Professional Web Applications Themes

<SPAN> Tag - Macromedia Fireworks

I know this is not FW related, it's just a quicky anyway: I noticed that Dreamweaver sometimes applies the <SPAN> tag to my text. But at other times it does not. Does this have anything to do with the fact that my text is inside another element such as a Div or a Table(Cell)? I was just updating my freestyler site locally and it added the same <SPAN> tag again. I must add that I have a seperate CSS style applied to my Div. So if i'm right - according to my theory - the <SPAN> tag is only applied ...

  1. #1

    Default <SPAN> Tag

    I know this is not FW related, it's just a quicky anyway:

    I noticed that Dreamweaver sometimes applies the <SPAN> tag to my text.
    But at other times it does not. Does this have anything to do with the
    fact that my text is inside another element such as a Div or a
    Table(Cell)? I was just updating my freestyler site locally and it added
    the same <SPAN> tag again. I must add that I have a seperate CSS style
    applied to my Div. So if i'm right - according to my theory - the <SPAN>
    tag is only applied when the element in which the <SPAN> text is
    contained already has a style applied to it.

    I remember reading about this in the Dreamweaver 4 Bible which I read
    from beginning to end and backwards... Two ways to apply a style 1)
    Normal style; 2) Spanning the tag. I DO know that whenever I select a
    portion of text from a sentence or a continuous block of text (meaning
    no <p> tags inbetween continuous lines of text) - that a <SPAN> tag is
    applied. I understand this HAS to be done in this way otherwise the
    browser would never know that this part of the sentence or block of text
    has to be rendered in another style than the style applied to the rest
    of the sentence or block of text.

    If i'm asking too much, let me know.

    --

    Coen

    "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."
    _______________________________
    Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Post them on the Forum.

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    ================================
    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources

    *** DevNet ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/[/url]
    *** Styles ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html[/url]
    [url]http://wetworks.nl/freestyler[/url]
    [url]http://richiebee.ca/fireworks.htm[/url]
    *** Flash Panels ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/studio/articles/fw_command_in_flash.html[/url]

    ccnk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: <SPAN> Tag

    The SPAN tag is used when the selection is less than the whole block level
    element. If you select one word within a <P>, it will use a span. If you
    select the entire <P>, it should add the class to the <P> tag.

    "ccnk" <ccnkHAHAhome.nl> wrote in message news:3F889F76.2030708home.nl...

    > I know this is not FW related, it's just a quicky anyway:
    >
    > I noticed that Dreamweaver sometimes applies the <SPAN> tag to my text.
    > But at other times it does not. Does this have anything to do with the
    > fact that my text is inside another element such as a Div or a
    > Table(Cell)? I was just updating my freestyler site locally and it added
    > the same <SPAN> tag again. I must add that I have a seperate CSS style
    > applied to my Div. So if i'm right - according to my theory - the <SPAN>
    > tag is only applied when the element in which the <SPAN> text is
    > contained already has a style applied to it.
    >
    > I remember reading about this in the Dreamweaver 4 Bible which I read
    > from beginning to end and backwards... Two ways to apply a style 1)
    > Normal style; 2) Spanning the tag. I DO know that whenever I select a
    > portion of text from a sentence or a continuous block of text (meaning
    > no <p> tags inbetween continuous lines of text) - that a <SPAN> tag is
    > applied. I understand this HAS to be done in this way otherwise the
    > browser would never know that this part of the sentence or block of text
    > has to be rendered in another style than the style applied to the rest
    > of the sentence or block of text.
    >
    > If i'm asking too much, let me know.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Coen
    >
    > "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."
    > _______________________________
    > Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Post them on the Forum.
    >
    > E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    > ================================
    > Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources
    >
    > *** DevNet ***
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/[/url]
    > *** Styles ***
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html[/url]