Professional Web Applications Themes

Stop Flash Player Upgrade - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi All, I would like to know how to stop Flash Player 7 from trying to auto-update itself. I have just got a pop up message advising that a new update is available (v8 i think)...when I click on Settings it takes me to the online Settings Manager in order to manage the update settings and other. We have deployed Flash 7 to over 1500+ machines, our users are admins or power users so they do not have to rights to install software...beside that we control what software is on their desktop so they will only get new versions of ...

  1. #1

    Default Stop Flash Player Upgrade

    Hi All,

    I would like to know how to stop Flash Player 7 from trying to auto-update
    itself. I have just got a pop up message advising that a new update is
    available (v8 i think)...when I click on Settings it takes me to the online
    Settings Manager in order to manage the update settings and other.

    We have deployed Flash 7 to over 1500+ machines, our users are admins or power
    users so they do not have to rights to install software...beside that we
    control what software is on their desktop so they will only get new versions of
    software when we approve it...not before...

    So I would like to know if there is away to disable automatic update for Flsah
    7 so users do not see this.

    TIA

    Nick E

    Nick E Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stop Flash Player Upgrade

    We deployed it on 5000+machines and our users are not admins. This is
    generating a lot of calls in our enterprise helpdesk.
    We need to stop this update or macromedia has to pay for the cost as result of
    this not wanted update.
    I would like to set the date, when we update our programs:|

    hip2be Guest

  3. #3

    The following PDF on our website can help with this issue.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_8_security.pd[/url]

    Page 21 is where the actually config file information starts.

    ---
    Regards,

    Jason Wylie
    Senior Support Engineer
    Macromedia Technical Support
    Flash Player, Flash, Central

    -- Please limit replies to newsgroup only, for the benefit of the community --

    _jasonWylie Guest

  4. #4

    Thanx _jasonWylie,
    but we are talking about the Flash Player 7. We need to stop the Player from Updating.
    Is there a doentation?
    hip2be Guest

  5. #5

    Hi _jasonWylie,

    there is no mms.cfg file with Flash Player 7 so I do I set the equivalent of

    AutoUpdateDisable=1

    on Flash Player 7 ? I need to stop this AutoUpdate mechanism!!!

    Thx

    Nick

    Nick E Guest

  6. #6

    I think it's either one of these reg keys:
    HKLM\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\UiControl
    PingEnabled=n

    OR
    HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\UiControl
    PingEnabled=n

    I read that the reg key Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10
    Nextpingdate="Somedate"

    Establishes when the system will ping the Macromedia server to check for
    updates. It doesn't say HKCU or HKLM. That's why it's iffy.

    I'm testing right now for those 2 keys I mentioned above. I will let you know
    if it works out. Please do that same. :)

    Thanks!

    Sniffy8 Guest

  7. #7

    I have tested those two keys, not their business.

    Now I guess there are two files have relationship with the auto updat:

    1.C:\Doents and Settings\<user Id or name>\Application
    Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\sett ings.sol

    This file will be refreshed everytime we change the settings through
    macromedia's website control pannel.
    So if we make a standard settings.sol file and send it to every user, maybe
    the auto update will not pop up.

    2.C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\GetFlash.exe
    I find everytime the auto update pop up, there is a GetFlash.exe process begin
    running--we can see this from task manager. If we click "remind me later", the
    process will disappear.
    And even if we choose "Not notify me" through website, if we double cilck
    GetFlash.exe, the auto update will also pop up.
    So I guess if we delete this file,what will happen?

    Maybe we can find a solution based on this two files:)
    We are still working on it.

    nikixie Guest

  8. #8

    Hi All,

    Thx for your replies.

    Yeh I was looking at the GetFlash.exe file as was the only thing I could think
    of that could be doing the update....the Flash install is pretty small and
    doesnt dump a lot on the system.

    The actual file name description for getflash.exe is Macromedia Flash Player
    Updater 7.0 r19 which kinda gives it away. I have deleted both getflash.exe and
    GetFlash.exe.manifest from my pc the other day and I have yet to see the update
    player prompt. Flash functionality remain OK.

    I logged with this Macromedia UK on Friday so I should be getting a response
    today (48hrs) so as soon as I know I will post the reply...if I get one that is
    ;-)

    Nick E

    Nick E Guest

  9. #9

    Yeah, the registry keys were "sporadic". It didn't pop up again on one and
    popped up on the other. Weird... I hope that just deleting the file(s) will
    take care of it. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I'll keep checking...

    Sniffy8 Guest

  10. #10

    Hello All,

    The PDF doent refered by _jasonWylie talks of a MMS.CFG file
    Where can I get that file? It's not installed with Flash Player 8 at all ??

    THANKS.
    bob
    bobburton Guest

  11. #11

    You have to create it.

    [url]http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/15/flex_docs_en/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?href=00000941.htm[/url]
    REBTX Guest

  12. #12

    Hi All,

    Please see reply from Macromedia

    With regards to your concern, you can disable auto update by doing the
    following steps:

    1) Open a Text Editing Tool (NotePad, WordPad, SimpleText, etc).

    2) Create a file named mms.cfg In this file you simply need to add a single
    set of value pairs per line like the following:

    AutoUpdateDisable=1

    In the above Code the value of 1 Disables Auto-Update where as 0 will allow
    auto-update.

    3)Save this file in system32 directory

    They also sent me a link but it was irrelavent as also applied to Flash Player
    8 not 7. I have sinced emailed for confirmation of this but have yet to recieve
    a reply.

    I was about to try the mms.cfg file on 7 (still deleting the 2 files i mention
    above seems to do the trick) but then....

    MPSB05-07 Flash Player 7 Improper Memory Access Vulnerability

    Macromedia recomend upgrading to Flash 8 to overcome this
    vulnerability......<sigh> what can you do...so I am now creating a installer
    script to deploy to all out machines...

    I am about to create a new topic...but thought might be worth mentioning
    here..I have download the installer for Flash 8, but on un-install you recieve
    an error...flash 8 ocx falied to un-register.

    Anyone seen this or can point me to download please.

    Thx

    Nick

    Nick E Guest

  13. #13

    All,

    reply from Macromedia...

    Hello Nick,

    Your case has been escalated to me. With regard to your issue, yes, it is also
    applicable to Flash Player 7.

    Also, you can delete the "getflash.exe" file.

    We hope that you find the above information useful. Should you have further
    concern, please feel free to contact us again.

    Anyway deploying Flash 8 as we speak with the mms.cfg file ;-)

    Thanks all!

    Nick E Guest

  14. #14

    Smile Re: Stop Flash Player Upgrade

    tip
    control+alt+del =======> Processes

    on the Description you will see Adobe Flash Player Installer/Unstaller

    click on it and End Process

    thats it .
    any one need me for any problem @t
    arabic.joker@gmai@com