Professional Web Applications Themes

Stopping Attachments in Eudora - Mac Applications & Software

I am receiving an average of 5 copies of the MS Update Virus daily. It takes time to download each one. Is there a way in Eudora to stop the downloading of attachments and get them only if needed. I tried the method of limiting file size but it seems to ignore attachment size. -- Dennis M. Marks Do not reply with e-mail to yahoo. I do not monitor mailbox. It is for collecting spam. You can use the following address (rot 13) arg -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the ...

  1. #1

    Default Stopping Attachments in Eudora

    --
    Dennis M. Marks
    Do not reply with e-mail to yahoo. I do not monitor mailbox. It is for
    collecting spam.
    You can use the following address (rot 13) arg

    Dennis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stopping Attachments in Eudora

    Dennis M. Marks <com> wrote:

    Limiting file size should include attachments, otherwise it would be a
    totally useless feature. Have you ever heard of a message without
    attachment that is still more than a few kilobytes? Perhaps you've set
    the limit too high...

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

  3. #3

    In article <081020030727105729%com>,
    "Dennis M. Marks" <com> wrote:

    Are you sure it's downloading the attachments? When a message exceeds
    the size limit, Eudora will download just the first part of it, enough
    for you to decide whether you want to download the whole message, and
    should add a statement that the message is incomplete.

    Does your mail server support IMAP? If it does, tell Eudora to use IMAP
    and you'll get some other options for downloading new messages: "Minimal
    headers only" and "Full message except attachments over ___ K".
    Wayne Guest

  4. #4

    Wayne C. Morris <is.invalid> wrote:

    As an aside, when you set the email reader up like this what happens to
    the larger files you choose not to download? Are they still removed from
    the host server? Thanks.

    bill
    williamd Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g2ih70.1r5wyjc1mjtjwgN%com>,
    com (williamd) wrote:

    > As an aside, when you set the email reader up like this what happens to
    > the larger files you choose not to download? Are they still removed from
    > the host server? Thanks.[/ref]

    They stay on the server until you delete them.
    Wayne Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    > Are you sure it's downloading the attachments? When a message exceeds
    > the size limit, Eudora will download just the first part of it, enough
    > for you to decide whether you want to download the whole message, and
    > should add a statement that the message is incomplete.[/ref]

    Go to Eudora Preferences and check under Mailbox Display. Under
    Columns, make sure that you have Server checked. When Eudora only
    downloads a part of the message, it will show that it is still on the
    server. If you highlight the message and click-hold over the icon that
    shows in the server column, you will get the choices of what to do, eg,
    Delete from server or Fetch and Delete from server.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  7. #7

    Sorry I was wrong. It doesn't return attachments when I limit size.

    I have a further question. When I leave part of a message on the server
    I am supposed to mark the message to be deleted and then check the mail
    again to actually delete. What would happen if I forget to delete it
    and delete the transferred message? Would it be passed again when I
    request mail again?

  8. #8

    In article <081020030727105729%com>,
    "Dennis M. Marks" <com> wrote:

    Be glad your experience wasn't like mine. At the peak, I was getting
    several thousand of those a day. They're down to about 10 per hour now.

    At first, I left Eudora 6 running 24/7, set to download e-mail every 5
    minutes so I could keep my server account under the 10 MB limit and not
    lose vaild e-mail. If I hadn't had broadband, I wouldn't have been able
    to keep up with it. The Eudora 6 (paid) spam filter was pretty good at
    diverting most of the bad messages to a Junk folder, where I could
    delete them.

    After a couple of days, I found a shareware program called POPmonitor.
    It can use a wide range of criteria to filter messages on the server and
    delete them from there without ever downloading the complete messages or
    attachments to my Mac. The filter that catches most of these virus
    messages just looks for attachments that have Windows executable
    filename extensions.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  9. #9

    com (williamd) wrote:

    > As an aside, when you set the email reader up like this what happens to
    > the larger files you choose not to download? Are they still removed from
    > the host server? Thanks.[/ref]

    It's not automatic. They stay on the server, but you can tell Eudora to
    "Delete from server when emptied from trash". Next mail check after you
    empty Eudora's trash, they get deleted.

    Isaac
    Isaac Guest

  10. #10

    Isaac Wingfield <com> wrote:

    Or you can do it manually for every message - or all messages that are
    selected in the mailbox-display:

    Klick into the column with the little wired envelope (the "server status
    column") - a little pop up window appears, that lets you choose to
    delete/fetch etc. the part of the message that's still on the server. To
    show, that it will be deleted from the server the next time a server
    contact is established, a little trashcan will show up there...

    Torge.

    --
    torge anders - diplombastler/tinkering with a diploma
    braunschweig - germany

  11. #11

    In article <081020032055070899%com>,
    "Dennis M. Marks" <com> wrote:

    Eudora will only download the new messages.

    As for what happens to the messages that Eudora doesn't download, there
    are a couple of related options:

    "Leave on server for __ days": Normally, Eudora deletes your new mail
    from the server as soon as it's downloaded, except for messages that
    were only partially downloaded. When you set this option, it waits __
    days before deleting the messages from the server.

    "Delete from server when emptied from trash": When this option is set,
    if you delete messages from your Eudora mailboxes, and then empty
    Eudora's trash, it'll also delete them from the server. (Eudora empties
    its trash when you quit, but there's an option to turn this off, and
    there's a menu command to empty the trash.)
    Wayne Guest