Professional Web Applications Themes

Still bad driver for JDBC / ODBC - Coldfusion Database Access

Hello Since Oct 05 there is version 3.5 available in the package macromedia_drivers.jar and still we got the error 'no more data available to read'. So we used the ODBC Socket driver instead. Now a known issue with CF7 and ntext fields happens: ntext fields are returned as empty strings (Bug 57696 with low priority). What can we do now? In a way we cant believe, that there are so profound problems with a driver and the company behind can say 'low priority'. CF is based on that and its a MUST to fix it immediately. Otherwhise Adobe tells us ...

  1. #1

    Default Still bad driver for JDBC / ODBC

    Hello

    Since Oct 05 there is version 3.5 available in the package
    macromedia_drivers.jar and still we got the error 'no more data available to
    read'. So we used the ODBC Socket driver instead. Now a known issue with CF7
    and ntext fields happens: ntext fields are returned as empty strings (Bug 57696
    with low priority). What can we do now?

    In a way we cant believe, that there are so profound problems with a driver
    and the company behind can say 'low priority'.
    CF is based on that and its a MUST to fix it immediately. Otherwhise Adobe
    tells us to trash CF and move to another technology.

    And just to clarify: We will NOT rewrite our code, this is a serious problem
    on a lower layer!

    We are realy hopping that Adobe comes out with a new JDBC driver for MS SQL
    Server 2000 (SP4) or a fix for the ODBC Socket driver or a workaround that
    helps us to proceed with this product.

    Thanks, Jan

    JanM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Still bad driver for JDBC / ODBC

    > We are realy hopping that Adobe comes out with a new JDBC driver for MS SQL

    that's not adobe's driver. it's from datadirect. have you tried jTDS?
    [url]http://jtds.sourceforge.net/[/url]
    PaulH *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Right that the driver isn't from Adobe but its there responsability.
    There are many classes in the macromedia_drivers.jar, so I don't know which to
    exchange from the jtds-1.2.jar. Is it only the driver.class?

    Thanks, Jan

    JanM Guest

  4. #4

    JanM wrote:
    > Right that the driver isn't from Adobe but its there responsability.
    you need to understand that adobe depends on the 3rd party to handle the
    drivers. it's not like they can snap their fingers & get stuff done magically.
    > There are many classes in the macromedia_drivers.jar, so I don't know which to
    > exchange from the jtds-1.2.jar. Is it only the driver.class?
    no need to do anything to that jar. add the jTDS jar file to cf's classpath (the
    lib dir under the cfinstall is usually the recommended dir to place 3rd party
    jars). add the driver as "other" in cfadmin, follow the directions on the jTDS site.
    PaulH *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Tried the jTDS Driver but on our DB we got the error:
    Connection verification failed for data source: testdbjtds
    java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: DB server closed connection.
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: DB server closed
    connection

    If I try with the db from our provider (SQL Server 2000 SP3, we have SP4) it
    works.
    Any idea what that can be?

    JanM Guest

  6. #6

    JanM wrote:
    > Tried the jTDS Driver but on our DB we got the error:
    > Connection verification failed for data source: testdbjtds
    > java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: DB server closed connection.
    > The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: DB server closed
    > connection
    >
    > If I try with the db from our provider (SQL Server 2000 SP3, we have SP4) it
    > works.
    > Any idea what that can be?
    not off-hand. we use sp4 & it works fine. starting simple, got the
    user/password/db name/server ok? connecting w/sql or windows authentication?

    PaulH *TMM* Guest

  7. #7

    paul, Macromedia/Adobe needs to SPEND SOME MONEY and have these fixed. damn!
    Working (configuring) CF has been a hassle since the first MX release. Not
    only are the drivers buggy but the doentation on this site is a disgrace.

    Other companies that incorporate 3-rd party components have business
    relationships with that developer and don't simple sit passively by releasing
    junk. They PAY them to make timely corrections.

    This is one of the few problems that can be fixed by "throwing some money at
    it"

    schep Guest

  8. #8

    schep wrote:
    > paul, Macromedia/Adobe needs to SPEND SOME MONEY and have these fixed. damn!
    > Working (configuring) CF has been a hassle since the first MX release. Not
    > only are the drivers buggy but the doentation on this site is a disgrace.
    i'm sorry you feel that way but i almost never have any problems configuring cf
    or the db drivers (or actual problems w/the db drivers that come w/cf, though i
    do like the speed of jTDS). installation support is, i think, still free. have
    you tried that or posting your install/config problems here? for your other
    problems, have you opened any support issues w/adobe? if it's really a bug they
    won't charge you.

    PaulH *TMM* Guest