Professional Web Applications Themes

Spammers Using My Domain - Mac Networking

  1. #1

    Default Spammers Using My Domain

    I don't know if there's anything to be done about this, but spammers are
    using <random-characters> at jkonton.best.vwh.net to send spam, and I'm
    getting the bounces. I've talked to my ISP, but there's nothing they
    can do because the spam is not being sent thru their email servers.

    I'm wondering if there's anyway to sue the people or at least report
    them to some legal agency?

    TIA,

    --
    Address in header is dead, please use:

    Please excuse the munging, but after receiving thousands of emails
    with the swen virus due to usenet email harvesting...
    Blackjack Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Spammers Using My Domain

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    This is standard spammer behavior, and has been going on for years.
    Don't you think that if something legal could be done, it would have
    been done already and spammers would be out of business?

    The best you can do is report them to their ISP.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. #3

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    As Barry noted, there's not much to be done.

    Something that helps me, though, is to have all addresses except valid
    ones to my domain sent straight to the trash on my host's mail server.

    These get delivered to me:
    com
    com

    These don't:
    com
    com

    They still hit your host's server, but you don't ever have to see them.

    Kishin
    Kishin Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <comcast.net>,
    Kishin <com> wrote:

    > As Barry noted, there's not much to be done.
    >
    > Something that helps me, though, is to have all addresses except valid
    > ones to my domain sent straight to the trash on my host's mail server.[/ref]

    If you want to be more specific in your filtering, in case you are
    using a catch-all address for other purposes, you can filter on
    the To address -- that is, if you only _send_ on one or two addresses,
    then one of those addresses should always be in the To: line of a
    bounce. I set up a server-side rule for this after receiving about
    fifty bounces for spam I didn't actually send.

    Y'know, if spammers would be so kind as to put a blank Return-Path on
    their spam, servers wouldn't send bounces for it, but I suppose that's
    too much to ask for, eh?

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <comcast.net>,
    Kishin <com> wrote:

    > As Barry noted, there's not much to be done.
    >
    > Something that helps me, though, is to have all addresses except valid
    > ones to my domain sent straight to the trash on my host's mail server.
    >
    > These get delivered to me:
    > com
    > com
    >
    > These don't:
    > com
    > com
    >
    > They still hit your host's server, but you don't ever have to see them.
    >
    > Kishin[/ref]

    Blocking the bounces isn't the issue, it's my reputation that people are
    thinking that I'm the one sending them spam.

  6. #6

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> wrote:

    > This is standard spammer behavior, and has been going on for years.
    > Don't you think that if something legal could be done, it would have
    > been done already and spammers would be out of business?
    >
    > The best you can do is report them to their ISP.[/ref]

    Yeah, I was afraid of that. What concerns me is that people will now
    think that my domain is sending them spam.

  7. #7

    Blackjack Joe wrote:

    Most of them won't blame you, but one solution is
    to abandon the domain and get a new one for which
    you take steps to thwart address harvesters:
    1. Never post your domain name in a newsgroup
    2. No clickable e-mail links on your sites
    3. Do not exchange e-mails with windows users who
    may have been infected by a virus/worm/trojan
    George Guest

  8. #8

    Soon everywone will be getting such bounces (I know I am) and then your
    reputation will probably recover.
    Philo Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Most of them won't blame you, but one solution is
    > to abandon the domain and get a new one for which
    > you take steps to thwart address harvesters:
    > 1. Never post your domain name in a newsgroup
    > 2. No clickable e-mail links on your sites
    > 3. Do not exchange e-mails with windows users who
    > may have been infected by a virus/worm/trojan[/ref]

    That last one is darn near impossible, I'm the only Mac user amongst my
    friends and family, I know that my domain has been harvested from
    usenet. I was receiving tons of swen virus emails to the address in my
    header.

    I am considering abandoning the domain, but that would be a pain, i use
    various "userids" on the left side of the sign to track who sells my
    email address to others. Discovered that autoweb.com is amongst the
    websites that did. I had asked for a quote on a new VW Passat, started
    getting spam to that address. But I have a lot of good valid businesses
    sending email to various addresses at my domain.

  10. #10

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    > > This is standard spammer behavior, and has been going on for years.
    > > Don't you think that if something legal could be done, it would have
    > > been done already and spammers would be out of business?
    > >
    > > The best you can do is report them to their ISP.[/ref]
    >
    > Yeah, I was afraid of that. What concerns me is that people will now
    > think that my domain is sending them spam.[/ref]

    Some will believe that, but most people figure it out once their own
    address is harvested from someone elses mailbox. I know my father, an
    email and internet neophyte, figured it out within a few months of
    buying his new Mac. Not bad, given that he reasoned it out from first
    principles.

    I liked the idea I saw once of encrypting email addresses with public
    keys, such that you could not hand off an email address. Instead, you
    handed off a request that required asking the original server for the
    email. It essentially meant that you could only be sent email by those
    on your web of trust. Utter hell if are marketing products, but pretty
    keen for an individual usenet user.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  11. #11

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    > > As Barry noted, there's not much to be done.
    > >
    > > Something that helps me, though, is to have all addresses except valid
    > > ones to my domain sent straight to the trash on my host's mail server.
    > >
    > > These get delivered to me:
    > > com
    > > com
    > >
    > > These don't:
    > > com
    > > com
    > >
    > > They still hit your host's server, but you don't ever have to see them.
    > >
    > > Kishin[/ref]
    >
    > Blocking the bounces isn't the issue, it's my reputation that people are
    > thinking that I'm the one sending them spam.[/ref]

    They're getting the bounces too, so they know you're not.

  12. #12

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    Most people now know that spammers forge sender addresses.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  13. #13

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> wrote:

    > Most people now know that spammers forge sender addresses.[/ref]

    I doubt that. I've explained this fact to a Mac user group with
    less-technically-inclined users, and it's been like a huge revelation to
    them. Even afterward, at later meetings people talked about how they
    just bounced all spam back to the sender. And most users don't even go
    to user group meetings. My experience suggests that the opposite of
    your statement is true, that most people on the internet probably have
    no idea that spam uses anything but real return addresses.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  14. #14

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    Include email addresses for the WhiteHouse, you state attorney general,
    FCC, etc. on your site so when they gather your email addy . . ..
    Walter Guest

  15. #15

    Blackjack Joe <best.vwh.net> wrote:

    No, there's not really much you can do. Once a spam-harvesting robot has
    your address, kiss that address goodbye, permanently. Once it is in a
    spammer's lists, it will never be removed -- in fact, it will spread.

    If you have all mail going to anyaddressyourdomain being fed to one
    email account, you're going to need to improve your mail filtering.

    That said, prevention is better than cure.
    - Never EVER leave your email address in machine-readable form anywhere
    on the web or on UseNet.
    - If you are required to register an email address to get some web data,
    use a 'disposable' one such as Hotmail or Yahoo. If it gets infected,
    abandon the address, it will be automatically de-activated after 30 days
    or so of inactivity.
    - Never send mail to a Windows user without first finding out they have
    good anti-virus software installed. So many of these bounces you're
    getting are being generated by infected users' machines it is almost
    amusing. If your address is in the Address Book of a non-protected
    Windows machine, that address is just so much toast.

    Not really. Depending on what state / country you are in, you can report
    them to whichever official body handles such cases, but the success rate
    of prosecuting spammers (or the companies which use spammers) is
    exceedingly low.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

  16. #16

    com (Geoffrey) writes:

    > No, there's not really much you can do. Once a spam-harvesting robot has
    > your address, kiss that address goodbye, permanently. Once it is in a
    > spammer's lists, it will never be removed -- in fact, it will spread.
    >SNIP<[/ref]

    I just spammed myself, in fact. I got an email _from_ me addressed to me
    proposing that I increase my cup size.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  17. #17

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    For a few weeks, I had been getting spams from the "michelle.org team"
    letting me know about various violations I've been engaged in that would
    cause me to lose my account unless I filled out a form.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  18. #18

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > For a few weeks, I had been getting spams from the "michelle.org team"
    > letting me know about various violations I've been engaged in that would
    > cause me to lose my account unless I filled out a form.[/ref]

    Yeah, I got that kind of thing from "the atomicbird.com team". Only
    since I knew I wasn't threatening to cut myself off, I ignored the
    warnings. And as it turned out, I was apparently bluffing about closing
    my account.