Professional Web Applications Themes

sprite positions lingo thingie making director crazy? - Macromedia Director Lingo

Hi, I'm not super advanced with lingo, but I know a little. I'm doing an animation and I have fifty some sprites moving. I used the pre-scripted "waft" behaviour from the library and did some tweaking so that all the sprites fall from their original positions in the way I wanted them to. Now I want to use the same cast members as NEW sprites but I want them to start in the positions that they originally fell to. Because there's some randomness factor, this position will be different everytime. I think I figured it out and it worked, then ...

  1. #1

    Default sprite positions lingo thingie making director crazy?

    Hi,
    I'm not super advanced with lingo, but I know a little.
    I'm doing an animation and I have fifty some sprites moving. I used the
    pre-scripted "waft" behaviour from the library and did some tweaking so
    that all the sprites fall from their original positions in the way I wanted
    them to. Now I want to use the same cast members as NEW sprites but I want
    them to start in the positions that they originally fell to. Because
    there's some randomness factor, this position will be different everytime.
    I think I figured it out and it worked, then I closed director and renamed
    the file and when I opened it again it was crazy.

    I had a movie script declaring a global value (gpositions) that would store
    the positions of the sprites in a list (the quad points). Then in my waft
    behaviour I told it to store the positions in the list. So far so good.
    In the behaviour I attached to the second sprites I used
    sprite(me.spritenum).quad = gpositions[me.spritenum] so it will find and
    use the correct position from the list before the sprite begins.

    It worked fine, I closed director, I remanamed the file. When I reopened
    director there was an error message saying that it didn't recognise what
    the variable "gpositions" was. Now if I open director and play the movie,
    it doesn't give me the window telling me what the error was and asking me
    whether I want to debug, use the script, or cancel - it just opens the
    debugger and it doesn't like for me to CLOSE it.

    It's crazy! Hopefully somebody reading this newsgroup can shed some light
    on this craziness for me. :)

    anne encephalon Guest

  2. #2

    If I close the debugger window that pops up a few times THEN it takes me to
    the window explaining the error. It used to say "variable used before
    assigned a value" with respect to the gpositions list but now it's saying

    error: error
    sprite(me.spritenum).quad = gpositions[me.spritenum]
    -2147218487

    what does this mean? hmm....
    anne encephalon Guest