Professional Web Applications Themes

SSH from inside network takes forever! - Mac Networking

I have a server that acts as a firewall/router running Mac OS X. Recently it started playing up (not sure why...), and now ssh'ing into it takes around 30 seconds for it to respond (produce a password prompt) from inside my local network. However if I ssh to an external computer (which responds in a timely manner) and then ssh back to the server from outside, it responds immediately. Any thoughts on why my server is turning it's back on me? :-) Dale -- [email]dstanbrospam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default SSH from inside network takes forever!

    I have a server that acts as a firewall/router running Mac OS X.
    Recently it started playing up (not sure why...), and now ssh'ing
    into it takes around 30 seconds for it to respond (produce a password
    prompt) from inside my local network.

    However if I ssh to an external computer (which responds in a timely
    manner) and then ssh back to the server from outside, it responds
    immediately.

    Any thoughts on why my server is turning it's back on me? :-)

    Dale

    --
    [email]dstanbrospam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au[/email]
    Dale Stanbrough Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SSH from inside network takes forever!

    In article <bg6n12$dcu$1pcls4.std.com>, [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    > Reverse DNS. The server is trying to resolve your host name. No doubt
    > it is querying internet servers and quite naturally coming up blank.
    >
    > You can either run a local DNS server or just add yourself to /etc/hosts.
    When i ssh to my server, i just use 192.168.0.1, so the DNS lookup
    shouldn't be happening...

    Dale

    --
    [email]dstanbrospam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au[/email]
    Dale Stanbrough Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: SSH from inside network takes forever!

    Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpambigpond.net.au> wrote:
    > I have a server that acts as a firewall/router running Mac OS X.
    > Recently it started playing up (not sure why...), and now ssh'ing
    > into it takes around 30 seconds for it to respond (produce a password
    > prompt) from inside my local network.
    >
    > However if I ssh to an external computer (which responds in a timely
    > manner) and then ssh back to the server from outside, it responds
    > immediately.
    >
    > Any thoughts on why my server is turning it's back on me? :-)
    network hardware/firmware upgrades?
    We had some switches upspeeded recently, and several old Macs
    with 10Mhz ether ports that couldn't negotiate a 10Mhz semiduplex
    link got turned into tarpits :-(
    Peter KERR Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: SSH from inside network takes forever!

    Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpambigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >In article <bg6n12$dcu$1pcls4.std.com>, [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    >> Reverse DNS. The server is trying to resolve your host name. No doubt
    >> it is querying internet servers and quite naturally coming up blank.
    >>
    >> You can either run a local DNS server or just add yourself to /etc/hosts.
    >When i ssh to my server, i just use 192.168.0.1, so the DNS lookup
    >shouldn't be happening...
    Yes, it should. It's a reverse DNS lookup: the server wants to know what
    YOUR host name is.

    Happens all the time. Probably in most networking FAQS; certainly
    is in mine:
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec4.html#telnetslow[/url]


    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: SSH from inside network takes forever!

    <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.comm:
    > Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpambigpond.net.au> wrote:
    > >I have a server that acts as a firewall/router running Mac OS X.
    > >Recently it started playing up (not sure why...), and now ssh'ing
    > >into it takes around 30 seconds for it to respond (produce a password
    > >prompt) from inside my local network.
    >
    > >However if I ssh to an external computer (which responds in a timely
    > >manner) and then ssh back to the server from outside, it responds
    > >immediately.
    >
    > >Any thoughts on why my server is turning it's back on me? :-)
    >
    > Reverse DNS. The server is trying to resolve your host name. No doubt
    > it is querying internet servers and quite naturally coming up blank.
    >
    > You can either run a local DNS server or just add yourself to /etc/hosts.
    OS X uses the machines directory of the local domain instead of /etc/hosts.

    You use NetInfo Manager to make the entry; by default it works on the
    local domain.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: SSH from inside network takes forever!

    In article <bgo9mf$mop$5mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>, Anno Siegel
    <anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
    > <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.comm:
    > > Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpambigpond.net.au> wrote:
    > > >I have a server that acts as a firewall/router running Mac OS X.
    > > >Recently it started playing up (not sure why...), and now ssh'ing
    > > >into it takes around 30 seconds for it to respond (produce a password
    > > >prompt) from inside my local network.
    > >
    > > >However if I ssh to an external computer (which responds in a timely
    > > >manner) and then ssh back to the server from outside, it responds
    > > >immediately.
    > >
    > > >Any thoughts on why my server is turning it's back on me? :-)
    > >
    > > Reverse DNS. The server is trying to resolve your host name. No doubt
    > > it is querying internet servers and quite naturally coming up blank.
    > >
    > > You can either run a local DNS server or just add yourself to /etc/hosts.
    >
    > OS X uses the machines directory of the local domain instead of /etc/hosts.
    However, it checks /etc/hosts before checking NetInfo, as of Jaguar.

    --
    Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA <http://www.jerrykindall.com/>

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: SSH from inside network takes forever!

    Jerry Kindall <usenet2jerrykindall.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.comm:
    > In article <bgo9mf$mop$5mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>, Anno Siegel
    > <anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
    >
    > > <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.comm:
    > > > Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpambigpond.net.au> wrote:
    > > > >I have a server that acts as a firewall/router running Mac OS X.
    > > > >Recently it started playing up (not sure why...), and now ssh'ing
    > > > >into it takes around 30 seconds for it to respond (produce a password
    > > > >prompt) from inside my local network.
    > > >
    > > > >However if I ssh to an external computer (which responds in a timely
    > > > >manner) and then ssh back to the server from outside, it responds
    > > > >immediately.
    > > >
    > > > >Any thoughts on why my server is turning it's back on me? :-)
    > > >
    > > > Reverse DNS. The server is trying to resolve your host name. No doubt
    > > > it is querying internet servers and quite naturally coming up blank.
    > > >
    > > > You can either run a local DNS server or just add yourself to /etc/hosts.
    > >
    > > OS X uses the machines directory of the local domain instead of /etc/hosts.
    >
    > However, it checks /etc/hosts before checking NetInfo, as of Jaguar.
    Aha. That is interesting. Would that go for passwd and group too?
    You don't have to answer that if you say where to read up on it instead :)

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Acrobat takes forever to save...
    By Loren Mahanay in forum Adobe Acrobat Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 25th, 12:10 PM
  2. opening folder takes forever
    By Norman in forum Windows Server
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 2nd, 11:21 PM
  3. 5.0.5 Takes forever to boot
    By Craig_Mashburn@adobeforums.com in forum Adobe Acrobat Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 11th, 01:52 PM
  4. Move to a frame takes forever
    By hankyu in forum Macromedia Director Basics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 29th, 10:03 PM
  5. This takes forever!!!!!!!!
    By Helixpoint in forum ASP.NET General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 29th, 06:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139