Professional Web Applications Themes

Sound - dynamic rateshift - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi all, Is it possible to dynamically set the rateshift of a sound? I want engine sound effects - the obvious way to do this is use a looping sound, changing the rateshift when the engine is accelerated but I can't see a way to do this without restarting the sound with a new rateshift. Cheers, GP...

  1. #1

    Default Sound - dynamic rateshift

    Hi all,

    Is it possible to dynamically set the rateshift of a sound?

    I want engine sound effects - the obvious way to do this is use a looping
    sound, changing the rateshift when the engine is accelerated but I can't see
    a way to do this without restarting the sound with a new rateshift.

    Cheers,

    GP

    Gianpiero Colagiacomo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sound - dynamic rateshift

    you can't, try using a quicktime movie without a picture instead, then the
    reteshift will work as you want.

    "Gianpiero Colagiacomo" <gp1lg.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to dynamically set the rateshift of a sound?
    >
    > I want engine sound effects - the obvious way to do this is use a looping
    > sound, changing the rateshift when the engine is accelerated but I can't
    see
    > a way to do this without restarting the sound with a new rateshift.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > GP

    Christoffer Enedahl Guest

  3. #3

    Christoffer,

    Thanks for that - I've now managed to get my engine sound fx shifting rate
    as I wanted.

    Using Quicktime for sound has however created a problem itself; how to set
    the left/right balance of the sound (pan) depending on where the model to
    which this sound is attached is in the world relative to the camera.

    With a standard sound object you'd just use 'sound(n).pan = n' but with
    quicktime I can't find a way to do this - the 'pan (QTVR property)' doesn't
    affect sound...

    Anyone got any advice on how I can pan the sound playing in a QTVR audio
    file?

    Cheers,

    GP

    messaggio news:bljoo9$cg1$1forums.macromedia.com...

  4. #4

    There is a workaround
    Have 2 sounds, one with left and one with right sound only, mix them for
    panning.
    Not optimally wanted though.
    /Christoffer

    > Christoffer,
    >
    > Thanks for that - I've now managed to get my engine sound fx shifting rate
    > as I wanted.
    >
    > Using Quicktime for sound has however created a problem itself; how to set
    > the left/right balance of the sound (pan) depending on where the model to
    > which this sound is attached is in the world relative to the camera.
    >
    > With a standard sound object you'd just use 'sound(n).pan = n' but with
    > quicktime I can't find a way to do this - the 'pan (QTVR property)'
    doesn't
    > affect sound...
    >
    > Anyone got any advice on how I can pan the sound playing in a QTVR audio
    > file?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > GP
    >
    > "Christoffer Enedahl" <christoffer-listno-enedahl-spam.com> ha scritto
    nel
    > messaggio news:bljoo9$cg1$1forums.macromedia.com...
    > > you can't, try using a quicktime movie without a picture instead, then
    the
    > > reteshift will work as you want.
    > >
    > > "Gianpiero Colagiacomo" <gp1lg.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > Is it possible to dynamically set the rateshift of a sound?
    > > >
    > > > I want engine sound effects - the obvious way to do this is use a
    > looping
    > > > sound, changing the rateshift when the engine is accelerated but I
    can't
    > > see
    > > > a way to do this without restarting the sound with a new rateshift.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > >
    > > > GP

    Christoffer Enedahl Guest