Professional Web Applications Themes

Sometimes I can't Erase - Wonder why? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

This has happened to me several times in Elements. The latest was today. I opened a .JPG file. Used the magnetic lasso to cut out a candlestick holder. Chose Copy. Then chose New:from clipboard. It had a transparent background, of course. I renamed the layer. Made a duplicate layer. Checked RGB color was on. But could NOT ERASE the pixels that I didn't want. So, I saved it as a .PSD file. Brought it back in. Same routine with the layers, but still could not erase a single pixel. Reset machine, thinking memory might be low. Same problem. The layers ...

  1. #1

    Default Sometimes I can't Erase - Wonder why?

    This has happened to me several times in Elements. The latest was today.

    I opened a .JPG file. Used the magnetic lasso to cut out a candlestick holder. Chose Copy. Then chose New:from clipboard.

    It had a transparent background, of course. I renamed the layer. Made a duplicate layer. Checked RGB color was on. But could NOT ERASE the pixels that I didn't want.

    So, I saved it as a .PSD file. Brought it back in. Same routine with the layers, but still could not erase a single pixel.

    Reset machine, thinking memory might be low. Same problem.

    The layers were not locked. Normal mode.

    Someone knows what's wrong, and I'll be happy to learn the answer as this has happened to me several times.

    Thanks in advance,

    Lorace
    Lorace_Graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sometimes I can't Erase - Wonder why?

    Since you've duplicated the layer I'm not sure this should matter, but are you erasing from a layer that actually contains an image? Sorry, but I've been know to do stupid things like try to select from an adjustment layer. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Lorace,

    Or are you erasing on the bottom-most of duplicate layers so your erasures are covered up by the in-tact upper layer?
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Whenever you are working with a file that has more than one layer, it is a good idea to have your layer pallette open so that you can tell which layer is active. While some of the tools will give you the option to "use all layers" many of the tools will only work on the layer that is active, or selected in the layer pallette .
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Your idea makes more sense than mine, Nancy, and I bet that's what's happening. I now remember not being able to get the Clone tool to work a couple of times!
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Beth,

    Most people have probably done this early in their career, whether they care to admit it or not. :)

    Lorace,

    As Jim says, and I always do, have your Layers Palette permanently displayed on your workarea.
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi, I do appreciate the replies, but I do always have my layers palette open.

    I even renamed the background layer (read that somewhere) and I'm working on the duplicate and I am certain it is chosen. I'll check, though, and see if there's anything else I can't do to it.

    Do you think it has anything to do with having opened "New from clipboard?"

    thanks,

  8. #8

    Thought I could back here in time to EDIT the above, but didn't make it.

    An interesting thing happened, though. I saved the picture as JPG to the web. Then I brought it back in. I couldn't erase again.

    I filled the background with white. Used the Magic Eraser and erased the white background (I'm on the duplicate layer) and it worked.

    Then I chose the Eraser tool and had no problems at all.

    Is there a clue in this that I'm missing?

  9. #9

    Lorace,

    Look above the image, if the tolerance value is very small, you wouldn't see much happening with the eraser.

    edit--
    Have you tried deleting the preferences file as you launch the program?
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Or, the eyeballs aren't turned off on the under layers so when the top layer is erased it doesn't show.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Most people have probably done this early in their career, whether they
    care to admit it or not.

    Oh, Nancy, you don't know how true that is! In fact I'm pretty sure I've done everything wrong that's mentioned in this thread. :-)
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Lou,

    Yup...I just did the upside paper printing thing.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest