Professional Web Applications Themes

Sony DSC P92 - Photography

  1. #1

    Default Re: Sony DSC P92

    > Yes, I got the P8 and was not impressed with the picture quality compared
    > some friends cameras of similar resolution,

    Fair points, about the image quality, I would say the bad points were the
    slightly high noise, and some chromatic aberation also I think the default
    settings applie a little to much sharpening, you can reduce that in manual
    mode though.

    I have to say that I think the P8 does do a very good job of controlling
    contrast levels, it preserves a lot of detail in both dark and light areas
    of the image, in this area it is better than many of the other cameras I
    looked at.

    I suspect that the P92 may show the same overall traits. I looked at sample
    shots from the P10 and they show the same characteristics as the P8. I think
    the P10 uses the same detector as the P92.

    If you want a different style of image you may have to look to other brands.

    >also the battery life seems to
    > be very short and at #55 each, it is very expensive to keep a spare, it is
    > going back under the 30 days return procedure, and am trying to >decide
    which

    I don't find the battery life to be that short (most other digitals I have
    used are older though so they had short battery life). I find that the
    excelent Info Lithium battery level meter actually helps you get more shots
    in because you can plan your camera time well.

    Incidently you can get new batteries for the P8 for around #30 on ebay.

    > camera to go for instead, the P92 seemed a logical solution, but am
    > concerned about its plastic body.
    >
    > The P8 looks a far superior quality with its metal body!
    > --
    As I said I don't think the P92 will be much better, I don't feel that sony
    have the edge in still image quality in this price range.

    As for plastic bodies, dont worry about it unless the size or look bothers
    you, I have owned several digital cameras, metal and plastic. I think
    plastic bodies are lighter and a lot tougher in many ways, they help to
    absorb the shock of small impacts. The advantages of metal are slightly
    smaller size and better looks.

    Luke

    Luke Guest

  2. #2

    Greetings,

    "Luke" <luke_a_photmail.com> wrote

    Thanks for the reply Luke!
    > Incidently you can get new batteries for the P8 for around #30 on ebay.
    The battery pack on Ebay is the FC10, what is the difference from the FC11
    in the P8?
    > As I said I don't think the P92 will be much better, I don't feel that
    sony
    > have the edge in still image quality in this price range.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, back to the drawing board
    > As for plastic bodies, dont worry about it unless the size or look bothers
    > you, I have owned several digital cameras, metal and plastic. I think
    > plastic bodies are lighter and a lot tougher in many ways, they help to
    > absorb the shock of small impacts. The advantages of metal are slightly
    > smaller size and better looks.
    yup, I may be persuaded to keep the P8 if I can get a battery pack for 24.
    and a 526 Memory Stick Pro for 75.
    --
    Regards

    Peter

    [email]peterkissag.co.uk[/email]

    webmaster Guest

  3. #3

    > The battery pack on Ebay is the FC10, what is the difference from the FC11
    > in the P8?

    The FC10 is an older battery model. I have a feeling it may work with the
    P8, but its not what you want. Do another search for FC11 and check the
    international search box. You should find lots of FC11 batteries listed in
    Germany. You will have to pay postage of course but it isn't usualy that
    much. Remember in the UK you don't have to pay duty on anything imported
    from the EU, but you will do if you order from America.

    > yup, I may be persuaded to keep the P8 if I can get a battery pack >for
    24.

    Maybe just about.

    > and a 526 Memory Stick Pro for 75.

    Not a chance at the moment. Lexar 256MB MS Pro's go from about 60 quid but
    you will have to order from the states I think.

    I decided to go for a 128MB stick and an image tank, now I have 10GB of
    portable storage for photos and it only cost about 120 quid.

    If you want lots of card storage, again another brand of camera will save
    you lots of money. I reckon the price of MS Pro's will drop a lot in the
    next year but you will have to wait a while.

    Happy hunting!

    Luke

    Luke Guest

  4. #4

    Default Sony DSC P92

    Greetings,

    Just swapped my P8 for the P92, the difference in resolution is great, from
    3.2 to 5 megapixels, the 3.1 setting on the P92 seems to be a great deal
    better than the highest setting on the P8.

    This model has Ni-Mh batteries, so I can stock up cheaper and keep plenty of
    spares with minimal cost as opposed to the Li-ion battery in the P8, the
    only drawback is the 6 hour charge cycle and taking the batteries out of the
    camera to charge each time.

    The case is only plastic as opposed to the metal body on the P8, but I
    expect with careful use it should last me out.

    Now I need to decide on a suitable photo album, I would appreciate any
    comments on the easiest software to use for this.
    --
    Regards

    Peter

    co.uk