Professional Web Applications Themes

Specified SQL Server Not Found - ASP Database

We have an server (w2k) which amongst other things hosts out intranet. The intranet site is partially DB-driven, but the DB was hosted on a different server (w2k/w2k3). We had to do some maintenance on the SQL Server machine, so we temporarily copied the DB to a 3rd server (w2k), which is at a different site connected by a decent microwave link. Obviously, simply changing the name of the server in the ASP connection string was sufficient to redirect to the 3rd server. However, having rebuilt the original SQL Server (now w2k3), and changed the connection string back, the web ...

  1. #1

    Default Specified SQL Server Not Found

    We have an server (w2k) which amongst other things hosts out intranet. The
    intranet site is partially DB-driven, but the DB was hosted on a different
    server (w2k/w2k3).

    We had to do some maintenance on the SQL Server machine, so we temporarily
    copied the DB to a 3rd server (w2k), which is at a different site connected
    by a decent microwave link.

    Obviously, simply changing the name of the server in the ASP connection
    string was sufficient to redirect to the 3rd server.

    However, having rebuilt the original SQL Server (now w2k3), and changed the
    connection string back, the web server cannot seem to 'see' the SQL server:

    "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    [DBNMPNTW]Specified SQL server not found. "

    My first thoughts were that there were problems with the rebuilt w2k3
    machine. However, let me introduce machine #4 - my development PC (XP Pro).
    My PC holds a copy of the intranet, and a copy of the DB. Not only can my
    machine successfully feed off the rebuilt SQL Server, but nor can the
    original Web Server read my copy of the database either.

    The original web server is showing it's age. Although it has recently been
    upgraded to 1Gb of memory, it only has a 800Mhz processor. It's also quite a
    busy machine.

    I was wondering what I can do to solve this problem? Why can't the original
    server see the SQL Server??

    Thanks

    Chris

    CJM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Specified SQL Server Not Found

    CJM wrote:
    > We have an server (w2k) which amongst other things hosts out
    > intranet. The intranet site is partially DB-driven, but the DB was
    > hosted on a different server (w2k/w2k3).
    >
    > We had to do some maintenance on the SQL Server machine, so we
    > temporarily copied the DB to a 3rd server (w2k), which is at a
    > different site connected by a decent microwave link.
    >
    > Obviously, simply changing the name of the server in the ASP
    > connection string was sufficient to redirect to the 3rd server.
    >
    > However, having rebuilt the original SQL Server (now w2k3), and
    > changed the connection string back, the web server cannot seem to
    > 'see' the SQL server:
    >
    > "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    > [DBNMPNTW]Specified SQL server not found. "
    >
    > My first thoughts were that there were problems with the rebuilt w2k3
    > machine. However, let me introduce machine #4 - my development PC (XP
    > Pro). My PC holds a copy of the intranet, and a copy of the DB. Not
    > only can my machine successfully feed off the rebuilt SQL Server, but
    > nor can the original Web Server read my copy of the database either.
    >
    > The original web server is showing it's age. Although it has recently
    > been upgraded to 1Gb of memory, it only has a 800Mhz processor. It's
    > also quite a busy machine.
    >
    > I was wondering what I can do to solve this problem? Why can't the
    > original server see the SQL Server??

    First off, can the SQL Server be pinged by name from the machine that is
    trying to connect to it? If so, try creating a UDL file on the box and use
    it to establish a connection (just create a text file and rename it with a
    ..UDL extension. When you double-click it, you should be shown a wizard to
    walk you through creating a connection). Let us know if that works.

    If it can't be pinged by name, try pinging it by IP address. If that works,
    change your connection string to use TCP/IP instead of named pipes using the
    Network Library attribute. This will allow you to use the IP address instead
    of the server name in the connection string. See
    [url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url] for details.

    If it can't be pinged, then you need to get the network guys involved.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message

    > First off, can the SQL Server be pinged by name from the machine that is
    > trying to connect to it? If so, try creating a UDL file on the box and use
    > it to establish a connection (just create a text file and rename it with a
    > .UDL extension. When you double-click it, you should be shown a wizard to
    > walk you through creating a connection). Let us know if that works.

    I can ping it by name or IP. No problems.

    I tried your UDL method, but this doesnt work either:

    The wizard enumerates the available SQL Servers correctly and include the
    rebuilt w2k3 server.

    The SQL Server uses SQL authentication (as opposed to integrated Windows
    Authentication). If I enter a UID/Pwd,
    the databases are NOT enumerated. If I change across to Windows Auth, the
    databases ARE enumerated. Obviously, this is
    not any good for my purposes, but it demonstrates that the IIS machine can
    see the SQL Server.

    I wondered if it was a w2k3 issue, but I tried the same UDL wizard from a
    similar w2k server; this time it DID connect to the w2k3 server.

    Any further ideas?

    Cheers

    Chris

    CJM Guest

  4. #4

    CJM wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    >>
    >> First off, can the SQL Server be pinged by name from the machine
    >> that is trying to connect to it? If so, try creating a UDL file on
    >> the box and use it to establish a connection (just create a text
    >> file and rename it with a .UDL extension. When you double-click it,
    >> you should be shown a wizard to walk you through creating a
    >> connection). Let us know if that works.
    >>

    > I can ping it by name or IP. No problems.
    >
    > I tried your UDL method, but this doesnt work either:
    >
    > The wizard enumerates the available SQL Servers correctly and include
    > the rebuilt w2k3 server.
    >
    > The SQL Server uses SQL authentication (as opposed to integrated
    > Windows Authentication). If I enter a UID/Pwd,
    > the databases are NOT enumerated. If I change across to Windows Auth,
    > the databases ARE enumerated. Obviously, this is
    > not any good for my purposes, but it demonstrates that the IIS
    > machine can see the SQL Server.

    This sounds as if Mixed Authentication is not enabled on your SQL Server.
    Using Enterprise Manager, right-click the Server node and select Properties
    from the context menu. Go to the Security tab and make sure "SQL Server and
    Windows" is checked.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows Guest

  5. #5

    Bob,

    Mixed Authentication IS enabled.

    This all works on the other machines.

    My latest suspicion is that it is the MDAC version that is the problem. The
    web server still has SQL v3.70.xx drivers (circa W2K SP1/MADAC2.5). I
    suspect that these drivers can't talk to the new v2000.85.xx drivers that
    come bundled with W2K3.

    We're downloadind MDAC2.8.... I'll post the results back later...

    Chris

    CJM Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Chris,

    If you use IP address instead of the server (win2003) name, will make the
    connection successful? Also, you may check if the TCP/IP protocol are
    enabled in SQL server network utilities.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]
    rights.)

    MSFT Guest

  7. #7

    Just for the record, upgrading MDAC from v2.5 to v2.8 on the Web Server did
    the trick...

    Thanks

    CJM Guest

  8. #8