I am having difficulties loading Debian 2.4.18 onto a computer, which
issues
the "Spurious Interupt 7" problem which appears doented in many
places around the net (quite good link at
[url]http://www7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~ksjh/research/cluster/timesync/sprint.html[/url].
)

I am attempting to install Debian "2.4.18-bf2.6" using the 10MB "boot
floppy" bootbd2.4.iso placed on a bootable CD, as found at
[url]http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/[/url] . I have used this CD
create three other working Debian boxes (with all sorts of different
hardware), so believe there is some exotic setting or piece of
hardware
causing the problem.

In BIOS I've tried disabling IRQ7, using, and not using IRQ7 for the
parallel port, resetting to BIOS default, and enabling and disabling
all the
onboard components (audio, network, video), toggling 'PnP OS' and many
other
settings.

The error occurs soon after choosing the kernal image to load, and
after a
preliminary amount of initialistion, and hardware has been detected.
It
dumps into an Oops with a page full of error codes, traces, etc, and
ending
with;

Code : Bad EIP value
<0> Kernal panic: Attempted to kill init.

....then about 10 secs later...

spurious 8259A interupt: IRQ7.

This causes the machine to hang I need to power off rather than do a
soft
(via Ctrl-Alt-Del) reboot.

Much delving on google also recommended trying to use an alternative
HDD,
which I have tried, to no avail. It seems to me to be a hardware
problem,
but exactly what it is, and thus what the remedy is, escapes me!

Do you have any other ideas?

Siggy