Professional Web Applications Themes

soundserver/ logout - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Log Out & sound server 1st i've had debian 3.0 rev1 loaded on my computer for a few days now and seems to be working fine. with the exception of the sound server. message: sound server informational message error while initializing the sound server device /dev/dsp cant be opened (permission denied) the sound server will continue,useing the null output device Is this a package that is not working or my sound card? and how to fix? i have only installed the basic packages including x server,sound server,file server,unix server web server,and c+ dos'nt look like i have any multimedia packages ...

  1. #1

    Default soundserver/ logout

    Log Out & sound server
    1st

    i've had debian 3.0 rev1 loaded on my computer for a few days now and
    seems to be working fine. with the exception of the sound server.

    message:
    sound server informational message

    error while initializing the sound server device /dev/dsp cant be opened
    (permission denied)

    the sound server will continue,useing the null output device

    Is this a package that is not working or my sound card? and how to fix?

    i have only installed the basic packages including x server,sound
    server,file server,unix server web server,and c+

    dos'nt look like i have any multimedia packages installed

    in menu: preferences/sound/ none of the packages seem to put out any audio

    2nd

    Log Out
    If i log out from the kde desktop it takes me to a log in screen and
    dos'nt give me a option to shut down. If i turn off my comp.its an unclean
    mounting

    iIf I go to the root konsole and poweroff with -i or -f i loose all my
    preferences in kde.

    Log off HOW?

    Thanks
    Mark

    [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    Debian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: soundserver/ logout

    Hello

    Debian wrote:
    > i've had debian 3.0 rev1 loaded on my computer for a few days now and
    > seems to be working fine. with the exception of the sound server.
    >
    > message:
    > sound server informational message
    >
    > error while initializing the sound server device /dev/dsp cant be opened
    > (permission denied)
    >
    > the sound server will continue,useing the null output device
    >
    > Is this a package that is not working or my sound card? and how to fix?
    If you had taken a look at the /dev/dsp device, you would have seen the
    problem on your own:
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio
    Make sure that all users who you want to use sound are in the *audio*
    group. And don't forget that changes to the group configuration only
    become active after the user logged out.

    > If i log out from the kde desktop it takes me to a log in screen and
    > dos'nt give me a option to shut down. If i turn off my comp.its an
    > unclean mounting
    >
    > iIf I go to the root konsole and poweroff with -i or -f i loose all my
    > preferences in kde.
    >
    > Log off HOW?
    You didn't say what login manager you use, but it sounds like you use XDM.
    Probably, as you use KDE, you want to switch to KDM. This will also allow
    you to shut down from the login manager screen. Do
    apt-get install kdm
    and select to use KDM when debconf asks you which login manager to use.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  3. #3

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:57:24 -0600, Andreas Janssen wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Debian wrote:
    >
    >> i've had debian 3.0 rev1 loaded on my computer for a few days now and
    >> seems to be working fine. with the exception of the sound server.
    >>
    >> message:
    >> sound server informational message
    >>
    >> error while initializing the sound server device /dev/dsp cant be
    >> opened (permission denied)
    >>
    >> the sound server will continue,useing the null output device
    >>
    >> Is this a package that is not working or my sound card? and how to fix?
    >
    > If you had taken a look at the /dev/dsp device, you would have seen the
    > problem on your own:
    > crw-rw---- 1 root audio
    > Make sure that all users who you want to use sound are in the *audio*
    > group. And don't forget that changes to the group configuration only
    > become active after the user logged out.
    >

    >> If i log out from the kde desktop it takes me to a log in screen and
    >> dos'nt give me a option to shut down. If i turn off my comp.its an
    >> unclean mounting
    >>
    >> iIf I go to the root konsole and poweroff with -i or -f i loose all my
    >> preferences in kde.
    >>
    >> Log off HOW?
    >
    > You didn't say what login manager you use, but it sounds like you use
    > XDM. Probably, as you use KDE, you want to switch to KDM. This will also
    > allow you to shut down from the login manager screen. Do apt-get install
    > kdm
    > and select to use KDM when debconf asks you which login manager to use.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    Thanks Andreas

    log out problem fixed

    audio a diffrent story

    Looking at the permissions on /dev/dsp the access permissions are set
    to:user r-w=on e-s off
    to group r-w=on e-s off
    others off

    ownership is
    root
    audio

    I tried changeing the ownership to mark(my user) and no go I changed it
    back and tried logging in as root and it said the same error message
    except device not found instead of permission denied

    this stuff is all new to me and I've been reading everything i can.

  4. #4

    Hello

    Debian wrote:
    > ok I've added mark to the users and restored the rest it seems to see
    > the changes the error message now reads (no such device)
    > how can i check the drivers for the sound card
    The driver for your sound card is very probably built as a module which
    has to be loaded at startup, preferrably by adding it to /etc/modules
    either by hand or using modconf. You can check if the driver is loaded by
    typing "lsmod" as root. The driver module for your sound card should be
    listed. If you don't know which driver to use, try to use the usenet
    archive at [url]http://groups.google.com[/url] or some other search engine to find
    out.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  5. #5

    Hello

    mark wrote:
    > I have been serching for linux audio drivers for my comp from the manuf
    > to the newsgroup arcives and elseware I'm looking for a version of
    > ViaAudio120a.,or via686lin for the debian distro have found many
    > versions but all for caldera,redhator redflag not for deb. I have a
    > shuttle mk20n mainboard with onboard sound.
    It looks like you are using a motherboard with VIA KLE133 chipset. Maybe
    this is the driver you need: VIA 82C686 Audio Codec (module via82c).
    This one is included in my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel on Debian Doody. However I
    don't know it is included in 2.2 kernels. Try "modprobe via82c_audio"
    to find out.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  6. #6

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:31:35 -0600, Andreas Janssen wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> I have been serching for linux audio drivers for my comp from the
    >> manuf to the newsgroup arcives and elseware I'm looking for a version
    >> of ViaAudio120a.,or via686lin for the debian distro have found many
    >> versions but all for caldera,redhator redflag not for deb. I have a
    >> shuttle mk20n mainboard with onboard sound.
    >
    > It looks like you are using a motherboard with VIA KLE133 chipset. Maybe
    > this is the driver you need: VIA 82C686 Audio Codec (module via82c).
    > This one is included in my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel on Debian Doody. However
    > I don't know it is included in 2.2 kernels. Try "modprobe
    > via82c_audio" to find out.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    ok it says the file is not found.

    looking in my /etc/modules only af_packet is in the file

    do i need to add via82c_audio to this file and how should it look

    a"via82c_audio" ??

    [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    mark Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:31:35 -0600, Andreas Janssen wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> I have been serching for linux audio drivers for my comp from the
    >> manuf to the newsgroup arcives and elseware I'm looking for a version
    >> of ViaAudio120a.,or via686lin for the debian distro have found many
    >> versions but all for caldera,redhator redflag not for deb. I have a
    >> shuttle mk20n mainboard with onboard sound.
    >
    > It looks like you are using a motherboard with VIA KLE133 chipset. Maybe
    > this is the driver you need: VIA 82C686 Audio Codec (module via82c).
    > This one is included in my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel on Debian Doody. However
    > I don't know it is included in 2.2 kernels. Try "modprobe
    > via82c_audio" to find out.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    I have the latest seven disk woody set

  8. #8

    mark wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:31:35 -0600, Andreas Janssen wrote:
    >> mark wrote:
    >>> I have been serching for linux audio drivers for my comp from the
    >>> manuf to the newsgroup arcives and elseware I'm looking for a version
    >>> of ViaAudio120a.,or via686lin for the debian distro have found many
    >>> versions but all for caldera,redhator redflag not for deb. I have a
    >>> shuttle mk20n mainboard with onboard sound.
    >> It looks like you are using a motherboard with VIA KLE133 chipset.
    >> Maybe this is the driver you need: VIA 82C686 Audio Codec (module
    >> via82c). This one is included in my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel on Debian
    >> Doody. However I don't know it is included in 2.2 kernels. Try
    >> "modprobe via82c_audio" to find out.
    > ok it says the file is not found.
    > looking in my /etc/modules only af_packet is in the file
    > do i need to add via82c_audio to this file and how should it look
    >
    > a"via82c_audio" ??
    To have the module automatically loaded at startup, you can either add a
    line containing

    via82c_audio

    to /etc/modules.conf or add the line

    alias sound-slot-0 via82c_audio

    to /etc/modutils/aliases (and run update-modules after adding the line).

    BUT: Apparantly the driver cannot be found. You probably are running the
    default installation kernel (I think this is 2.2.20-compact), and it
    might not have your driver. Type the following line to see if your kernel
    has the module:

    find /lib/modules -name "via82c_audio.o"

    If it returns nothing you don't have the module, otherwise it will return
    the location(s) ot the found file(s). If the module cannot be found,
    install another kernel package, e.g.

    apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
    or
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20

    If you run lilo, the kernel will be installed automatically and lilo will
    be reconfigured. I don't know about grub.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  9. #9

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:46:23 -0600, Andreas Janssen wrote:
    > mark wrote:

    >>> It looks like you are using a motherboard with VIA KLE133 chipset.
    >>> Maybe this is the driver you need: VIA 82C686 Audio Codec (module
    >>> via82c). This one is included in my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel on Debian
    >>> Doody. However I don't know it is included in 2.2 kernels. Try
    >>> "modprobe via82c_audio" to find out.
    >
    >> ok it says the file is not found.
    >> looking in my /etc/modules only af_packet is in the file do i need to
    >> add via82c_audio to this file and how should it look
    >>
    >> a"via82c_audio" ??
    >
    > To have the module automatically loaded at startup, you can either add a
    > line containing
    >
    > via82c_audio
    >
    > to /etc/modules.conf or add the line
    >
    > alias sound-slot-0 via82c_audio
    >
    > to /etc/modutils/aliases (and run update-modules after adding the line).
    >
    > BUT: Apparantly the driver cannot be found. You probably are running the
    > default installation kernel (I think this is 2.2.20-compact), and it
    > might not have your driver. Type the following line to see if your
    > kernel has the module:
    >
    > find /lib/modules -name "via82c_audio.o"
    >
    > If it returns nothing you don't have the module, otherwise it will
    > return the location(s) ot the found file(s). If the module cannot be
    > found, install another kernel package, e.g.
    >
    > apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 or apt-get install
    > kernel-image-2.2.20
    >
    > If you run lilo, the kernel will be installed automatically and lilo
    > will be reconfigured. I don't know about grub.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    Awh success
    I have sound wonderfull

    THANKS ALOT!!! Andreas This linux stuff is a lot of work, but worth it.

    Things seem so awkwards but when you find out why you do things the way
    linux does it makes sence.and is better than product-X

    Thank's for hangin in there with me