Professional Web Applications Themes

Solaris sendmail errors: How to make go away - Sun Solaris

We have a system that, by design, should have very little contact with the Internet. That is, it only needs to be able to pass mail between local users. As a result the system name is something simple (e.g., "mysystemname") and there is no domain set (the "domainname" command generates null output). However, whenever I send mail, the following set of errors shows up in the /var/adm/messages file. The mail does go through, after a few minutes delay. How to make these messages go away - and the mail to go through immediately? Oct 11 17:25:31 mysystemname sendmail[16155]: [ID 702911 ...

  1. #1

    Default Solaris sendmail errors: How to make go away

    We have a system that, by design, should have very little contact with the
    Internet. That is, it only needs to be able to pass mail between local
    users. As a result the system name is something simple (e.g., "mysystemname")
    and there is no domain set (the "domainname" command generates null output).

    However, whenever I send mail, the following set of errors shows up in the
    /var/adm/messages file. The mail does go through, after a few minutes
    delay. How to make these messages go away - and the mail to go through
    immediately?

    Oct 11 17:25:31 mysystemname sendmail[16155]: [ID 702911 mail.crit] My unqualified host name (mysystemname) unknown; sleeping for retry
    Oct 11 17:25:31 mysystemname sendmail[16156]: [ID 702911 mail.crit] My unqualified host name (mysystemname) unknown; sleeping for retry
    Oct 11 17:26:31 mysystemname sendmail[16155]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (mysystemname) -- using short name
    Oct 11 17:26:31 mysystemname sendmail[16156]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (mysystemname) -- using short name

    Kenny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solaris sendmail errors: How to make go away

    interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    I found this in my sendmail.cf. Perhaps it's related.

    # my official domain name
    # ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
    # Djmy.domain.com

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    sf.net

  3. #3

    interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    You can fix that in "/etc/hosts"

    Change:

    1.2.3.4 mysystemname

    1.2.3.4 mysystemname mysystemname.some.domain

    Neil Guest

  4. #4

    >>> Neil W Rickert wrote:
     [/ref]
    NWR> You can fix that in "/etc/hosts"
    NWR> Change:
    NWR> 1.2.3.4 mysystemname
    NWR> 1.2.3.4 mysystemname mysystemname.some.domain

    Whether FQDN should be first in /etc/hosts for this?

    -netch-
    Valentin Guest

  5. #5

    In article <5C4ib.1083$news.prodigy.com>,
    Neil W Rickert <rickert+niu.edu> wrote:

    >You can fix that in "/etc/hosts"
    >
    >Change:
    >
    >1.2.3.4 mysystemname

    >1.2.3.4 mysystemname mysystemname.some.domain[/ref]

    Indeed - I tried that. Now, I get a different set of problems.

    The point is that there is no valid domain for this machine. The mail
    system seems to insist that there should be. This did not happen before
    (note that the larger context of this problem is that we recently upgraded
    this machine from Solaris 5 to Solaris 9).

    If I do as you suggest (put in something like: mysystemname.nodomain or
    whatever), then when I send mail, I got a whole bunch of BS in the mailbox
    about the thing being undeliverable, etc, etc.

    Any further suggestions? Thanks.

    Kenny Guest

  6. #6

    Valentin Nechayev <kiev.ua> writes:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
    >NWR> You can fix that in "/etc/hosts"
    >NWR> Change:
    >NWR> 1.2.3.4 mysystemname
    >NWR> 1.2.3.4 mysystemname mysystemname.some.domain[/ref]

    Sendmail will get the fully qualified name either way.

    Neil Guest

  7. #7

    interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    The standards say that there should be a domain. You can always
    create a private domain name, and use it throughout your private
    network.

    The sendmail on solaris 5 (version SMI-8.6) was badly broken.

    Neil Guest

  8. #8

    In article <aQcib.1127$news.prodigy.com>,
    Neil W Rickert <rickert+niu.edu> wrote:

    >The standards say that there should be a domain.[/ref]

    So, there's no way to turn this "feature" off?

    How do I do that? (Serious question, since I already tried things like
    "mysystemname.nodomain" or "mysystemname.mycompanyname.com" or whatever...)
    Kenny Guest

  9. #9

    Kenny McCormack wrote:

    >>The standards say that there should be a domain.[/ref]
    >

    > So, there's no way to turn this "feature" off?
    >
    >[/ref]
    It is possible to recompile Sendmail from source code with
    ENVDEF=-DNAMED_BIND=0

    To produce a Sendmail binary without DNS code.
    The binary compiled that way would be uselees for internet mail
    delivery.
    The assumption is that users generally wants mail delivered regardless
    of where the adresse lives.

    //Lars

    Lars Guest

  10. #10

    Kenny McCormack wrote:

    >>The standards say that there should be a domain.[/ref]
    >

    > So, there's no way to turn this "feature" off?[/ref]

    I am not a sendmail expert (and comp.unix.programmer is not an
    appropriate forum for sendmail config discussions). But it should be
    noted that recent sendmail versions have added a DNS verification
    feature as a spam-fighting measure. I.e., at least in the default
    configuration, they attempt to verify that the domain the message claims
    to be from actually exists, and they will sometimes rewrite the return
    address to fit what DNS reports. This is doented somewhere, as is the
    config macro for turning it off.

    Mohun Guest

  11. #11

    In article <6deib.147013$bredband.com>,
    Lars Tunkrans <net> wrote:

    >> So, there's no way to turn this "feature" off?
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >It is possible to recompile Sendmail from source code with
    >ENVDEF=-DNAMED_BIND=0[/ref]

    Thanks. I'll try that.

    Nobody is denying for a second that these features are good and useful, when
    needed. However, they are not needed in our setup - which is a very
    localized machine, where mail is only exchanged between local users.

    You can think of it either as a high security installation or as a very
    old-fashioned one. We are using Unix mail the way it was used in 1980.

    Kenny Guest

  12. #12

    com said:

    >>The standards say that there should be a domain.[/ref]
    >
    >So, there's no way to turn this "feature" off?[/ref]

    There is -- I've been able to get sendmail running in an environment
    where no DNS was available - and without recompiling. Did require
    rather odd configuration tricks, though. For that environment reduction
    of all external dependencies was crucial, and the hosts with which the
    machine exhanged messages were limited in number and appeared (and
    disappeared) in a controlled way, so all configuration could be kept
    in mailertable, /etc/hosts, etc.

    In comparision, it was easier to set up a private DNS and have sendmail
    use it. So, if your environment doesn't require the very minimalistic
    approach, do set up a local DNS server for the network. Sendmail will
    be a lot happier, and you might avoid some other oddnesses as well.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++ L+++ E- W+$ N++ !K w !O !M V

  13. #13

    In article <bmc2sb$n02$ichaos-int>,
    Juha Laiho <fi> wrote:

    >>So, there's no way to turn this "feature" off?[/ref]
    >
    >There is -- I've been able to get sendmail running in an environment
    >where no DNS was available - and without recompiling. Did require
    >rather odd configuration tricks, though. For that environment reduction
    >of all external dependencies was crucial, and the hosts with which the
    >machine exhanged messages were limited in number and appeared (and
    >disappeared) in a controlled way, so all configuration could be kept
    >in mailertable, /etc/hosts, etc.[/ref]

    Aha - a useful reply. Can you tell me how to do this (in email if you
    prefer) ?

    I can do this - getting access to a DNS is not the problem. The central
    problem is that when the system was installed, it was setup w/o DNS, and I'm
    not sure how to turn it on now (after the fact, w/o re-installing). If
    I put stuff in /etc/resolv.conf (Yes, I know the format of this file), do
    I need to reboot to make it take effect?

    Kenny Guest