Professional Web Applications Themes

Sorry about OT but what about web site promotion companies? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi all. I keep getting email from a web site promotion company that promises to submit my site to 300,000 search engines. Their site looks good but I wonder if it is money wasted. Any ideas? Regards, Robert...

  1. #1

    Default Sorry about OT but what about web site promotion companies?

    Hi all. I keep getting email from a web site promotion company that promises
    to submit my site to 300,000 search engines. Their site looks good but I
    wonder if it is money wasted.

    Any ideas?

    Regards,

    Robert

    Robert Johnson Guest

  2. #2

    There are lots of companies otu there who do this. I get it all the time.
    Bottom line is, how many visits are you going to get from Google, Yahoo,
    AOL, and MSN? And how many are you going to get from the other 299,996
    search engines? The latter will give you so few that it won't justify the
    cost.

    If any company can get you lots of views from the search engines that people
    actually use, then it would be worth it.

    "Robert Johnson" <roberttherjohnsoncompany.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I keep getting email from a web site promotion company that
    promises
    > to submit my site to 300,000 search engines. Their site looks good but I
    > wonder if it is money wasted.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Robert

    middletree Guest

  3. #3

    > Hi all. I keep getting email from a web site promotion company that
    promises
    > to submit my site to 300,000 search engines. Their site looks good but I
    > wonder if it is money wasted.
    There's only one...maybe two search engines that matter. (Google, Yahoo, and
    maybe a debateable few others).

    There are a handful of good directories in any given industry.

    I think you can do better on your own.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:19:26 -0500, "darrel"
    <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote:
    >There's only one...maybe two search engines that matter. (Google, Yahoo, and
    >maybe a debateable few others).
    Looking at some recent log file ysis for a site of mine:

    1 Google 6,814
    2 Yahoo 3,502
    4 AOL Search 778
    6 Dogpile 64
    7 iWon 41
    8 Overture/Goto 27
    9 Lycos 23

    There were a few others in single digits.

    >There are a handful of good directories in any given industry.
    This is true. Industry/market/topic specific search tools should not
    be forgotten.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  5. #5

    Gary, interesting stats. How do you capture this information?

    Regards,

    Robert
    "Gary White" <replynewsgroup.please> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:19:26 -0500, "darrel"
    > <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote:
    >
    > >There's only one...maybe two search engines that matter. (Google, Yahoo,
    and
    > >maybe a debateable few others).
    >
    > Looking at some recent log file ysis for a site of mine:
    >
    > 1 Google 6,814
    > 2 Yahoo 3,502
    > 4 AOL Search 778
    > 6 Dogpile 64
    > 7 iWon 41
    > 8 Overture/Goto 27
    > 9 Lycos 23
    >
    > There were a few others in single digits.
    >

    > >There are a handful of good directories in any given industry.
    >
    > This is true. Industry/market/topic specific search tools should not
    > be forgotten.
    >

    > Gary

    Robert Johnson Guest

  6. #6

    "Robert Johnson" <roberttherjohnsoncompany.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I keep getting email from a web site promotion company that
    promises
    > to submit my site to 300,000 search engines. Their site looks good but I
    > wonder if it is money wasted.

    I drop sites into Google and [url]http://dmoz.org/[/url] (which is used as a source by
    several search engines), and leave it at that. It tends to work.

    I'd suggest that you concentrate on making your site more attractive to the
    Google spider (this is generic advice...I haven't looked at your site!).

    If you respond to a company that advertises itself through spam, you are
    contributing to the problem. If you want to use a web site promotion
    company, actively look for one that doesn't use spam techniques to contact
    you....

    HTH,

    Pete.

    Peter Connolly Guest

  7. #7

    On 28 Jul 2003 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Robert Johnson wrote:
    > Gary, interesting stats. How do you capture this information?
    Got access to your raw logs? Run them through a logfile yzer. Or
    yze them by hand.

    --
    Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
    [url]http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe[/url]

  8. #8

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:45:22 -0700, "Robert Johnson"
    <roberttherjohnsoncompany.com> wrote:
    >Gary, interesting stats. How do you capture this information?
    I just run my log files through a program called WebLog Expert. It
    provides those, along with lots of other interesting information. It
    will tell you what key words or search phrases were used, what
    browsers, operating systems, etc. and more.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:45:31 -0700, "Robert Johnson"
    <com> wrote:

    You're welcome.

    Gary
    Gary Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:19:09 +0100, "Peter Connolly"
    <com> wrote:

    >promises
    >
    >I drop sites into Google and http://dmoz.org/ (which is used as a source by
    >several search engines), and leave it at that. It tends to work.
    >
    >I'd suggest that you concentrate on making your site more attractive to the
    >Google spider (this is generic advice...I haven't looked at your site!).
    >
    >If you respond to a company that advertises itself through spam, you are
    >contributing to the problem. If you want to use a web site promotion
    >company, actively look for one that doesn't use spam techniques to contact
    >you....
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Pete.
    >
    >[/ref]

    I used to offer to submit my clients web sites to search engines for
    them, for a nominal 100 a year. I don't do this anymore. Whatever you
    say to clients, it is difficult to convince them that taking on the
    responsibility to submit sites does not guarantee search engine
    placing. Today's internet is too vast for search engines to keep up,
    and I have started to recommend that clients use a sponsored link on
    Google, or, in the UK, get advertised on yell.com. According to my
    site stats, about 42% of referrals to my site are from yell.com, and
    just over 30% from Google, where I have a sponsored link. About 24% of
    visits are from spiders; mostly scooter and googlebot, so that doesn't
    leave much else.

    This was a long-winded way of saying that Peter is absolutely right.
    Don't waste your money.

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks for the support Paul!

    I attend a business networking group, amongst which are still some companies
    trying to sell search engine positioning...it's very hard to hold my tongue
    sometimes when they're promising the earth (or at least, all of Google) to
    prospects who don't know any better!

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Peter Guest