Professional Web Applications Themes

square bullets - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Hi everyone, I need to create a bulleted list using a square style bullet but in the bullets and numbering dialogue it doesn't offer this style of bullet for the font I'm using. In fact even when I try other fonts I can't seem to find one that uses a square bullet. Can someone tell me how to create a bulleted list using a square bullet? Thanks for any help in advance....

  1. #1

    Default square bullets

    gher@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: square bullets

    You could just paste in a small frame filled with black...

    Zapf Dingbats has a square. In all cases, when you find the bullet/character you want (the glyphs palette is good for looking for them), you can save it in a glyph set. You'll more than likely have to alter the size for the character and the baseline shift, but maybe not.

    Good luck.
    DavidT Guest

  3. #3

    In the Bullets and Numbering dialog box, click Add. In the Add Bullets dialog box, choose Zapf Dingbats from the font menu. In the Glyph display, click the filled square box and click Add. Then click OK. Back in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box, select the square bullet you just added.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks very much for the tips!
    gher@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    In the Bullets and Numbering dialog box

    Crivens, yes, of course. There are so many features in CS2 that I haven't touched yet...
    DavidT Guest

  6. #6

    You got me there. And no entries for "crivens" in [url]www.dicionary.com[/url]. :-(
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Ooch aye, ain't ye've heird of the NacMacFeegle yet, laddie?

    Try googling.
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    This forum is for English speakers. Forums for other languages are down the hall on the right ;-)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Gerald, I ain't.

    Steve, sorry to have intruded. First time I have been told I'm not welcome in many years. Correction: second. The first was several years ago, and it was quite a lot more rude.
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I could have deleted the text of my message above, but chose better to explain that I have several reasons for not feeling in the mood for jokes tonight. If they are jokes.

    Pity that some people wanting to be witty forget that such things can happen to their targets/victims.
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Problem with using specific font character boxes is that their size-dependent. If I'm seeting a form in 9pt and want a 12 point box, for example, increasing the size of the box makes it look too "heavy" relative to the type. The stroke weight looks weird.

    I use DavieT's suggestion of drawing a specific size box and filling it, then cut&pasting as an inline graphic whose baseline can be adjusted. I keep a set of these "solid ballot boxes" or "square bullets" in an InD library file that I can draw from whenever I'm doing forms.

    When I need ballot boxes, I use the same thing but just stroke the box with 1/2pt weight rule. This way, my boxes are uniform throughout a form, weight-wise, regardless of their relative size. Makes for cleaner forms IMHO.
    peterpica Guest

  12. #12

    Claudio,

    Please accept my sincere apology if I offended you.

    What I meant was that I had no idea what Gerald was talking about. It was like a foreign language.

    As simple as that.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Don't worry, Steve. I was over sensitive last night (a little less today), and I understood your message was in response to my message #5 as I didn't see any relation with Gerald's. I found this strange coming from you, but reacted all the same. Thank you for your clarification; I think my confussion was understandable. Matter closed?
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Closed. I hope you're having a better day today!

    Steve
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Too early to say :-) Thanks anyway.
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    DavidT--

    So far as the square bullet (or any bullet): I wasn't aware that one could do a baseline shift if it was done via InDesign's built-in bullet feature. I know you can change the size, but I don't see anywhere how to change the baseline shift. I've tried via character styles, and the nesting, etc., but don't see how to change the baseline shift if using the built-in bullet feature.

    I have on occasion created a paragraph style that used a rule below and base-line shift that. By putting a right indent on it (to keep it square), and setting my left indent (and using the minus indent so it hangs) I get my square bullet. Add the character style and nest it, and I think it does what InDesign's built-in bulleted list doesn't do: Allow one to control baseline shift of the bullet.

    Or is there a way that InDesign lets you control the base-line shift for those built-in bullets?

    As an aside--the built-in numbered list is not so great. It works great if one goes from 1 through 9. It is useless for double-digits.

    We had an instructor come up here to train folks in the shop on InDesign (and the instructor is highly regarded). Main consensus was don't use the built-in feature of the bullets or numbered lists.

    doc
    doc_bud@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    We had an instructor come up here to train folks in the shop on InDesign
    (and the instructor is highly regarded). Main consensus was don't use
    the built-in feature of the bullets or numbered lists.

    I'd disagree with part of that statement. I use the bulleting feature all the time. But the numbering feature has some major limitations. The biggest is that if you insert another paragraph between numbered paragraphs, you have to manually restart the numbering.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Steve--

    Okay--granted about part of that statement. But--it was said to do it the old-fashioned way--key the bullets and tabs. The bulleted list feature works great, unless you have to change baseline shift of it due to a different point size.

    And--I do love the feature for other things. I use it for space break ornamens or part title /chapter openers.

    So far as the numbered list--the major limitation is the simple fact that it can't align for two digits.

    They are nice features, but they need to be improved.

  19. #19

    Steve Werner wrote:

    I'd disagree with part of that statement. I use the bulleting feature
    all the time....

    Ouch!

    I was their instructor, Steve. And I was the one who told them not to use the auto bullets.

    But that was only after doc bud said that he wanted a baseline shift on the bullets. Doc bud had asked if there was a way to apply a nested style to the bullet in the auto bullets.

    I said no. But do you know something different?

    We also agreed that since almost all their bullets are keyed with tabs, it made no sense to have to strip out the bullets.
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    No, I don't know of a way to baseliine shift with nested styles. But I never baseline shift my bullets either. It's just never seemed necessary. Also, I never key bullets with tabs. For me, the feature does work great.

    I think that it's a case of trying to generalize from a specific case. For the requirements that doc has, it makes sense to make them the "old fashioned" way.

    Yes, I'm hoping the bulleting and numbering features are enhanced in the next version of InDesign also.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast