I'm not sure if this is your problem but worth a look:-
If no shortcut menu appears and the menu flashes, the Enable Dragging And
Dropping check box has been cleared. This option enables shortcut menus and
the drag-and-drop capability.

To enable the option, right-click the Start button, choose Properties, and
then click Customize. If you're using the default Start menu, click the
Advanced tab and then, in the Start Menu Items box, select Enable Dragging
And Dropping.
(If you're using the classic Start menu, the option appears in the Advanced
Start Menu Options box in the Customize Classic Start Menu dialog box.)