Professional Web Applications Themes

Some MT-NW Filters Not Working - Mac Networking

There is this crossposting troll who posts to a lot of groups including uk.religion.islam who seems to be able to block filtering some way. One of the many names he posts under is: ca (Faris Jawad) I have used every trick I know to try to filter him with no luck. Sometimes if I open one of the groups he posts to, half the entries will be his in one name or another. I have no trouble filtering other people, just this weirdo. I am using MT-NW 3.3b1. Any ideas please? Eden...

  1. #1

    Default Some MT-NW Filters Not Working

    There is this crossposting troll who posts to a lot of groups including
    uk.religion.islam who seems to be able to block filtering some way. One
    of the many names he posts under is:

    ca (Faris Jawad)

    I have used every trick I know to try to filter him with no luck.
    Sometimes if I open one of the groups he posts to, half the entries will
    be his in one name or another. I have no trouble filtering other people,
    just this weirdo. I am using MT-NW 3.3b1. Any ideas please?

    Eden
    Eden Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Some MT-NW Filters Not Working

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Eden Pedecaris <grouse.net> wrote:

    I don't know if this will help, but I have had some success with
    improving filters by shortening the target text, so that the filter has
    less to evaluate and does a "cor" search. BTW I assume you have the
    filter for him in all groups (i.e., "*" under "target groups" on the
    Advanced Options tab).

    So maybe you could try just placing "faris" in a "Kill this Author"
    filter for all groups, and set up similar, very simple criteria in a few
    other filters to try to catch his other pseudonyms. That's what I'd do
    at this point.

    HTH,
    Victoria
    Victoria Guest

  3. #3

    In article <comcast.net>,
    Victoria Bolles <com> wrote:

    > I don't know if this will help, but I have had some success with
    > improving filters by shortening the target text, so that the filter has
    > less to evaluate and does a "cor" search. BTW I assume you have the
    > filter for him in all groups (i.e., "*" under "target groups" on the
    > Advanced Options tab).
    >
    > So maybe you could try just placing "faris" in a "Kill this Author"
    > filter for all groups, and set up similar, very simple criteria in a few
    > other filters to try to catch his other pseudonyms. That's what I'd do
    > at this point.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Victoria[/ref]

    I tried that first but it does not work.
    Eden Guest

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Eden Pedecaris <grouse.net> wrote:

    I tried setting up a filter (Kill if From contains Faris) and opening that
    group. Worked fine, it killed all the messages posted from that name. I'm
    using MT-NW 3.2.

    It's possible that his messages are being marked in some way by one of your
    other filters. Try setting your anti-Faris filter so that it's applied to
    all groups ('*'), and move it so it's the very first filter in the "Show
    Filters List" window. Also make sure the "Don't override this filter"
    option is checked for that filter.

    When I'm trying to create a new kill-file, I start by making a filter to
    highlight with a bright color. That lets me see whether it's working, and
    make sure it's not marking messages it shouldn't. When I'm happy with the
    results, I edit the filter and change it to "kill".
    Wayne Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    I have taken your advice and so far it is working well. Thank you very
    much.
    Eden Guest

  6. #6

    In article <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    > I tried setting up a filter (Kill if From contains Faris) and opening that
    > group. Worked fine, it killed all the messages posted from that name. I'm
    > using MT-NW 3.2.
    >
    > It's possible that his messages are being marked in some way by one of your
    > other filters. Try setting your anti-Faris filter so that it's applied to
    > all groups ('*'), and move it so it's the very first filter in the "Show
    > Filters List" window. Also make sure the "Don't override this filter"
    > option is checked for that filter.
    >
    > When I'm trying to create a new kill-file, I start by making a filter to
    > highlight with a bright color. That lets me see whether it's working, and
    > make sure it's not marking messages it shouldn't. When I'm happy with the
    > results, I edit the filter and change it to "kill".[/ref]

    Sorry to be chiming in belatedly, but FWIW there's a built-in way to see
    which filters MT-NW is applying to any given message. When the message is
    open, click-and-hold on the little icon to the right of "Article NN of NN
    in thread..." It's a drop-down menu, listing the filters that matched.
    Mouseup on any item in that list to see/edit the filter's full detail.

    --
    CC
    CC Guest