Professional Web Applications Themes

Sony Mavica cameras - Mac Applications & Software

The floppy and CD cameras are still being sold at Walmart and Amazon.com. I doubt Sony will discontinue such a useful camera. You Mac users hate floppies with a passion, fine you have made your choice... I do not believe they have been discontinued, especially coming from Mac users who hate floppies. The CD cameras are nice, but not for those who make their living hosting web sites or Ebay auctions, unless of co you think that every Internet user has broadband by know. Yes modems are non existant, computers no longer ship with them, only Ethernet and wireless Internet ...

  1. #1

    Default Sony Mavica cameras

    The floppy and CD cameras are still being sold at Walmart and
    Amazon.com. I doubt Sony will discontinue such a useful camera. You
    Mac users hate floppies with a passion, fine you have made your
    choice...

    I do not believe they have been discontinued, especially coming from
    Mac users who hate floppies. The CD cameras are nice, but not for
    those who make their living hosting web sites or Ebay auctions, unless
    of co you think that every Internet user has broadband by know.
    Yes modems are non existant, computers no longer ship with them, only
    Ethernet and wireless Internet abilities. There is no need for a good
    floppy camera that takes high res looking shots for such a small size.

    I have a good digital camera, and the Sony Mavica takes far better low
    res shots. Mine only takes good high res shots. Low res always come
    out blurry.. When I say low res, I am talking about 800x600 or
    640x480.

    The Mavica will live on..
    nospam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sony Mavica cameras

    nospam wrote:

    I used one a few years ago. The pictures were horrid due to
    the stupid jpeg compression they used. They are now totally
    obsolete AFAIK.
    George Guest

  3. #3

    nospam <com> wrote:

    I think it would be a lot more accurate to say that most Mac users
    simply don't have any need or desire to use floppy disks, which is a far
    cry from hating them. If there's any hate, it's towards someone who
    wants to force us to pay for something we don't need or desire.

    I did notice that you used the word "choice," though. Excellent!
    You're making progress.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    << I used one a few years ago. The pictures were horrid due to
    the stupid jpeg compression they used. They are now totally
    obsolete AFAIK. >>

    They are not. They take wonderfully good low res images.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  5. #5

    << The latter is a two megapixel camera and
    unless you compress the crap out of it, you won't be able to
    fit more than one or two pictures on a floopy. >>

    Can you understand this?

    Please try too..

    Not everyone wishes to print out images. Some people only use a camera for
    email, and web pages.
    You can fit over 30 low res images (which look very good bye the way on the
    screen) on a floppy disk.

    The Mavica takes far better low res shots over many digtals that I have used.
    The Mavica has a very expensive lens system.

    Mac users. They only know of print. They cannot comprehend that some people
    only view images online. The floppy camera is very useful for millions of
    people. I would have one myself, but the cost was too high, I bought a Vivitar
    instead.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  6. #6

    << I would agree with you. I think small CD's should be as cheap as floppies,
    then they would be convienant to hand out, as jwolf specified. >>

    I did say that? Well I agree with you. if CD's were as cheap, and the Mavica
    CD camera could take low res images I would prefer that. But the Mavica CD
    cannot take low res images, so I prefer the floppy camera.

    However because of cost, I have a camera that uses SD cards, and cannot take
    good low res images. Does an excellent job at taking high res shots though...
    JWolf6589 Guest

  7. #7

    JWolf6589 <comnospam> wrote:

    The cheaper of Sony's two floppy cameras lists at $300. The top of the line
    is $400. That's not exactly a high price for a digital camera, especially if
    it's so useful.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  8. #8

    JWolf6589 <comnospam> wrote:

    The Mavica CD camera can indeed take low res (648x480) images.

    I have a Sony camera sitting here (not a Mavica, but there doesn't seem to
    be a huge difference in this functionality), and it can take low res images
    too. It's a feature I've never used, so I just tried it, and the pictures
    are just fine. And, amusingly, the camera tells me I can take 2990 more
    before it fills up, at the highest-quality jpeg setting. 7480 more if I
    increase the compression. :)

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  9. #9

    In <aol.com> JWolf6589 wrote:

    In the real world, there's free and cheap software out there that can do
    a great job of resizing images. If you start with a high res image, you
    can choose how you want to display it if you're using the right software (
    and, even if you know you'll want to do a low res image in the long run,
    you're better off with a high res source to work with; esp if you want
    to do any retouching). If you start with a low res image, you have no
    choices about presentation size, and you wont be able to hide any of the
    artifacts of retouching.
    John Guest

  10. #10

    In article <gunslinger.net>, Jeremy <com> writes:

    > The Mavica CD camera can indeed take low res (648x480) images.
    >
    > I have a Sony camera sitting here (not a Mavica, but there doesn't seem to
    > be a huge difference in this functionality), and it can take low res images
    > too. It's a feature I've never used, so I just tried it, and the pictures
    > are just fine. And, amusingly, the camera tells me I can take 2990 more
    > before it fills up, at the highest-quality jpeg setting. 7480 more if I
    > increase the compression. :)
    >[/ref]
    And my Canon's instruction book tells me I can fit over 3 hours of
    movie on it. I somehow think I need a mains cable for that though :-)
    Paul Guest

  11. #11

    << The cheaper of Sony's two floppy cameras lists at $300. The top of the line
    is $400. That's not exactly a high price for a digital camera, especially if
    it's so useful. >>

    They sure sell well for a non useful camera.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  12. #12

    << The Mavica CD camera can indeed take low res (648x480) images. >>

    What are the filesizes? The Mavica I tested (1.2MP) the files were typicially
    not larger than 100K.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  13. #13

    JWolf6589 <comnospam> wrote:

    There's no reason the file sizes should be different, since it's the same
    size picture. Size of jpegs will vary with content, of course. I just
    stripped back out all the extra stuff my import process adds to the file
    (thumbnails, ICC profile, etc) and my file was well under 100k.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  14. #14

    On 26 Jul 2003 01:57:39 GMT, comnojunk
    (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    Quite a waste to put 1 or 2 pictures on a medium that will hold a few
    hundred, finalize the disc and give it away, however.

    forge Guest

  15. #15

    On 26 Jul 2003 22:20:39 GMT, comnospam (JWolf6589)
    wrote:

    I am beginning to feel strongly that JWolf is only here to insult and
    annoy "Mac users."

    forge Guest

  16. #16

    In article <com>,
    forge <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > I am beginning to feel strongly that JWolf is only here to insult and
    > annoy "Mac users."
    >[/ref]

    Another terminally slow Usenet reader!

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  17. #17

    Enough <com> wrote:

    > Another terminally slow Usenet reader![/ref]

    Hey, come on! I don't think he's been around here for very long.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  18. #18

    forge wrote: [/ref]

    Actually, it would be an error of logic (teleology) to assume he
    has a purpose. It's easy enough to diagnose his behavior, but
    he'd get better treatment from a psychologist or neuro-psychiatrist
    than from a newsgroup.
    George Guest