Professional Web Applications Themes

Sparc code -> power pc code ? - Mac Programming

Hi Is there any tool which can convert a sparc code (asembler code) to power pc code ?? (or you know how to do it manualy) thank you...

  1. #1

    Default Sparc code -> power pc code ?

    Hi

    Is there any tool which can convert a sparc code (asembler code) to power pc
    code ??
    (or you know how to do it manualy)
    thank you

    Krzys-iek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sparc code -> power pc code ?

    "Krzys-iek" <admin.a.krionix.ten> wrote in message news:<home.net.pl>...

    There probably isn't a tool for this. Writing assembly for RISC
    machines usually requires pretty deep knowledge of their quirks if the
    assembly was written for maximum performance. Do you know what the
    assembler code was supposed to do in detail ? If so you would perhaps
    be better off to re-write it in C or C++, then it would be portable
    and todays machines are much faster so it would execute about as fast.
    Also if this is some math or data manipulation thing perhaps AltaVec
    on the Power PC would be able to execute it orders of magnitude
    faster.

    --jim
    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    net (Jim Schimpf) wrote:

    > There probably isn't a tool for this.[/ref]

    That's where you're wrong... There is indeed a tools for this. It's
    called "A programmer familiar with both SPARC and PPC Assembly
    Language".

    That's the good news.

    The bad news is that anybody I've heard from who has used one of these
    says that they're HUGELY expensive, and quite temperamental.

    --
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  4. #4

    In article <ZVRMb.8366$sonic.net>, Don Bruder
    <net> wrote:

    Funny, I've heard that they can be had by the dozen in the third world
    for $10/hour! Just as good as those hugely expensive people in the
    first world with many years of real-world experience, honest!

    After all, would a salesperson ever stretch the truth?

    -- Chris

    --
    Chris Hanson <com>
    bDistributed.com, Inc.

  5. #5

    In article <130120042014038350%com>,
    Chris Hanson <com> wrote:

    Shhhhh!!! Don't tell anybody! Some of us are tryin' to make a livin'! :)

    How do you know when a salesman/lawyer/politician is lying?

    His lips are moving.

  6. #6

    ----------
    In article <home.net.pl>, "Krzys-iek" <admin.a.krionix.ten>
    wrote:

    If you mean source-to-source translation of files then it should be fairly
    easy to construct a tool which will do much of the donkey work. I did
    something similar a couple of years ago when porting some half-million lines
    of non-Mac M68k assembler to Mac OS8/9 PPC using a package which I wrote in
    Prolog (the grammar rule handling helps with the parsing no end) or you
    could perhaps use Perl.

    The Sparc architecture isn't too dissimilar to PPC (in fact much of the
    architecture is effectively a subset) so much of the mapping is quite
    straightforward. The difficulty is likely to be handling the
    register-windows of the Sparc and, possibly, setting and accessing condition
    codes. You will then also have to cope with system differences e.g.
    cross-module and library calling conventions. I found that this needed a
    manual trawl through the new code but since my conversion was a one-off (and
    I had written the original 68k code) this was a price worth paying.

    You probably need to ask yourself some questions before you make a decision
    on how to proceed:-

    Are there good reasons for keeping the code in assembler? Compilers can do
    an excellent job of code generation for C nowadays so maybe the translation
    should be for a higher level language and let the compilers take the strain
    - nonetheless there are times when you need maximum performance!

    How much code is to be converted? If only a little then maybe the
    construction of a tool isn't worthwhile.

    Do you need to maintain ongoing compatibility between the Sparc and PPC
    versions? If you foresee using a conversion tool regularly then there is
    more justification for getting it to do as much of the job as possible.

    HTH

    Graham Thwaites
    Graham Guest