: Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -r Boot device: /pci1f,0/pci1,1/ide3/cdrom2,0:f File and args: -r Short disk read The file just loaded does not appear to be executable. I have tried resetting the NVram with Stop+N incase it was that which was causing it, but still to no avail. Has anyone got ...

  1. #1

    Default Solaris Reinstall on Ultra 5

    I have a sun ultra 5 which had linux boot loader (SILO) on the machine
    but the HD has no active partitions on it (only partition 3 which is
    SUNs 'whole Disk' partition). I am trying yo reinstall Solaris 8, but
    every time i do i get the following message:

    Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -r
    Boot device: /pci1f,0/pci1,1/ide3/cdrom2,0:f File and args: -r
    Short disk read
    The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.

    I have tried resetting the NVram with Stop+N incase it was that which
    was causing it, but still to no avail.

    Has anyone got any suggestions?

    The machine is a basic Ultra 5 with no pieces missing or added, all
    standard components, and a working copy of Solaris 8 on CD.

    Thanks

    Majestic
    /V\ajestic Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solaris Reinstall on Ultra 5

    "/Vajestic" <net> escribió en el mensaje

    A working copy of Solaris 8 ? SURE??
    I think boot cd is broken.
    Try booting from Sol8 Software cd 1.
    Or try booting on another machine with this cd.

    Nacho Guest

  3. #3

    /Vajestic wrote:

    Reconfirm - is that a Sun CD drive? And an original from Sun copy of
    Solaris?

    It sounds to me like either the drive or the CD is the problem.

    BTW, lose the "-r" -- even if it made sense, it couldn't re-write the
    device info on the CD.

    --
    After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the
    "SWEN" worm, I have concluded we must conceal our

    Charlie

    CJT Guest

  4. #4

    As others have suggested with the disk you are using.

    On the Cdrom, have you changed any jumpers or cables?

    Have you tried probe-ide? Perhaps the alias for cdrom is wrong?

    Other option is to install the OS over the network...

    Wayne Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Wayne Rasmussen wrote:
     [/ref]

    This has nothing to do with your harddisk, try this at OBP prompt.

    set-defaults
    setenv auto-boot? false

    reset
    when back at prompt
    boot cdrom -v

    still same problem?
    You dont need the -r when booting from the cdrom, its always there.

    If the problems persists, the media OR the CD-Rom is probably faulty,
    perhaps even both :-) Try with a different mediakit, or release.
    Try cleaning the reader (they do get dirty after a time, especially if
    they are subject to some users environment)

    If nothing of this helps, you might have to replace the CD-Rom, IDE's ones
    are quite cheap, just remember to strap it for 512byte blocks, most CD's
    come with 2048byte blocks :-) (actually not sure if thats needed on IDE
    ones :)

     [/ref]

    /Johan A

    Mr. Guest

  6. #6

    > If nothing of this helps, you might have to replace the CD-Rom, IDE's ones

    I have an ultra 5 and had to replace the cdrom drive recently. I put
    in a 3rd party generic cd-rw, and it works in all aspects without
    needing any configuration adjustments. Just mt $0.02. Ted
    frogswallow Guest

  7. #7

    "Mr. Johan Andersson" wrote:
     [/ref]

    > This has nothing to do with your harddisk, try this at OBP prompt.[/ref]

    I don't think anyone suggested the "hard disk". cd related yes, but not the
    hard disk.
     [/ref]

    > /Johan A[/ref]

    Wayne Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Wayne Rasmussen wrote:

    > > This has nothing to do with your harddisk, try this at OBP prompt.[/ref]
    >
    > I don't think anyone suggested the "hard disk". cd related yes, but not the
    > hard disk.[/ref]

    Yes and no, he refers to the disk having had a linux on it, hence a
    reference to it like a possible culprit of the problem. I know he probably
    didnt think so, but I clarified it anyway.

    Then I went into the CD problem.

    /Johan A

    Mr. Guest