Professional Web Applications Themes

Spoof "Mail.App" to be Outlook is it possible? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi. Our Uni has taken the security step to beat all others. It suffered the recent msblast worm and the servers were down for well over a week. Now they have decided to upgrade all the PC systems to win2000 and block all email apps except Outlook for PC. My 12" PB is used to collect all email and now I can't. The computer dept are not interested in Macs and will not unblock "Mail" so I wondered if there is a way to make the Mail.app pretend it is Outlook for PC (and no, I don't mean I want ...

  1. #1

    Default Spoof "Mail.App" to be Outlook is it possible?

    Hi.

    Our Uni has taken the security step to beat all others. It suffered the
    recent msblast worm and the servers were down for well over a week. Now
    they have decided to upgrade all the PC systems to win2000 and block
    all email apps except Outlook for PC.

    My 12" PB is used to collect all email and now I can't. The computer
    dept are not interested in Macs and will not unblock "Mail" so I
    wondered if there is a way to make the Mail.app pretend it is Outlook
    for PC (and no, I don't mean I want it to crash). Any help will be much
    appreciated. If it is not possible with Mail is their another email
    app, Eudora for example that is able to be spoofed.

    --
    Sue
    Sue Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Spoof "Mail.App" to be Outlook is it possible?

    Sue Upwood <invalid> writes:

    That's beyond idiotic.

    Sign on to Outlook (at school on someone else's computer).
    To to Tools->Rules Wizard...

    Set up a rule on their Exchange server which forwards all of
    your mail out to somewhere else.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  3. #3

    Sue Upwood <invalid> writes:

    You'd think the logical response would be to get *rid* of Outlook for the
    PC.
    --
    Dale J. Stephenson
    com

  4. #4

    In article <panix.com>,
    <net> wrote:

    > That's beyond idiotic.

    > Sign on to Outlook (at school on someone else's computer).
    > To to Tools->Rules Wizard...
    >
    > Set up a rule on their Exchange server which forwards all of
    > your mail out to somewhere else.[/ref]

    Thanks for that, I will see if the server can route it to another
    domain, but I really would like to get a Mac app that can cirvent
    this idiotic rule, just to show them that their system is flawed if
    nothing else.

    --
    Sue
    Sue Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>, Dale J. Stephenson
    <com> wrote:

    > You'd think the logical response would be to get *rid* of Outlook for the
    > PC.[/ref]

    Yes, all the Mac users and there are many, but they are a minority, now
    know that the comp dept are every bit as wise as we have always thought
    they were.

    --
    Sue
    Sue Guest

  6. #6

    In article <170920031806050043%invalid>, Sue Upwood
    <invalid> wrote:

    You can't block mail apps, because when a mail app gets your mail, it
    does not say "Hi, I'm Mailsmith, can I please have Sue's mail?" The
    mail server has no way of knowing what mail client you are using.

    However, assuming they are running Exchange, they can turn off POP and
    IMAP access. Then you can only access the server with MAPI. You
    should be able to use any MAPI client. Unfortunately there are none
    besides Outlook. (Well, there's Ximian Evolution, but it doesn't rn on
    the Mac.)

    There is nothing to "spoof" because, again, mail programs do not
    identify themselves when checking mail. So no, this is not possible.
    Mail, Eudora, etc. do not support MAPI, so they cannot be used in place
    of Outlook. What you might do is suggest to the authors of your
    favorite e-mail program that they support MAPI. Exchange is, after
    all, a major enterprise platform. If Apple ever wants to make headway
    in the corporate world, the company will need to integrate Mail.app and
    iCal with Microsoft Exchange Server.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  7. #7

    In article <170920031428479286%invalid>, Jerry
    Kindall <invalid> wrote:

    > You can't block mail apps, because when a mail app gets your mail, it
    > does not say "Hi, I'm Mailsmith, can I please have Sue's mail?" The
    > mail server has no way of knowing what mail client you are using.[/ref]

    Okay, thank you for that info, it is now a little clearer what they
    have done, but not why.

    Thanks again, I at least now know to look for a client that does MAPI.

    > There is nothing to "spoof" because, again, mail programs do not
    > identify themselves when checking mail. So no, this is not possible.
    > Mail, Eudora, etc. do not support MAPI, so they cannot be used in place
    > of Outlook. What you might do is suggest to the authors of your
    > favorite e-mail program that they support MAPI. Exchange is, after
    > all, a major enterprise platform. If Apple ever wants to make headway
    > in the corporate world, the company will need to integrate Mail.app and
    > iCal with Microsoft Exchange Server.[/ref]

    Well I don't think Apple will listen to one lone voice, but it would be
    worth their while if a Uni can effectively block the use of Macs for
    email, I wouldn't change platforms, but there are many who will because
    they just want it to work.

    --
    Sue
    Sue Guest

  8. #8

    Sue Upwood <invalid> wrote:

    > > You can't block mail apps, because when a mail app gets your mail, it
    > > does not say "Hi, I'm Mailsmith, can I please have Sue's mail?" The
    > > mail server has no way of knowing what mail client you are using.[/ref]
    >
    > Okay, thank you for that info, it is now a little clearer what they
    > have done, but not why.
    >
    > Thanks again, I at least now know to look for a client that does MAPI.[/ref]

    You can use Outlook 2001 for the Macintosh (not Outlook Express!!!).
    This is MacOS 9 only, but it should run in Classic as well. It is free
    and is still available from the Microsoft website.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/outlookformac/outlookformac.a
    spx?pid=outlookformac

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

  9. #9

    In article <1g1gfo5.jvn0su14fa0qxN%invalid>, Johan W.
    Elzenga <invalid> wrote:

    > You can use Outlook 2001 for the Macintosh (not Outlook Express!!!).
    > This is MacOS 9 only, but it should run in Classic as well. It is free
    > and is still available from the Microsoft website.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/outlookformac/outlookformac.a
    > spx?pid=outlookformac[/ref]

    I realise I can use Outlook on the Mac, I just don't want too. Classic
    is a kludge and as MS won't be updating IE and or Outlook it is only a
    short term fix. Better to get the email redirected if I can and
    continue with Mail which works fine for me or Eudora which I used in
    the past, uless or until Apple, Eudora or someone else will adopt MAPI.

    --
    Sue
    Sue Guest

  10. #10

    Sue Upwood <invalid> wrote:

    Desperate :-(
    There is Outlook for Mac. It won't run unless you log in to a MS
    Exchange Server, so I don't know why they won't allow that,
    but I wouldn't wish it on you...

    email apps in general don't spoof. As for Exchange Servers...
    I was collecting my mail from one with Eudora, then they gave me some
    admin rights on another server in the same domain: Eudora couldn't
    connect anymore. I flagged away the admin rights to avoid Outlook.
    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    In article <170920031806050043%invalid>,
    Sue Upwood <invalid> wrote:

    Kind of strange, having problems with Windows and Microsoft, and then
    forcing a MS monoculture :-)
    The university over here went for unix and authentication via ssl
    instead. And yes, they do have many PC's.

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  12. #12

    In article <170920032249302820%invalid>, Sue Upwood
    <invalid> wrote:

    > Well I don't think Apple will listen to one lone voice, but it would be
    > worth their while if a Uni can effectively block the use of Macs for
    > email, I wouldn't change platforms, but there are many who will because
    > they just want it to work.[/ref]

    There'll be a lot of voices rejoicing if Apple does this. :) Or they
    should loan a couple of engineers to Ximian and have them port
    Evolution to Mac OS X. It already runs on Linux and Solaris; at the
    very least an X Window port shouldn't be hard.

  13. #13

    In article <170920031428479286%invalid>,
    Jerry Kindall <invalid> wrote:

    > You can't block mail apps, because when a mail app gets your mail, it
    > does not say "Hi, I'm Mailsmith, can I please have Sue's mail?" The
    > mail server has no way of knowing what mail client you are using.
    >
    > However, assuming they are running Exchange, they can turn off POP and
    > IMAP access. Then you can only access the server with MAPI. You
    > should be able to use any MAPI client. Unfortunately there are none
    > besides Outlook. (Well, there's Ximian Evolution, but it doesn't rn on
    > the Mac.)[/ref]

    Actually, there is an Exchange client for the Mac... ...called Outlook.

    Outlook 2001 for Mac, to be specific.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/outlookformac/outlookformac.a
    spx?pid=outlookformac>

    > There is nothing to "spoof" because, again, mail programs do not
    > identify themselves when checking mail. So no, this is not possible.
    > Mail, Eudora, etc. do not support MAPI, so they cannot be used in place
    > of Outlook. What you might do is suggest to the authors of your
    > favorite e-mail program that they support MAPI. Exchange is, after
    > all, a major enterprise platform. If Apple ever wants to make headway
    > in the corporate world, the company will need to integrate Mail.app and
    > iCal with Microsoft Exchange Server.[/ref]

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  14. #14

    In article <170920031806050043%invalid>,
    Sue Upwood <invalid> wrote:

    If what they're doing is moving to an Exchange server running MAPI, then
    there is an Outlook 2001 for Mac that will work fine.

  15. #15

    Sue Upwood <invalid> wrote:

    > I realise I can use Outlook on the Mac, I just don't want too. Classic
    > is a kludge and as MS won't be updating IE and or Outlook it is only a
    > short term fix. Better to get the email redirected if I can and
    > continue with Mail which works fine for me or Eudora which I used in
    > the past, uless or until Apple, Eudora or someone else will adopt MAPI.[/ref]

    Entourage X now has Exchange support as well, but it's part of the
    Office X package...

  16. #16

    invalid (Johan W. Elzenga) writes: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Entourage for OS X is available as a standalone
    package as well, for those who don't need the rest of Office.

    Amazon's got it listed for about $95.

  17. #17

    Just a quick question...

    What university's IT department has taken this horrendous step? Perhaps if we each send them a letter of concern...

    Andrew.

    Andrew Guest

  18. #18

    Default Thanks. was: Re: Spoof "Mail.App" to be Outlook is it possible?

    In article <com>, Andrew A.
    <com> wrote:

    It's west of London, but I would rather not name it especially as I
    have just been told that an email has been circulated asking if Mac
    users would like to keep the old server to collect their mail as they
    did before. Seems we are not a forgotten minority afterall. Thanks to
    everyone who offered suggestions and especially the explanation about
    MAPI.

    --
    Sue
    Sue Guest

  19. #19

    In article <panix.com>,
    <net> wrote:
     [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > Entourage for OS X is available as a standalone
    > package as well, for those who don't need the rest of Office.
    >
    > Amazon's got it listed for about $95.[/ref]

    Entourage does not do MAPI. Its Exchange "support" requires that IMAP
    be enabled on the server, so it would not work in this situation.