Professional Web Applications Themes

Start Menu - Windows XP/2000/ME

After setting up a new hard drive with XP, I loaded lots of software during several sessions. Upon attempting to organize the start menu, I discovered that half of the programs did not show up, even though they have been installed. When switching to the "classic" view, some of them are there, but not all of them. How do I get all of my programs to show up in the same start menu? How many menus are there, anyway? Thanks, Bob...

  1. #1

    Default Start Menu

    After setting up a new hard drive with XP, I loaded lots
    of software during several sessions. Upon attempting to
    organize the start menu, I discovered that half of the
    programs did not show up, even though they have been
    installed. When switching to the "classic" view, some of
    them are there, but not all of them.

    How do I get all of my programs to show up in the same
    start menu? How many menus are there, anyway?

    Thanks,

    Bob
    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Start Menu

    Rearranging the Start Menu

    Right click Start button

    Select Explore and/or Explore All Users.

    Then open the Programs folder.

    Create new subfolders then rearrange shortcuts to the user start menu you
    want.

    "Agustin E. Beci" <> wrote in message
    > Start Menu Program Shortcut Locations:
    >
    > drive:\Doents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\
    > drive:\Doents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\
    > drive:\Doents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
    > drive:\Doents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\
    >
    > For older software versions:
    > drive:\Windows\Start Menu
    > drive:\Windows\Profiles\USERNAME\Start Menu
    >
    > In XP view:
    > The programs listed on the left, outside the All Programs menu are
    recently
    > used program shortcuts, or shortcuts pined to the Start Menu.
    >
    > All the shortcuts to programs come in an *.lnk file (link)
    > Run a search to locate specifics.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ______________
    > Agustin E. Beci
    > "Gotta have heart!"
    >

    > "Robert" <mountaincatbob> wrote in message
    > > After setting up a new hard drive with XP, I loaded lots
    > > of software during several sessions. Upon attempting to
    > > organize the start menu, I discovered that half of the
    > > programs did not show up, even though they have been
    > > installed. When switching to the "classic" view, some of
    > > them are there, but not all of them.
    > >
    > > How do I get all of my programs to show up in the same
    > > start menu? How many menus are there, anyway?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bob

    Taurarian Guest

  3. #3

    "Robert" <mountaincatbob> wrote:
    >After setting up a new hard drive with XP, I loaded lots
    >of software during several sessions. Upon attempting to
    >organize the start menu, I discovered that half of the
    >programs did not show up, even though they have been
    >installed. When switching to the "classic" view, some of
    >them are there, but not all of them.
    >
    >How do I get all of my programs to show up in the same
    >start menu? How many menus are there, anyway?
    You might check to see whether the option for a personalized menu has
    been selected (only displays programs currently used). Right-click the
    Start button, Properties, Customize.

    Maureen Goldman Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:34:11 -0700, "Robert" <mountaincatbob>
    wrote:
    >After setting up a new hard drive with XP, I loaded lots
    >of software during several sessions. Upon attempting to
    >organize the start menu, I discovered that half of the
    >programs did not show up, even though they have been
    >installed. When switching to the "classic" view, some of
    >them are there, but not all of them.
    >
    >How do I get all of my programs to show up in the same
    >start menu? How many menus are there, anyway?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bob
    In addition to what others have suggested, there is a "Scroll Programs"
    option in the Taskbar/Start Menu properties that you may want to take a
    look at. If enabled, it shows a single column of program names with a
    scroll arrow at the bottom (and sometimes top) of the list. Turn this
    off if you prefer multiple columns displayed in their entirety.

    Sharon F
    MS MVP [Shell/User]
    Sharon F Guest

  5. #5

    how can i move my start menu down to the bottem of my
    screen.
    tony Guest

  6. #6

    Hello Tony,

    Assuming it's not locked, just click on it and drag it down to the bottom. If it is locked, right-click on it and select the "Lock Taskbar" to un-luck it, then click and drag it down.

    Regards,
    --
    Brian
    Microsoft MVP - DTS
    "tony" <hmtdestefanoaol> wrote in message news:04f501c34759$6714be60$a401280aphx.gbl...
    > how can i move my start menu down to the bottem of my
    > screen.
    Brian K. Pearcy Guest

  7. #7

    Hi there

    How do you put the log off button above the shut down
    button on the start menu when windows classic style is put
    on.

    Thanks
    Dbn_Boy Guest

  8. #8

    Right click the taskbar and click properties - Start Menu
    tab - Customize button - check the box for Display Log
    Off - OK - OK

    Chris Guest

  9. #9

    Help, for some reason my picture no longer appears on start menu. It is still there when I go to user accounts. Have I ticked something that I shouldn't have?
    Maeve Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:56:17 +1000, "Maeve"
    <maviscREMOVECAPSozemail.com.au> wrote:
    >Help, for some reason my picture no longer appears on start menu. It is still there when I go to user accounts. Have I ticked something that I shouldn't have?
    Which style of start menu are you using? The picture is used with the XP
    style start menu and only if the system is not a member of a domain.

    Sharon F
    MS MVP [Shell/User]
    Sharon F Guest

  11. #11

    Do a system restore, back to when it was there.

    JC Carter Guest

  12. #12

    Im using windows xp home ed. I have several programs
    pinned to the start menu , I want to un pin them so I can
    start them as I need them BUT i cannot find out how too
    can anyone help me?
    Joe Guest

  13. #13

    "Joe" <nb.ca> wrote in message

    Right click on the offending item and choose "Remove from this list"

    db

    db Guest