Professional Web Applications Themes

Soligor flash mystery - Photography

I inherited a small Soligor strobe, MK 24ASII without an instruction manual. The Soligor web site doesn't even list this model which I'm sure is several years old, and doesn't offer downloads of the manuals anyway. There are several items on the back side of the unit. There's a calculator dial with various ASA and DIN values, distances, and f/stops. There's also a 5-position slide switch. The positions are labeled M (white), A (blue), A (green), A (red), and a white star. I have no idea whatever what these labels mean. The is a two-position slide swith labeled ON and ...

  1. #1

    Default Soligor flash mystery

    I inherited a small Soligor strobe, MK 24ASII without an instruction
    manual. The Soligor web site doesn't even list this model which I'm
    sure is several years old, and doesn't offer downloads of the manuals
    anyway.

    There are several items on the back side of the unit.

    There's a calculator dial with various ASA and DIN values, distances,
    and f/stops.

    There's also a 5-position slide switch. The positions are labeled M
    (white), A (blue), A (green), A (red), and a white star. I have no
    idea whatever what these labels mean.

    The is a two-position slide swith labeled ON and OFF. I figured
    this one out.

    There is a READY/TEST light which lit up when I put fresh batteries
    into the unit and turned it on. There's another light labeled C. L.
    the purpose of which I have no idea.

    On the front there is what appears to be a tiny lens, probably for an
    electric eye or autofocus device.

    The flash unit itself swivels from straight up to straight forward
    (the unit is constructed on an angle so when fastened to a shoe on top
    of a camera, the unit leans forward a bit)

    There's a shoe mount but it isn't a hot shoe.

    I can't find where a flash cord would connect except for a very small
    hole on the left side. It might be for a micro plug; I can't tell.

    Does anyone have any ideas where I might pick up a manual? And, does
    anyone have any information or comments about this unit, good or bad?

    -Len

    LenS Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Soligor flash mystery

    Well, as for the hole in the side, that would be a receptacle for a PC cord,
    the other end of which would plug into a similar hole in your camera, or to
    a PC adapter attached to your hot shoe mount. Can't speak to most of the
    other features, but suspect the calculator is used to determine the proper
    f-stop to use when the shooting distance to the subject is known, assuming
    you have set the camera to either it's X-sync shutter speed or slower.
    Usually around 1/60 with many cameras. The tiny lens might be a red eye
    reduction strobe or AF assister. The fact that the head swivels up and down
    makes it a bounce flash, which helps make for more natural lighting of the
    subject in some situations, and itself reduces redeye when swung up some, by
    not flashing directly in the subjects eyes. You might find the flash lens
    pulls out in several steps, which makes it useful for zoom shots. All the
    way out for long shots, and in for wide shots.

    "LenS" <lenstonnospam.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I inherited a small Soligor strobe, MK 24ASII without an instruction
    > manual. The Soligor web site doesn't even list this model which I'm
    > sure is several years old, and doesn't offer downloads of the manuals
    > anyway.
    >
    > There are several items on the back side of the unit.
    >
    > There's a calculator dial with various ASA and DIN values, distances,
    > and f/stops.
    >
    > There's also a 5-position slide switch. The positions are labeled M
    > (white), A (blue), A (green), A (red), and a white star. I have no
    > idea whatever what these labels mean.
    >
    > The is a two-position slide swith labeled ON and OFF. I figured
    > this one out.
    >
    > There is a READY/TEST light which lit up when I put fresh batteries
    > into the unit and turned it on. There's another light labeled C. L.
    > the purpose of which I have no idea.
    >
    > On the front there is what appears to be a tiny lens, probably for an
    > electric eye or autofocus device.
    >
    > The flash unit itself swivels from straight up to straight forward
    > (the unit is constructed on an angle so when fastened to a shoe on top
    > of a camera, the unit leans forward a bit)
    >
    > There's a shoe mount but it isn't a hot shoe.
    >
    > I can't find where a flash cord would connect except for a very small
    > hole on the left side. It might be for a micro plug; I can't tell.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas where I might pick up a manual? And, does
    > anyone have any information or comments about this unit, good or bad?
    >
    > -Len

    John Garrison Guest

  3. #3

    The little lens on the front measures the light output of the flash, and shuts
    it off when the subject is properly lit. This only works in the auto modes. The
    chart on the back is prolly color coded, and will tell you which mode, the "A"
    settings to use depending of f-stop and distance. The CL is probably a light
    that goes on when you've given the shot enough lite. A confirmation light. The
    ready/test lite just goes on when the light is fully, or almost fully charged.
    In other words, When the light goes on, wait a few more seconds, point it at
    the shot, push the light and then if the CL light goes on you have enough light
    for the shot. If not, you have to dial in more power. To find out the Guide
    Number for the manual setting, it's best to borrow a meter or shoot a couple of
    test shots. The quoted # isn't always accurate. As far as the PC cord, there
    are different lengths, so you might have to look for one that goes all the way
    in, the stick a pin in the contact at the other end. If it fires, that's the
    one. No fire, wrong wire. Hope this helps. Bob Hickey
    Hickster0711 Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the response.

    You're right, the exposure calculator is color coded to match the red,
    green, and white slide switch but it will take some experimentation to
    figure out just how to use it.

    I'll stop in at a photo shop for a flash cord. I must say that I've
    never seen one with a micro plug on the camera end, but then I haven't
    bought any photography hardware since the 70's when I retired from
    professional photography. Back then my cameras of choice were 2-1/4" X
    2-1/4" and 4" X 5", and my strobe was a 512 volt Honeywell. Much
    different from the miniature strobes of today.

    When I get the strobe going I'll make some test shots to verify the
    calculator and to see if the CL light is what we think it is.

    Thanks again,

    -Len

    On 17 Jul 2003 01:36:15 GMT, com (Hickster0711)

    LenS Guest