Professional Web Applications Themes

[SOT] monitor: like ink is running - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am so sorry to bother you about this, but I get no response from more appropriate groups and this group is always so nice about SOT postings, so here I go: Perhaps I have been too greedy, but after reading in this group about multi-display possibilities, I checked my card (Nvidia GeForce4 MX) and found it did support dual monitors. So I downloaded and installed the latest drivers. I wish I hadn't! Now I have the same effect I had when I first started out with this Dell TFT flatpanel: text on the screen looks like the ink has ...

  1. #1

    Default [SOT] monitor: like ink is running

    I am so sorry to bother you about this, but I get no response from more
    appropriate groups and this group is always so nice about SOT postings, so
    here I go:

    Perhaps I have been too greedy, but after reading in this group about
    multi-display possibilities, I checked my card (Nvidia GeForce4 MX) and
    found it did support dual monitors. So I downloaded and installed the
    latest drivers.

    I wish I hadn't!

    Now I have the same effect I had when I first started out with this Dell
    TFT flatpanel: text on the screen looks like the ink has been running. It
    is blotchy, as though drops of water fell on a handwritten page.

    I remember this problem was solved the first time around by checking Clear
    Type (I am on Windows XP). That setting still reads clear type, so what
    else can I do?

    I know I can do a system restore, but would rather not because of the dual
    monitors I would like to install later on.

    Can anyone help me?
    Thank you!
    --
    Groet, Adriana.
    [Gravity is a myth. The Earth s.]

  2. #2

    Default Re: [SOT] monitor: like ink is running

    Hi. I've been rather busy and haven't been posting lately, but I
    thought I would say something since no one else has, yet. It probably
    won't be very helpful, but you never know. Have you tried toggling that
    option? It's possible that the driver is running with the default
    settings and whatever is being displayed for you might not necessarily
    match reality. I've had this happen to me before. All I had to do was
    make a change and then change it back, and things started working as
    expected. So if it were me, I would turn that clear text option on,
    reboot, and then turn it off and reboot again, and then see what
    happens. If it's still bad, then I'm out of ideas. :-(

    Vicky Guest

  3. #3

    Adriana,

    Before we get too far into this, I'd just like to confirm that your video
    card really does support two monitors. I know you said you checked, but I'm
    wondering if they told you the right thing.

    Here's the issue: All the nvidia GEForce 4 MX graphics processing units do
    indeed support dual monitors. That is a function of the chipset. But, not
    all cards that were built with that chipset actually included the other
    hardware and electronics to let you do so. So, some cards can and others
    can't. Usually, they only put the extra monitor support on the higher end
    (and more expensive) cards.

    Did you check with the specific manufacturer of your card or did you just
    contact NVidia? If you bought it as a complete system, did you check with
    the computer manufacturer?

    Does your system have two monitor connectors on the back?

    Thanks!

    RobertHJones@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:38:38 -0800, com wrote:

    I checked on Nvidia's website where it says all cards of the type
    GeForce4MX support multi display - as they call it.
    The drivers I downloaded include something called nView that can be toggled
    on and is, I take it, meant for dual monitors.

    NB: I do not as yet háve two monitors installed; I am just preparing for
    it.

    I thought Nvidia was the manufacturer?
    The pc is a Dell Dimension of the (higher end) 8000 series.
    The original configuration used another graphics card, but when ordering I
    opted for one slightly more expensive, thinking : I may not play games, but
    I might need it for PE and Dreamweaver, the programmes I use most.

    Thanks for responding!

    --
    Regards, Adriana.

  5. #5

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:49:42 -0800, Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

    Thanks!

    Toggling True Type on and off does not seem to make any difference.
    However, changing the refreshment rate back from 72 to 60 makes things look
    better.

  6. #6

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:38:38 -0800, com wrote:

    I see what you mean, now.
    No I do not have two connectors, so I guess I'll have to get a second card
    as well as a second monitor. My second monitor will be a tine 9-inch one,
    just for the palettes. It cannot go higher than 600 X 800, and I was first
    told I would have to have my main monitor at that resolution as well. That
    won't be good enough, so I was relieved to hear that I can have different
    resolution on different monitors.

    Thanks for clarifying things!

  7. #7

    > No I do not have two connectors, so I guess I'll have to get a second
    card as well as a second monitor.

    Adriana,

    I haven't personally worked with dual monitor systems so I can't tell you
    the issues of two video cards versus one video card with dual head support.

    At work, we do have a number of dual monitor systems and those use a single
    dual head video card. We map those such that they work like one desktop
    spread over the two screens. Our applications use the same size monitors
    and resolutions.

    It would be best to talk to someone who has done this before you go out and
    buy another video card. If you have a computer store near you that can
    configure custom systems, you may want to just go in and see if they've put
    together dual monitor systems and talk to them about what you need.

    Maybe someone here or in the photoshop forum has a dual monitor system and
    can say what you need.

    Bob

    RobertHJones@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:10:15 -0800, com wrote:

    If it hadn't been for this group, I wouldn't have know dual display was
    possible.

    I went out, bought a second card and a small 6 inch monitor (second hand)
    for next to nothing. It takes up very little space yet holds my tools and
    palettes as intended.

    I really like this set up, all though I will be saving up for another nice
    15" as second monitor.

    Thanks everyone for bringing up the subject!
    (somewhere along the line the threads got mixed up. Sorry!)