Professional Web Applications Themes

SQL Server does not exist or access denied. - ASP.NET Security

Hi, I had the same issues. I ended up learning more about SQL that I had intended. In the end I discovered that GrocerToGo had not been installed somehow. I think the install process had pooped out before it got to that part. I found a sql file and ran it through osql (search your pc for *.sql and you will find the grocer.sql) There's a file that's installed with the quickstart C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Samples\Setup\html\ConfigDetails.htm is the path on my pc. It outlines how to setup the permissions - how it did that. I had installed the ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    Hi, I had the same issues. I ended up learning more about SQL that I had
    intended. In the end I discovered that GrocerToGo had not been installed
    somehow. I think the install process had pooped out before it got to that
    part. I found a sql file and ran it through osql (search your pc for *.sql
    and you will find the grocer.sql)

    There's a file that's installed with the quickstart

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\SDK\v1.1\Samples\Setup\html\ConfigDetails.htm

    is the path on my pc. It outlines how to setup the permissions - how it did
    that.

    I had installed the 1.0 framework and the ConfigDetails.htm was clearer in
    that version that it was in the 1.1 doentation.

    From a dos prompt I was able to type

    osql -S MACHINE223\NetSDK -E

    This gave me a 1> prompt which meant I was connected

    I saw from the 7th line of grocer.sql that the database name was GrocerToGo
    so I tried

    use GrocerToGo
    go

    This initially gave me an error which indicated that the database was not
    installed. I ran the sql through it with the -i switch and then I had to
    setup the permissions again sp_grantlogin and sp_grantdbaccess and
    sp_addrolemember just like in the ConfigDetails.htm file above.

    That solved my issues. I hope it will help you.

    "Ethelyn Holmes" <eholmes2cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed the .NET framework:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET
    > Version:1.1.4322.573 and SDK on Windows XP. I'm going
    > through the tutorials and everything went okay until I
    > tried to run the Sample Applications. "A Personalized
    > Portal" and "An E-Commerce Storefront" results in the
    > above error.
    >
    > Here's the stack trace from Storefront:
    > [SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access
    > denied.]
    > Market.InventoryDB.GetProducts(Int32 categoryID) in
    > e:\DNA\samples\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\grocerto go\CS\Ma
    > rket.cs:43
    > _ASP.GrocerToGo_aspx.UpdateProducts() +131
    > _ASP.GrocerToGo_aspx.Page_Load(Object sender,
    > EventArgs e) +40
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > e!

    John Toop Guest

  2. #2

    Have you confirmed that the address of the SQL Server in your Connection
    String is correct? If so, have you confirmed that the database that you are
    connecting to exists? If so, have you confirmed that the user account your
    Connection String uses to connect to the SQL Server has the correct
    permissions to perform the operation(s) in your code?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    Big things are made up of
    lots of little things.

    "Ethelyn Holmes" <eholmes2cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed the .NET framework:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET
    > Version:1.1.4322.573 and SDK on Windows XP. I'm going
    > through the tutorials and everything went okay until I
    > tried to run the Sample Applications. "A Personalized
    > Portal" and "An E-Commerce Storefront" results in the
    > above error.
    >
    > Here's the stack trace from Storefront:
    > [SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access
    > denied.]
    > Market.InventoryDB.GetProducts(Int32 categoryID) in
    > e:\DNA\samples\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\grocerto go\CS\Ma
    > rket.cs:43
    > _ASP.GrocerToGo_aspx.UpdateProducts() +131
    > _ASP.GrocerToGo_aspx.Page_Load(Object sender,
    > EventArgs e) +40
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > e!

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  3. #3

    Default SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    hi group,

    i previously have a single machine development environment on server03
    (w2K3, stand alone, SQL2K).
    i configured it so that my app is using "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" to
    access to the database it and it worked just so fine.

    now, i am installing my asp.net app and database to a new production
    environment.
    my asp.net apps goes on server01 (w2k3, .net 1.1, domain controller).
    my database on server02 (w2K3, stand alone, SQL2K).
    now i get an error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied".
    how do i setup so that my apps on server01 gets to access the database on
    server02?

    any help will be appreciated.

    tnx!

    GG

    gg Guest

  5. #5

    Set up your ASP.NET process to use a domain account rather than a local
    account. You can do this by editing your machine.config, or by using
    impersonation on ASP.NET, having anonymous authentication, and then setting
    IIS to use that domain account as its process identity. Alternately, you
    could use authentication and set up permissions for all of your users on the
    SQL server.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer
    "gg" <gg.subscribehotpop.com> wrote in message
    > hi group,
    >
    > i previously have a single machine development environment on server03
    > (w2K3, stand alone, SQL2K).
    > i configured it so that my app is using "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" to
    > access to the database it and it worked just so fine.
    >
    > now, i am installing my asp.net app and database to a new production
    > environment.
    > my asp.net apps goes on server01 (w2k3, .net 1.1, domain controller).
    > my database on server02 (w2K3, stand alone, SQL2K).
    > now i get an error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied".
    > how do i setup so that my apps on server01 gets to access the database on
    > server02?
    >
    > any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > tnx!
    >
    > GG

    Chris Jackson Guest

  6. #6

    Check the database permissions. It won't work if they have not been assigned
    properly.

    "gg" <gg.subscribehotpop.com> wrote in message
    > hi group,
    >
    > i previously have a single machine development environment on server03
    > (w2K3, stand alone, SQL2K).
    > i configured it so that my app is using "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" to
    > access to the database it and it worked just so fine.
    >
    > now, i am installing my asp.net app and database to a new production
    > environment.
    > my asp.net apps goes on server01 (w2k3, .net 1.1, domain controller).
    > my database on server02 (w2K3, stand alone, SQL2K).
    > now i get an error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied".
    > how do i setup so that my apps on server01 gets to access the database on
    > server02?
    >
    > any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > tnx!
    >
    > GG

    scorpion53061 Guest

  7. #7

    I am new to Dream Weaver MX 2004, when I create a new SQL server connection, it
    prompted me error message says "[DBNETLIB] [ConnectionOpen (Connect()).] SQl
    Server does not exist or access denied.". Please let me know what I did wrong.

    The config sentence was
    ""Persist Security Info=False;
    Data Source=[localhost];
    Initial Catalog=[pubs];
    User ID=[sa];
    Password=[password]"
    Do I need to setup a DSN in my windows first?

    Thanks!

    Frank

    fmiao@21cn.com Guest

  8. #8

    hi

    Have a look at the following thread. it may help. I had the same problem with
    SQL server connecting to it. Yes, define data source name, using ODBC admin.
    and then follow the link to the extension you need and follow instructions,
    somewhere in the thread.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=263&thre[/url]
    adid=996081

    sjb34 Guest

  9. #9

    Hello all,

    I am having a really frustrating time with our servers....

    once a week, the cold fusion server can't (or won't) connect to our separate
    MS-SQL server. It reports back an error that the connection could not be found
    or is denied. Our servers are running Windows 2000 Server and have the latest
    SP installed.

    To fix the problem, I just restart coldfusion and that's it. I have searched
    google groups and these forums but have not found any real solution. Can
    someone help??

    Thank you!!

    DettCom Guest

  10. #10

    Perhaps you have some investigating to do the next time this occurs?

    Have you tried any of these...

    * Go to CF Admin and verify the datasource
    * Delete and recreate datasource
    * Try to create a new datasource
    * Try to ping SQL Server from CF server

    Also, in general, you should consider not using ODBC.

    Good luck!

    Guest

  11. #11

    I have tried that and it still occurs. It seems to be something related to CF
    server (which is CF 5). What other ways can I connect to the MSSQL server? Do
    you think WIN2000 could be having issues?

    Thank you for your help.

    DettCom Guest

  12. #12

    > I have tried that and it still occurs

    When you deleted and recreated the datasource, it seems to me that the
    recreate should have failed? At least until you restart the CF service.

    But if you were able to delete, recreate, and still get the same error message
    until a restart, you might be out of luck.

    Good luck!

    Guest

  13. #13

    I still cannot find any solution to this problem. Has anyone run into a similar issue?
    DettCom Guest