Professional Web Applications Themes

SQL Server 2000 to MYSQL - MySQL

Im looking to moving over to MYSQL as Im getting sick of Micro$oft. At any rate I had a visual basic .net 2003 application written that pulls from sql server 2000. What are the chances of being able to import the databse into mysql and then still using the same application without changing any code against the mysql database? I guess Im just wondering if it would be possible to move from sql server to mysql without changing the application code. Thanks - jon...

  1. #1

    Default SQL Server 2000 to MYSQL

    langjr15@uwgb.edu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SQL Server 2000 to MYSQL

    == Quote from "edu" (edu)'s article

    chances are high that you wouldn't have to do any code change. depending upon how
    you have setup your application, presumably all you have to do is change the
    connection string and viola, you'd be hitting a different database server.

    for migrating to mysql, there is a great tool that does all the migration for you.
    check out mysql's website and look for the migration tool in their download
    section. good luck and welcome to mysql world.
    --
    POST BY: lark with PHP News Reader
    lark Guest

  3. #3

    On 22 Jun, 15:14, lark <net> wrote:

    > chances are high that you wouldn't have to do any code change. depending upon how
    > you have setup your application, presumably all you have to do is change the
    > connection string and viola, you'd be hitting a different database server.
    >
    > for migrating to mysql, there is a great tool that does all the migration for you.
    > check out mysql's website and look for the migration tool in their download
    > section. good luck and welcome to mysql world.
    > --
    > POST BY: lark with PHP News Reader[/ref]

    Are the api calls to sql server 2000 the same as those for mysql then?

    Captain Guest

  4. #4

    edu wrote:

    The exporting part is quite simple, there are some 3rd party tools at
    www.mysql.com that helps you to move data from other databases into mysql.

    When it come to the application, it depends a lot how well it's written and
    how it communicates with the database. Keep in minds that different
    sql-servers has features not supported by ANSI-SQL and can cause trouble with
    some sql-queries.

    It's not possible to give you a proper answer without seen the application.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Guest

  5. #5

    == Quote from Captain Paralytic (com)'s article

    > > chances are high that you wouldn't have to do any code change. depending upon how
    > > you have setup your application, presumably all you have to do is change the
    > > connection string and viola, you'd be hitting a different database server.
    > >
    > > for migrating to mysql, there is a great tool that does all the migration for you.
    > > check out mysql's website and look for the migration tool in their download
    > > section. good luck and welcome to mysql world.
    > > --
    > > POST BY: lark with PHP News Reader[/ref]
    > Are the api calls to sql server 2000 the same as those for mysql then?[/ref]

    believe so! normally the api calls access a db access layer such as adodb and then
    through that, an application gets access to its data.