Professional Web Applications Themes

SQL30081N - IBM DB2

I have the db2 sample db on a linux (on 390) system up and running, but when I tried to configure a connection from using the DB2 Developer client installed on my PC I get the above error. Addition information is the protocol specific error is 10061 and the sqlstate is 08001. What commands on the server will show me the correct information to set up the client communications? From the server db2inst1ddclnx1:~> db2 connect to sample Database Connection Information Database server = DB2/LINUX390 8.1.0 SQL authorization ID = DB2INST1 Local database alias = SAMPLE db2inst1ddclnx1:~> db2set db2comm tcpip Here ...

  1. #1

    Default SQL30081N

    I have the db2 sample db on a linux (on 390) system up and running,
    but when I tried to configure a connection from using the DB2
    Developer client installed on my PC I get the above error. Addition
    information is the protocol specific error is 10061 and the sqlstate
    is 08001.

    What commands on the server will show me the correct information to
    set up the client communications?

    From the server
    db2inst1ddclnx1:~> db2 connect to sample

    Database Connection Information

    Database server = DB2/LINUX390 8.1.0
    SQL authorization ID = DB2INST1
    Local database alias = SAMPLE

    db2inst1ddclnx1:~> db2set db2comm
    tcpip

    Here is the output from db2 list database directory for the sample db

    Database alias = SAMPLE
    Database name = SAMPLE
    Local database directory = /home/db2inst1
    Database release level = a.00
    Comment =
    Directory entry type = Indirect
    Catalog database partition number = 0

    When the first steps program asks for the service name how do you know
    which entry from the /etc/services to use. There are 4 entries: 3 for
    db2inst1, one each for ports 50000, 50001, and 50002 plus one entry
    for a slightly different name db2inst1c for 60000.

    -- Mark D Powell --
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SQL30081N

    Recommend that you use the Configuration Assistant to set up
    client-to-server connectivity.

    Larry Edelstein

    Larry Guest

  3. #3

    Also ... a 10061 usually indicates that something is not properly set up on
    the server side.You would need to check things like is db2 started, are the
    environment variables set up, are the proper entries in etc/services, etc.
    You should read the"configuring a client to server connection" section in
    the "DB2 Server Edition Quick Beginnings" guide.

    Larry Edelstein

    Larry Edelstein wrote:
     [/ref]

    Larry Guest

  4. #4

    Larry Edelstein <com> wrote in message news:<com>... [/ref][/ref]

    Larry, any ideas what to check? The server side was set up by the
    install and is a default install. I though from the instructions/log
    that everything was ready to go but obviously I need to manually
    configure something. The question is what?

    -- Mark --
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    Mark,

    Are you using the CA on the client to do this? Difficult to know which port # to use. You need
    to know which instance you want to connect to and which port #s are valid.

    Check the dbm cfg parms on the server (db2 get dbm cfg): be sure that (SVCENAME) is set to the
    same servicename as in the etc/services file; be sure that (DISCOVER) = SEARCH and
    (DISCOVER_INST) = ENABLE.

    Check the db cfg parms for each database (db2 get db cfg for dbname): be sure that
    (DISCOVER_DB) = ENABLE.

    Issue db2set -all (on server): ensure that DB2COMM=TCPIP.

    Make sure that db2 is started on the server. Make sure that there is an administration server
    on the server and that it is started ("db2admin start").

    Lastly, be sure that you have catalogued the remote node and databases correctly from the
    client (per the Quick Beginnings Guide).

    Larry Edelstein

    Mark D Powell wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Larry, any ideas what to check? The server side was set up by the
    > install and is a default install. I though from the instructions/log
    > that everything was ready to go but obviously I need to manually
    > configure something. The question is what?
    >
    > -- Mark --[/ref]

    Larry Guest

  6. #6

    Larry Edelstein <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > > Larry, any ideas what to check? The server side was set up by the
    > > install and is a default install. I though from the instructions/log
    > > that everything was ready to go but obviously I need to manually
    > > configure something. The question is what?
    > >
    > > -- Mark --[/ref][/ref]

    Larry, Thanks for replying again. Discoverer is considered a security
    risk so I have it set off. What I did was go into db2cc on the server
    and export a profile which I FTP'd to my Pc where I feed it into
    FirstSteps. This claimed to work and seemed to test fine so I deleted
    my existing entries, got out of FirstSteps and got back in. The tool
    seems to be accessing my remote example db fine. Looking at the
    displayed information via Control Center on my PC I really cannot tell
    what entries are different, but obviously something is.

    Thanks again. -- Mark D Powell --
    Mark Guest