Professional Web Applications Themes

Still no luck with WebDAV - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago but still have not had a resolution. I'm going to have to give up on Contribute soon but I hate to because other than this nasty connection issue I really like the product! The problem I'm having is when creating a new connection in Contribute, if I choose WebDAV, I am always told: Your WebDAV username or password is incorrect. Please check your connection information or contact your administrator. I am positive my username and password and URL are all three correct. I can connect fine using IE or by adding ...

  1. #1

    Default Still no luck with WebDAV

    I posted about this a couple of weeks ago but still have not had a resolution.
    I'm going to have to give up on Contribute soon but I hate to because other
    than this nasty connection issue I really like the product!

    The problem I'm having is when creating a new connection in Contribute, if I
    choose WebDAV, I am always told:
    Your WebDAV username or password is incorrect. Please check your connection
    information or contact your administrator.
    I am positive my username and password and URL are all three correct. I can
    connect fine using IE or by adding a "Network Place" in Windows Explorer.

    The URL I'm using is [url]http://www.myserver.com:81/[/url]. Http, not https, because
    the server does not support SSL.

    For the username I've tried just using the straight Username, as well as
    Servername\Username. Same results either way.

    The server is IIS6. I set the server up myself and I'm new to WebDAV so it's
    conceivable something is misconfigured, except of course that I have no trouble
    connecting with IE or Windows Explorer. I would love it if someone could at
    least help me troubleshoot, tell me what to look for in the logs perhaps.

    Speaking of logs, when I enter the info in Contribute's Connection Wizard, the
    IIS log shows me these two lines. Are they helpful to figure out what's
    happening?
    #Fields: date time s-sitename s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port
    cs-username c-ip cs(User-Agent) cs-host sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status
    sc-bytes cs-bytes time-taken
    2005-07-18 18:30:05 W3SVC1907138506 ***.***.***.*** OPTIONS / - 81 -
    ***.***.***.*** Contribute/3.0 [url]www.hekman.net:81[/url] 401 2 5 1872 210 0
    2005-07-18 18:30:05 W3SVC1907138506 ***.***.***.*** OPTIONS / - 81 -
    ***.***.***.*** Contribute/3.0 [url]www.hekman.net:81[/url] 401 2 2148074254 1872 159 15

    That IIS virtual web site is configured to disallow anonymous access, use
    Integrated Windows Authentication, and allow Read/Write/Directory Browsing.
    The user I'm logging in as has Full Control on the site's root directory. Port
    81 is open on the firewall.

    Is anybody using WebDAV successfully?

    Nate Hekman

    heknat Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Still no luck with WebDAV

    I too gave up on a WebDAV connection to IIS 6. I got the connection to work,
    but could not edit existing files, could only create new ones. Support told me
    that it is my WebDAV on the server, yet I can use IE's implementation of WebDAV
    via the Explorer, point to a WebDAV folder on the server using the Open as
    Folder option checked and every works fine.

    Macromedia's support for WebDAV connectivity is virtually non-existent as
    there are several posted problems/questions regarding this and nobody has any
    clue from Macromedia...or at least their not responding with answers that I can
    find.

    There needs to be a 1-2-3 DETAILED set of setup instructions for connecting to
    WebDAV via Contribute, yet they don't have squat. The few blurbs that are out
    there under "Setting Up Connections" in the PDF are woefully short of anything
    useful.

    Very dissappointing...

    ResRB Guest

  3. #3

    We tested against several WebDAV implementations, and continue to use many
    WebDAV servers at work. I also connect to my .Mac site via WebDAV. Can you
    connect another third party client to your IIS server? Is there some way we
    can confirm that it is Contribute or IIS?

    deeje Guest

  4. #4

    Aha! A glimmer of hope!

    In trying to answer your questions, I solved the problem. I decided to try a
    non-Microsoft client so I installed BitKinex. BitKinex has a great logging
    feature which quickly showed me the problem. In IIS, I had enabled Integrated
    Windows authentication only. Now I've added Basic authentication, and BitKinex
    and Contribute both are able to connect.

    I'm a bit disappointed because I thought WebDAV's advantage over ftp was
    encrypted authentication, whereas Basic apparently sends the password (or a
    hash?) plaintext. Oh well, perhaps I'll have to figure out SSL, which I was
    trying to avoid.

    Nate

    heknat Guest