Professional Web Applications Themes

Stage 1 Boot failure - SCO

I get Stage 1 boot failure when I have installed Open Server 5.0.7 on a HP EVO N610c with an IBM Travelstar hard-disk, model 1C25N030ATCS05 I have undeerstood tha it could be a problem with the biosgeom. I wen to the tech. sepc. for the disk and tried to find out what the cyl, heads and sectors/track for this disk should be but I does not succed I am using the logical layout which says 16 heads, 16 383 cyls and 63 sectors/track But it does not help I already have Open Server 5.0.6 installed on a similiar disk, 1C25N020ATCS04 ...

  1. #1

    Default Stage 1 Boot failure

    I get Stage 1 boot failure when I have installed Open Server 5.0.7 on
    a HP EVO N610c with an IBM Travelstar hard-disk, model 1C25N030ATCS05

    I have undeerstood tha it could be a problem with the biosgeom. I wen
    to the tech. sepc. for the disk and tried to find out what the cyl,
    heads and sectors/track for this disk should be but I does not succed

    I am using the logical layout which says 16 heads, 16 383 cyls and 63
    sectors/track

    But it does not help

    I already have Open Server 5.0.6 installed on a similiar disk,
    1C25N020ATCS04 where I can compare the values of biosgeom in the
    bootphase. It says 1022, 240, 63

    One strange thing is that when I start the installation of 5.0.7 i get
    a message in the boot phase (from the CD)

    %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63

    Does anybody know how to get the correct values for the biosgeom
    command

    Thanks in advance

    Staffan Wikman
    Staffan Wikman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stage 1 Boot failure

    Staffan Wikman wrote:
    > I get Stage 1 boot failure when I have installed Open Server 5.0.7 on
    > a HP EVO N610c with an IBM Travelstar hard-disk, model 1C25N030ATCS05
    Searching for that model number on ibm.com, and on google, comes up with
    nothing. Please describe the disk -- what interface (probably IDE), how
    big?

    .... Ok, I think I found it:

    [url]http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr40gn.htm[/url]

    Part number is "IC25N030ATCS04"; that's the closest that seems to exist.

    So it's a 30GB IDE drive.
    > I have undeerstood tha it could be a problem with the biosgeom. I wen
    > to the tech. sepc. for the disk and tried to find out what the cyl,
    > heads and sectors/track for this disk should be but I does not succed
    >
    > I am using the logical layout which says 16 heads, 16 383 cyls and 63
    > sectors/track
    >
    > But it does not help
    What do you mean "using the logical layout"? If you're talking about a
    BIOS setup option, tell us what options it offers (and, if it shows
    them, what geometries they correspond to). If you're talking about a
    switch on the disk itself, tell us what choices are available.

    A geometry of 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 16383 cylinders describes a
    disk of about 8GB size, much smaller than your 30GB drive.
    > I already have Open Server 5.0.6 installed on a similiar disk,
    > 1C25N020ATCS04 where I can compare the values of biosgeom in the
    > bootphase. It says 1022, 240, 63
    That also describes about an 8GB disk.
    > One strange thing is that when I start the installation of 5.0.7 i get
    > a message in the boot phase (from the CD)
    >
    > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    That describes about a 20GB disk. Was this on the "N020" (20GB) or
    "N030" (30GB) disk? It's a sensible set of parameters for a 20GB disk.
    > Does anybody know how to get the correct values for the biosgeom
    > command
    Most likely, by changing something in BIOS setup. Most BIOSes offer
    choices that affect disk geometry. Sometimes they show you the
    resulting geometry, sometimes not. If you can see the geometries in
    BIOS setup, tell us what choices it offers there. If you only have
    opaquely named choices like "Compatible" vs. "Large", try each one.
    Make a change in BIOS setup, then boot the OSR507 CD, hit return at the
    boot prompt (no special bootstring), and write down the geometry
    reported by the "%disk" line. Post the list here and we should be able
    to tell you which is your best bet.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  3. #3

    Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote in message news:<20030811224352.GE24551sco.com>...
    > Staffan Wikman wrote:
    >
    > > I get Stage 1 boot failure when I have installed Open Server 5.0.7 on
    > > a HP EVO N610c with an IBM Travelstar hard-disk, model 1C25N030ATCS05
    >
    > Searching for that model number on ibm.com, and on google, comes up with
    > nothing. Please describe the disk -- what interface (probably IDE), how
    > big?
    >
    > ... Ok, I think I found it:
    >
    > [url]http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr40gn.htm[/url]
    >
    > Part number is "IC25N030ATCS04"; that's the closest that seems to exist.
    >
    > So it's a 30GB IDE drive.
    >
    > > I have undeerstood tha it could be a problem with the biosgeom. I wen
    > > to the tech. sepc. for the disk and tried to find out what the cyl,
    > > heads and sectors/track for this disk should be but I does not succed
    > >
    > > I am using the logical layout which says 16 heads, 16 383 cyls and 63
    > > sectors/track
    > >
    > > But it does not help
    >
    > What do you mean "using the logical layout"? If you're talking about a
    > BIOS setup option, tell us what options it offers (and, if it shows
    > them, what geometries they correspond to). If you're talking about a
    > switch on the disk itself, tell us what choices are available.
    >
    > A geometry of 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 16383 cylinders describes a
    > disk of about 8GB size, much smaller than your 30GB drive.
    >
    > > I already have Open Server 5.0.6 installed on a similiar disk,
    > > 1C25N020ATCS04 where I can compare the values of biosgeom in the
    > > bootphase. It says 1022, 240, 63
    >
    > That also describes about an 8GB disk.
    >
    > > One strange thing is that when I start the installation of 5.0.7 i get
    > > a message in the boot phase (from the CD)
    > >
    > > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    >
    > That describes about a 20GB disk. Was this on the "N020" (20GB) or
    > "N030" (30GB) disk? It's a sensible set of parameters for a 20GB disk.
    >
    > > Does anybody know how to get the correct values for the biosgeom
    > > command
    >
    > Most likely, by changing something in BIOS setup. Most BIOSes offer
    > choices that affect disk geometry. Sometimes they show you the
    > resulting geometry, sometimes not. If you can see the geometries in
    > BIOS setup, tell us what choices it offers there. If you only have
    > opaquely named choices like "Compatible" vs. "Large", try each one.
    > Make a change in BIOS setup, then boot the OSR507 CD, hit return at the
    > boot prompt (no special bootstring), and write down the geometry
    > reported by the "%disk" line. Post the list here and we should be able
    > to tell you which is your best bet.
    >
    > >Bela<

    I am sorry if I was unclear when I described the problem. This is the
    situation

    I am using a COMPAQ notebook, model EVO N610c with various buil-in
    hard-disks.

    Either an IBM Travelstar 30 GB disk
    model number "IC25N030ATCS04-0"
    On this disk I have previously installed SCO Open Server 5.0.6
    successfully
    When I boot this system up i get the following info regarding the disk

    ..
    ..
    ..
    name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=0 cyls=62016
    hds=15 secs=63
    ..
    ..

    I have also an IBM Travelstar 20 GB disk (at least it is printed 20.00
    GB on the disk)
    model number "IC25N020ATCS05-0"
    It is also printed (16383 CYL, 16HEADS, 63 SEC/T) on the disk
    If I try to install SCO Open Server 5.0.7 on this disk everythinh
    works fine al the way until I try to boot from the hard-disk, then I
    got the boot error message

    During the installation of teh new OS (5.0.7) from the CD I get teh
    following information about the disk

    %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63

    I supose 41344 should be used in some way

    There is no way to change disk geometry in the bios setup nore on the
    disk physically by jumpers or so

    Staffan
    Staffan Wikman Guest

  4. #4

    Staffan Wikman wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > I am using a COMPAQ notebook, model EVO N610c with various buil-in
    > hard-disks.
    >
    > Either an IBM Travelstar 30 GB disk
    > model number "IC25N030ATCS04-0"
    > On this disk I have previously installed SCO Open Server 5.0.6
    > successfully
    > When I boot this system up i get the following info regarding the disk
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=0 cyls=62016
    > hds=15 secs=63
    > .
    > .
    >
    > I have also an IBM Travelstar 20 GB disk (at least it is printed 20.00
    > GB on the disk)
    > model number "IC25N020ATCS05-0"
    > It is also printed (16383 CYL, 16HEADS, 63 SEC/T) on the disk
    Ignore the geometry printed on the drive. That is a standard set of
    numbers that is printed on all drives these days, and has nothing to do
    with the actual drives. It's just the largest set of parameters that
    are sure to work with ancient computers and OSes (and give you 8GB of
    space, no matter how big the drive is).
    > If I try to install SCO Open Server 5.0.7 on this disk everythinh
    > works fine al the way until I try to boot from the hard-disk, then I
    > got the boot error message
    >
    > During the installation of teh new OS (5.0.7) from the CD I get teh
    > following information about the disk
    >
    > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    >
    > I supose 41344 should be used in some way
    >
    > There is no way to change disk geometry in the bios setup nore on the
    > disk physically by jumpers or so
    Summarizing my guesses about what you're trying to say:

    - you previously had OSR506 installed on the 20GB drive

    - you've never tried 506 on the 30GB drive

    - with both 20GB and 30GB drives, OSR507 installs perfectly but will
    not reboot from the hard disk after ISL is complete

    If this is all correct, I can offer you two solutions. One is to do a
    complete reinstall, starting the install with:

    Boot
    : defbootstr biosgeom

    The other solution is a little more complicated to explain, but fixes
    your existing install. To do that, boot the OSR507 CD with:

    Boot
    : tools

    Tell it you want a shell prompt. The prompt reads "<Installation>", but
    I'm going to pretend it's a standard root prompt of "#". Once you have
    the prompt, take the CD out, then do this:

    # mount -r /dev/hd0root /mnt
    # chroot /mnt /bin/sh
    # cd /dev
    # echo 17a/h 10 | _fst -w rhd00 -
    # dparam rhd00 `dparam rhd00` <--- backquotes
    # reboot

    Be careful about '0' digits vs. 'o' letters. There are no uppercase 'O'
    letters. All slashes are '/' forward-slashes.

    It should reboot successfully from the hard disk.

    ### Note to future dejanews readers: the above is a patch that applies
    ### _only_ to OSR507, with or without OSR507MP1, _without_ OSR507UP1.
    ### OSR507UP1 patches the same problem in a different way and would be
    ### damaged (made unbootable) by this patch. Systems running earlier
    ### or later releases of OSR5, later updates of OSR507, or the soon-to-
    ### be-released >137GB IDE BTLD, should not use this patch. Quick test:
    ###
    ### echo 2/x | _fst /dev/rhd00 -
    ###
    ### if the output is "17a" then the patch applies.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  5. #5

    "Staffan Wikman" <stwikwmdata.com> wrote in message
    news:680e517b.0308112342.6e02d05posting.google.co m...
    > Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote in message
    > > Staffan Wikman wrote:
    > >
    > > > I get Stage 1 boot failure when I have installed Open Server 5.0.7 on
    > > > a HP EVO N610c with an IBM Travelstar hard-disk, model 1C25N030ATCS05
    > >
    > > Searching for that model number on ibm.com, and on google, comes up with
    > > nothing. Please describe the disk -- what interface (probably IDE), how
    > > big?
    > >
    > > ... Ok, I think I found it:
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr40gn.htm[/url]
    > >
    > > Part number is "IC25N030ATCS04"; that's the closest that seems to exist.
    > >
    > > So it's a 30GB IDE drive.
    > >
    > > > I have undeerstood tha it could be a problem with the biosgeom. I wen
    > > > to the tech. sepc. for the disk and tried to find out what the cyl,
    > > > heads and sectors/track for this disk should be but I does not succed
    > > >
    > > > I am using the logical layout which says 16 heads, 16 383 cyls and 63
    > > > sectors/track
    > > >
    > > > But it does not help
    > >
    > > What do you mean "using the logical layout"? If you're talking about a
    > > BIOS setup option, tell us what options it offers (and, if it shows
    > > them, what geometries they correspond to). If you're talking about a
    > > switch on the disk itself, tell us what choices are available.
    > >
    > > A geometry of 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 16383 cylinders describes a
    > > disk of about 8GB size, much smaller than your 30GB drive.
    > >
    > > > I already have Open Server 5.0.6 installed on a similiar disk,
    > > > 1C25N020ATCS04 where I can compare the values of biosgeom in the
    > > > bootphase. It says 1022, 240, 63
    > >
    > > That also describes about an 8GB disk.
    > >
    > > > One strange thing is that when I start the installation of 5.0.7 i get
    > > > a message in the boot phase (from the CD)
    > > >
    > > > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    > >
    > > That describes about a 20GB disk. Was this on the "N020" (20GB) or
    > > "N030" (30GB) disk? It's a sensible set of parameters for a 20GB disk.
    > >
    > > > Does anybody know how to get the correct values for the biosgeom
    > > > command

    [snip]

    > I am sorry if I was unclear when I described the problem. This is the
    > situation
    >
    > I am using a COMPAQ notebook, model EVO N610c with various buil-in
    > hard-disks.
    Is the BIOS setup to auto-detect the disk geometry each time
    the system boots?
    Are there any other OS's or partitions on these disks other than 5.0.7?
    Does the 5.0.7 occupy the entire disk? Does it start at the beginning of
    the disk in all cases?
    Have you tried zeroing the MBR and partition table area on the disk?

    > Either an IBM Travelstar 30 GB disk
    > model number "IC25N030ATCS04-0"
    > On this disk I have previously installed SCO Open Server 5.0.6
    > successfully
    > When I boot this system up i get the following info regarding the disk
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=0 cyls=62016
    > hds=15 secs=63
    > .
    > .
    >
    > I have also an IBM Travelstar 20 GB disk (at least it is printed 20.00
    > GB on the disk)
    > model number "IC25N020ATCS05-0"
    > It is also printed (16383 CYL, 16HEADS, 63 SEC/T) on the disk
    > If I try to install SCO Open Server 5.0.7 on this disk everythinh
    > works fine al the way until I try to boot from the hard-disk, then I
    > got the boot error message
    >
    > During the installation of teh new OS (5.0.7) from the CD I get teh
    > following information about the disk
    >
    > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    >
    > I supose 41344 should be used in some way
    >
    > There is no way to change disk geometry in the bios setup nore on the
    > disk physically by jumpers or so
    >
    > Staffan

    Bob Bailin Guest

  6. #6

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote in message news:<aR8_a.23161$Vx2.10757380newssvr28.news.prod igy.com>...
    > "Staffan Wikman" <stwikwmdata.com> wrote in message
    > news:680e517b.0308112342.6e02d05posting.google.co m...
    > > Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote in message

    > > > Searching for that model number on ibm.com, and on google, comes up with
    > > > nothing. Please describe the disk -- what interface (probably IDE), how
    > > > big?
    > > >
    > > > ... Ok, I think I found it:
    > > >
    > > > [url]http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr40gn.htm[/url]
    > > >
    > > > Part number is "IC25N030ATCS04"; that's the closest that seems to exist.
    > > >
    > > > So it's a 30GB IDE drive.

    > > > What do you mean "using the logical layout"? If you're talking about a
    > > > BIOS setup option, tell us what options it offers (and, if it shows
    > > > them, what geometries they correspond to). If you're talking about a
    > > > switch on the disk itself, tell us what choices are available.
    > > >
    > > > A geometry of 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 16383 cylinders describes a
    > > > disk of about 8GB size, much smaller than your 30GB drive.

    > > > That also describes about an 8GB disk.

    > > > That describes about a 20GB disk. Was this on the "N020" (20GB) or
    > > > "N030" (30GB) disk? It's a sensible set of parameters for a 20GB disk.

    > [snip]
    >

    > > I am sorry if I was unclear when I described the problem. This is the
    > > situation
    > >
    > > I am using a COMPAQ notebook, model EVO N610c with various buil-in
    > > hard-disks.
    >
    > Is the BIOS setup to auto-detect the disk geometry each time
    > the system boots?
    > Are there any other OS's or partitions on these disks other than 5.0.7?
    > Does the 5.0.7 occupy the entire disk? Does it start at the beginning of
    > the disk in all cases?
    > Have you tried zeroing the MBR and partition table area on the disk?

    The BIOS do an auto-detectiion each time teh system boots.
    NO other OS's or partitions on the disk
    The 5.0.7 occupies the whole disk.
    It does start at the beginning.
    I don't know how to zero the MBR or partition table, any idea ?
    It looks like a good idea

    I switch between the 20 GB and the 30 GB disks.
    It is possible to unplug it from the notebook. So either I run the
    notebook with a 20 GB 5.0.6 installed disk or I try to install 5.0.7
    on a 30 GB disk of the same brand but probabaly different geometry

    > > Either an IBM Travelstar 30 GB disk
    > > model number "IC25N030ATCS04-0"
    > > On this disk I have previously installed SCO Open Server 5.0.6
    > > successfully
    > > When I boot this system up i get the following info regarding the disk
    > >
    > > .
    > > .
    > > .
    > > name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=0 cyls=62016
    > > hds=15 secs=63
    > > .
    > > .
    > >
    > > I have also an IBM Travelstar 20 GB disk (at least it is printed 20.00
    > > GB on the disk)
    > > model number "IC25N020ATCS05-0"
    > > It is also printed (16383 CYL, 16HEADS, 63 SEC/T) on the disk
    > > If I try to install SCO Open Server 5.0.7 on this disk everythinh
    > > works fine al the way until I try to boot from the hard-disk, then I
    > > got the boot error message
    > >
    > > During the installation of teh new OS (5.0.7) from the CD I get teh
    > > following information about the disk
    > >
    > > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    > >
    > > I supose 41344 should be used in some way
    > >
    > > There is no way to change disk geometry in the bios setup nore on the
    > > disk physically by jumpers or so
    > >
    > > Staffan
    Staffan Wikman Guest

  7. #7

    "Staffan Wikman" <stwikwmdata.com> wrote in message
    news:680e517b.0308122319.667f2582posting.google.c om...
    > "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote in message
    news:<aR8_a.23161$Vx2.10757380newssvr28.news.prod igy.com>...
    > > "Staffan Wikman" <stwikwmdata.com> wrote in message
    > > news:680e517b.0308112342.6e02d05posting.google.co m...
    > > > Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote in message

    > > [snip]
    > >

    > > > I am sorry if I was unclear when I described the problem. This is the
    > > > situation
    > > >
    > > > I am using a COMPAQ notebook, model EVO N610c with various buil-in
    > > > hard-disks.
    > >
    > > Is the BIOS setup to auto-detect the disk geometry each time
    > > the system boots?
    > > Are there any other OS's or partitions on these disks other than 5.0.7?
    > > Does the 5.0.7 occupy the entire disk? Does it start at the beginning of
    > > the disk in all cases?
    > > Have you tried zeroing the MBR and partition table area on the disk?
    > >

    > The BIOS do an auto-detectiion each time teh system boots.
    > NO other OS's or partitions on the disk
    > The 5.0.7 occupies the whole disk.
    > It does start at the beginning.
    > I don't know how to zero the MBR or partition table, any idea ?
    > It looks like a good idea
    As Bela mentioned in an earlier post,
    Booting from the 5.0.7 CD, at the boot: prompt enter: tools
    Answer the initial installation questions, and start a shell.
    At the installation shell prompt, enter:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd00 bs=1k count=20

    which will write hex zeros to the first 20k of the hard disk,
    overwriting the master boot record and the partition table.
    Needless to say, the contents of the hard disk will be
    effectively lost.

    > I switch between the 20 GB and the 30 GB disks.
    > It is possible to unplug it from the notebook. So either I run the
    > notebook with a 20 GB 5.0.6 installed disk or I try to install 5.0.7
    > on a 30 GB disk of the same brand but probabaly different geometry
    >

    > > > Either an IBM Travelstar 30 GB disk
    > > > model number "IC25N030ATCS04-0"
    > > > On this disk I have previously installed SCO Open Server 5.0.6
    > > > successfully
    > > > When I boot this system up i get the following info regarding the disk
    > > >
    > > > .
    > > > .
    > > > .
    > > > name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=0 cyls=62016
    > > > hds=15 secs=63
    > > > .
    > > > .
    > > >
    > > > I have also an IBM Travelstar 20 GB disk (at least it is printed 20.00
    > > > GB on the disk)
    > > > model number "IC25N020ATCS05-0"
    > > > It is also printed (16383 CYL, 16HEADS, 63 SEC/T) on the disk
    > > > If I try to install SCO Open Server 5.0.7 on this disk everythinh
    > > > works fine al the way until I try to boot from the hard-disk, then I
    > > > got the boot error message
    > > >
    > > > During the installation of teh new OS (5.0.7) from the CD I get teh
    > > > following information about the disk
    > > >
    > > > %disk ............... cyls=41344 hds=15 secs=63
    > > >
    > > > I supose 41344 should be used in some way
    > > >
    > > > There is no way to change disk geometry in the bios setup nore on the
    > > > disk physically by jumpers or so
    > > >
    > > > Staffan

    Bob Bailin Guest

  8. #8

    Staffan Wikman wrote:
    > The BIOS do an auto-detectiion each time teh system boots.
    > NO other OS's or partitions on the disk
    > The 5.0.7 occupies the whole disk.
    > It does start at the beginning.
    > I don't know how to zero the MBR or partition table, any idea ?
    > It looks like a good idea
    >

    > I switch between the 20 GB and the 30 GB disks.
    > It is possible to unplug it from the notebook. So either I run the
    > notebook with a 20 GB 5.0.6 installed disk or I try to install 5.0.7
    > on a 30 GB disk of the same brand but probabaly different geometry
    Did you not see my post offering you two ways to get past this problem
    (do a full install with "defbootstr biosgeom", or use "tools" to apply a
    patch to the existing install)? See:

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030812084145.GH24551sco.com[/url]
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest