Professional Web Applications Themes

Specialize in Solaris or HP-UX? - Linux / Unix Administration

Which Unix, solely from the business perspective (based on the the number of Unix admin jobs available) is best to specialize in? HP-UX or Sun Solaris?...

  1. #1

    Default Specialize in Solaris or HP-UX?

    Which Unix, solely from the business perspective (based on the the
    number of
    Unix admin jobs available) is best to specialize in?

    HP-UX or Sun Solaris?

    SQ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Specialize in Solaris or HP-UX?

    On 14 Apr 2006 10:26:29 -0700, SQ <com> wrote:

    Neither. Both. Specialization is for Insects. [1] A good admin can
    switch from one Unix to another easily, if they _understand_ rather than
    _memorize_.

    Dave Hinz

    [1] http://www.elise.com/quotes/a/heinlein_specialization_is_for_insects.php

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    SQ wrote:

    Generally well knowing more "flavors" of UNIX(/LINUX/BSD/...) is
    better. For better, or worse, the largest differences tend to show up
    in the systems administration realm for each operating system.

    Knowing only one, will significantly limit one's opportunities.
    Knowing two or more is certainly better. Knowing one, and learning a
    second (especially if it's after one's had years of
    work/experience/training in exactly one "flavor") is much more
    difficult than knowing two, and learning a third (and the more
    clueful employers will generally know this). The primary reason
    being, once one is rather familiar with two (or more) quite distinct
    flavors, one can better anticipate where any particular flavor is
    likely to be different - and where it's likely to be the same. One
    can also study the relevant standards, but it's probably generally
    more useful to have, or at least include, lots of practical
    experience to go along with that.

    One can certain do counts from various sources (Web, Usenet,
    newspapers/magazines, etc.) of various key
    words/terms/names/combinations, but that can give rather unscientific
    results. Looking at openings, requirements, and compensation, can be a
    fair indicator, but that may only be an indicator for today, not next
    quarter, or next year (COBOL programming probably looked much hotter in
    1998 and 1999 than it does today).

    Try to find out not only where things are, but where they are going and
    are likely to go. It's also useful to know where things have been (at
    least certain parts/aspects of history, do have a tendency to repeat
    themselves).

    references/excerpts:
    http://www.sage.org/salsurv/

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    SQ <com> wrote:

    From almost any perspective, based on the magnitude and frequency of shifts in
    the market, it's best to know as much as possible about as many things as
    possible. Avoid vendor lockin for your skills for the same reasons you avoid
    vendor lockin for your software and systems.
    --
    Mark Rafn net <http://www.dagon.net/>
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > Neither. Both. Specialization is for Insects. [1][/ref]

    This is on of my favorite quotes. Humans are generalists -
    In biology specialization is the path to extinction.

    That hardest lesson of all to teach. When I conduct interviews
    I try to test understanding over memory. Create scenarios on
    the fly and see how the candidate reacts.

    If I have the choice between a candidate with experience in
    one vendor and a candidate with experience in several, the
    several gets favored.

    However, if you change one word of the question, there are
    answers that start to make sense - Which one to *start* in
    if possible?

    Solaris work than HP-UX so it makes some amount of sense
    to go with the majority and try for Solaris first. But definitely
    plan on cycling through the major vendors or face extinction.

    Doug Guest

  6. #6

    SQ wrote:

    If those are your options, take Solaris: HP appears to be killing
    off HP-UX.

    Maybe with whats-her-face fired, that will change.
    base60 Guest

  7. #7

    In article <net>,
    Dave Hinz <net> writes:

    > Neither. Both. Specialization is for Insects. [1] A good admin can
    > switch from one Unix to another easily, if they _understand_ rather than
    > _memorize_.
    >
    > Dave Hinz
    >
    > [1] http://www.elise.com/quotes/a/heinlein_specialization_is_for_insects.php
    >[/ref]
    Second that motion! Since both share a common ancestor (SVR4), understand the
    ancestor and you should be able to shift back and forth between them. Only
    after you _understand_ SVR4 should you worry about the vendors' "value add",
    and even then I'd say avoid specializing.

    Equally, _understand_ the unix way of doing things, which is pretty consistent
    across all "families" (BSD, SVR4, OSF): fairly small tools that do something
    well and connect together in a meaningful way to product a desired result.

    -----
    "We can forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
    tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." ---Plato
    -----

    Robert Guest