Professional Web Applications Themes

Something else to watch out for on E*ay if your buying equipment. - Photography

"drsmith" <com> wrote...  Wrong photos get posted. Not often. Rather rarely. Have you never made a mistake? The description for this particular item does not claim the features pictured in the apparently wrong photo. It's most probably a simple error. I bought a lens once from an overseas seller who had a different lens displayed. Same model, just a different serial number and condition. What I got was a decent lens, but the filter mount was bent so that a filter cannot be ed in. I complained to the seller. He offered a price break. I took it. All in ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Something else to watch out for on E*ay if your buying equipment.

    "drsmith" <com> wrote...

    Wrong photos get posted. Not often. Rather rarely. Have you
    never made a mistake? The description for this particular item
    does not claim the features pictured in the apparently wrong
    photo. It's most probably a simple error.

    I bought a lens once from an overseas seller who had a different
    lens displayed. Same model, just a different serial number and
    condition. What I got was a decent lens, but the filter mount
    was bent so that a filter cannot be ed in. I complained to
    the seller. He offered a price break. I took it.

    All in all, that's what the "ask seller a question" is for.

    Victor

    Victor Guest

  2. #2

    On 20 Jul 2003 10:14:04 -0700, com (drsmith) wrote:

    You're no fun...
    In my dealings with various agencies and many resale shops etc. I have
    found many have no idea what they are selling and without meaning to,
    mis-represent their wares..
    Anybody who has any knowledge of the K1000 will know the pic is not
    the K1000. I have seen many auctions where they posted the wrong pic.
    In fact, I recently won an auction where some of the posted pics were
    not even the camera I bid on. Before bidding contact the seller. If
    he/she is evasive, don't bid..

    Most people who get duped simply did not pay attention.

    Colyn Goodson

    Ft. Worth, Texas

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    625 and 675 mercury battery fix

    http://www.colyngoodson.com/minolta.htm
    http://www.colyngoodson.com/cameras.htm

    Camera manuals

    http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.htm

    For Sale

    http://www.colyngoodson.com/sale.htm
    Colyn Guest

  3. #3

    On 21 Jul 2003 03:04:57 GMT, com (Hickster0711)
    wrote:

    They also auction off items confiscated in raids and stolen items whos
    owners never claim them..

    Law enforcement agencies have as much right to ebay as you or I..

  4. #4

    "drsmith" <com> wrote in message
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3334&item=29408220 23

    Its a picture of an ME Super.

    Somebody@somewhere.com Guest

  5. #5

    "com" <com> wrote in message news:<0JMSa.1117$cableinet.net>...
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3334&item=29408220 23
    >
    > Its a picture of an ME Super.[/ref]

    Out of the 5 pictures on the auction, 3 show the camera and 2 of those
    show a K1000. And that looks more like a Pentax Super Program, as I
    recall, the ME Super didn't have an illimination window on the front
    of the prism.
    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    Hickster0711 wrote:

    What the hell are you rambling about?? Quote at least one relavent line to keep
    your insane rant in some context.
    Stan
    Visual Arts Photography

    stan Guest

  7. #7

    John Miller wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Did you know that in the U.S., if you are carrying more than $10,000 cash,
    > the police can just confiscate it, no further justification needed? You
    > can thank the "war on drugs" for that.
    >
    > Someone will be along with "proof" shortly, I'm sure.
    >
    > --
    > John Miller
    >
    > The cart has no place where a fifth wheel could be used.
    > -Herbert von Fritzlar[/ref]

    Yeah right. It happens all the time in the US. Thats why i don't take cash when
    I go out. This is pure bull garbage.
    Stan
    Visual Arts Photography

    stan Guest

  8. #8

    "stan" <net> wrote in message news:net...
    > Yeah right. It happens all the time in the US. Thats why i don't take cash[/ref]
    when

    Actually Stan banks are required to report all cash transactions of $10,000
    or more and yes you can thank the "war on drugs" for this one.

    Mike Guest

  9. #9

    Mike wrote:

    > > Yeah right. It happens all the time in the US. Thats why i don't take cash[/ref]
    > when
    >
    > Actually Stan banks are required to report all cash transactions of $10,000
    > or more and yes you can thank the "war on drugs" for this one.[/ref]

    I understand this. But a cop can't bust you for having excess cash on hand. If
    you pay for a car with cash the car dealer is obligated to call the bank to find
    out if the money is legit. Even currency exchanges can't give a money orders for
    over a certain amount ($3,000 I believe) without reporting to someone (There is
    a sign in the one I just went to). And you're right I thank the "war on drugs"
    for many things
    Stan
    Visual Arts Photography.

    stan Guest

  10. #10

    "stan" <net> wrote in message news:net... [/ref][/ref]
    $10,000

    > I understand this. But a cop can't bust you for having excess cash on[/ref]
    hand. If
    to find
    orders for
    (There is
    drugs"
    I was helping a good friend of mine at an auction in Sacramento last fall.
    A buyer came in to the sale office to pay his invoice, $9,825.00 ALL in
    cash, green folding money. There was a branch of my bank near by and after
    running the cash through my account, cut a certified check to the auction
    company. Damn my account looked good for a few minutes....lol Had he
    buyer paid a few more bucks I would have been on a watch list and I am no
    drug dealer.
    The war on drugs has been a good excuse for many thing including an excuse
    to watch people moving money among other things. It has done nothing to
    stop drugs, nothing.

    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    Mike wrote:

    Not to mention that it has made billionaires out of drug dealers, and the
    money spent on the "war on drugs" could be better used on education to keep
    people from using drugs.

    --
    John Miller

    I'm going to raise an issue and stick it in your ear.
    -John Foreman

    John Guest

  12. #12

    In article <net>, stan <net> wrote:

    >I collect glass. Not much but enough to start getting expensive. Every once in
    >a while I run across a photo that is clearly mislabeled. I have never had a
    >person , when asked, try to dupe me. Usually the response to my inquiry is
    >"Thanks a lot I didn't realize it was a MMM instead of a NNN". I don't see
    >posting picture mistakes as a way of duping people.
    >Stan
    >Visual Arts Photography
    >[/ref]

    I can understand a simple mistake - they do happen. But on the other side
    of that, there are a LOT of photos on ebay that are dim or out of focus
    so badly you can't even make out what the item should look like. Even
    more than that will have a stock photo put up in place of the actual
    item. Either way, it represents a (perhaps small) amount of dishonesty
    on the part of the seller when the photos don't accurately represent
    the item.

    That was all I was trying to point out. Also, I've noticed that the
    seller hadn't yet corrected the posting, as of last night.

    --drsmith

    drsmith Guest

  13. #13

    com (drsmith) wrote in message news:<bfja98$b1i$mv.net>...

    > >I collect glass. Not much but enough to start getting expensive. Every once in
    > >a while I run across a photo that is clearly mislabeled. I have never had a
    > >person , when asked, try to dupe me. Usually the response to my inquiry is
    > >"Thanks a lot I didn't realize it was a MMM instead of a NNN". I don't see
    > >posting picture mistakes as a way of duping people.
    > >Stan
    > >Visual Arts Photography
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I can understand a simple mistake - they do happen. But on the other side
    > of that, there are a LOT of photos on ebay that are dim or out of focus
    > so badly you can't even make out what the item should look like. Even
    > more than that will have a stock photo put up in place of the actual
    > item. Either way, it represents a (perhaps small) amount of dishonesty
    > on the part of the seller when the photos don't accurately represent
    > the item.
    >
    > That was all I was trying to point out. Also, I've noticed that the
    > seller hadn't yet corrected the posting, as of last night.
    >
    > --drsmith[/ref]

    There's also an example that I had recently where I was interested
    in an off-brand lens that was being offered for a very low opening
    bid. The problem was the photo was so small, and the picture so out
    of focus that I actually e-mailed the seller and asked if there were
    any bigger/more detailed pictures available. He e-mailed back and
    stated that the lens he has doesn't have a macro mode. However, the
    next day there were some bigger pictures of the lens, and they seemed
    to be slightly better in terms of focus - but here's the kicker: the
    lens' opening bid was now twice what it had originally been...
    Bogrod Guest

  14. #14

  15. #15