Professional Web Applications Themes

Some kind of intranet update system for FreeBSD? - FreeBSD

Hello! I know this has been brought up a number of times and I doubt that it is the right place to post to or even a right subject to raise, but still. It seems we lack some update system in FreeBSD. I have only 2 freebsd boxes, one serving as an internet gateway for the other. And whenever I want to update the latter one, I think about all the traffic that I'm gonna waste and CPU time to build and my own time to get some distros from one machine to another. I dream about a server running ...

  1. #1

    Default Some kind of intranet update system for FreeBSD?

    Hello!

    I know this has been brought up a number of times
    and I doubt that it is the right place to post to
    or even a right subject to raise, but still.

    It seems we lack some update system in FreeBSD. I
    have only 2 freebsd boxes, one serving as an
    internet gateway for the other. And whenever I want
    to update the latter one, I think about all the
    traffic that I'm gonna waste and CPU time to build
    and my own time to get some distros from one machine
    to another.

    I dream about a server running on my main machine,
    which gets queries from intranet freebsd boxes that
    want to be updated. The server negotiates with each
    client and acts as requested:
    1.1) fetches a binary package, or
    1.2) fetches a source package, or
    1.3) finds a binary/source in its cache, and
    2) builds a package if needed, and
    3) gives binary/source to the client

    Is that so difficult? C'mon guys, just one step
    forward to perfection :)

    Very best wishes,
    Andrew P.

    P.S.: M$ SUS 1.x s so hard that I can't even
    find the right words to describe it. Sorry :)
    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    On Saturday 02 April 2005 01:57 pm, Andrew P. wrote:

    AP,

    Outside of running your own cvsup service on your LAN (which still
    wouldn't include distfiles), there are just too many factors
    involved in what you are proposing... and obvious instance
    being, station A may/may not want/need certain flags involved
    with it's build whereas station B would.

    I had a cvsup service on my fileserver for a little while (not
    practical for me, but I wanted the learn). Outside of setting up
    something like that, I just don't see how it could be practical
    (esp if it's just for two boxes).

    Of course, you could set your boxes up to share the distfiles.

    HTH,

    WizLayer

    P.S. the proposed "step forward to perfection" sounds more like a
    step towards the MS way of thinking (the "make 'em stupid, keep
    'em stupid" thing).
    wizlayer Guest

  3. #3

    "Andrew P." <ru> writes:

    Are you able to run NFS?

    If you share /usr/ports across all the machines, and build packages on
    the main server, everything will work pretty much the way you
    described...

    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
    Lowell Guest

  4. #4

    On Saturday 02 April 2005 10:57 am, Andrew P. wrote:

    Its doable, providing both boxes have identical CPU's and
    the port build options on both have the same options. If the CPU's
    are not identical are you willing to build every thing to the lowest
    common denominator such as CPUTYPE?=i486 ? If this is the
    case then really all you have to do is make sure you have
    a /usr/ports/packages dir on one machine then upgrade portmanager -u.
    This will put a package for everything upgraded
    into /usr/ports/packages/All. nfs share /usr/ports/packages/All
    directory with the other machine and on that one upgrade with something
    like portupgrade -aP.

    -Mike
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    Michael C. Shultz wrote:

    > Its doable, providing both boxes have identical CPU's and
    > the port build options on both have the same options. If the CPU's
    > are not identical are you willing to build every thing to the lowest
    > common denominator such as CPUTYPE?=i486 ? If this is the
    > case then really all you have to do is make sure you have
    > a /usr/ports/packages dir on one machine then upgrade portmanager -u.
    > This will put a package for everything upgraded
    > into /usr/ports/packages/All. nfs share /usr/ports/packages/All
    > directory with the other machine and on that one upgrade with something
    > like portupgrade -aP.
    >
    > -Mike[/ref]

    Thanks, I'll try to do this via ftp. What about the
    system itself? Is there an easy way to copy all the
    binaries from one box to another?

    Thanks,
    Andrew P.
    Andrew Guest

  6. #6

    "Andrew P." <ru> wrote:
     [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Your building machine can share /usr/src/ via nfs.
    You can then do a "make buildworld" on the server
    and "make installworld" on every machine.

    If the kernels are the same, you can use the same build
    on every machine as well. As Michael has already mentioned,
    you have to keep /etc/make.conf general.

    Since FreeBSD has no ftpfs, using nfs seems to be the easier way.

    Fabian
    --
    http://www.fabiankeil.de
    Fabian Guest

  7. #7

    Fabian Keil wrote: [/ref]

    > [/ref]
    >

    > Your building machine can share /usr/src/ via nfs.
    > You can then do a "make buildworld" on the server
    > and "make installworld" on every machine.
    >
    > If the kernels are the same, you can use the same build
    > on every machine as well. As Michael has already mentioned,
    > you have to keep /etc/make.conf general.[/ref]

    So basically, to substantially facilitate the update
    process all we have to do is to share /usr/src and
    /usr/ports folders?

    Will it be ok to share them read-only if I do all the
    building on the server?

    Is it a serious security issue to give recursive
    read-access to these folders to maliscious parties?
    (I mean besides of letting them know versions of
    all your server software).

    Thanks,
    Andrew P.

    P.S. Still, IMHO a nicely-designed port would be
    great. I mean we do have portupgrade for crying out
    loud. If we have something for a network of freebsd
    boxes, we could start talking enterprise-level
    management.

    P.P.S. What a pity that we don't have tarfs/ftpfs.
    Okay, that's just a sidenote.
    Andrew Guest

  8. #8

    How about
    Port: freebsd-update-1.6_1
    Info: Fetches and installs binary updates to FreeBSD
    Maint: net
    B-deps:
    R-deps: bsdiff-4.2
    WWW: http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/

    Is that the kind of thing your thinking ?

    Vince Guest

  9. #9

    Andrew P. wrote:

    .... are you volunteering?!

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    The lion and the calf shall lie down together,
    but the calf won't get much sleep.
    Chris Guest

  10. #10

    Chris wrote:

    > ... are you volunteering?![/ref]

    Well, I just might be able to write a dirty perl
    script that would add to thousands of useless ports.
    However, if there a busy soul with much knowledge
    and an ability to guide, I think I'll be able to
    produce some nice code with little of his help :)

    I'm now thinking learning ruby and examining
    portupgrade's code carefully. 6-9 months at least.

    Best wishes,
    Andrew P.
    Andrew Guest

  11. #11

    In article <20050403152204.778ec85flocalhost>, Fabian Keil (fk) writes:

    fk> If the kernels are the same, you can use the same build
    fk> on every machine as well.

    If they aren't it works to set KERNCONF to the whole list on the build
    machine

    KENRCONF="Macine1 Macine2 Machine3"

    It builds them all, but instals teh first one on this machine.

    --
    Mail me as org.uk _O_
    |<

    Richard Guest

  12. #12

    Richard Caley wrote:

    Would it build all the modules three time, I wonder?

    Thanks,
    Andrew P.
    Andrew Guest

  13. #13

    > > It builds them all, but instals teh first one on this machine.

    Seems to, but who cares? CPU cycles are cheap. I build on the machine
    which serves as the mail/news/dns/etc server, which is basicly idle
    all the time (those services just don't take a noticable amount of
    effort). It does the world and 4 or 5 kernels overnight, and it's only
    a 500MHz machine with IDE disks etc.

    ^_^
    (O O)
    \_/\