Professional Web Applications Themes

stopping downloads - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I notice that some aborted downloads ( usually immense PDF files) from 'Linux Gazette' and others continue to download after the stop button is hit and the browser closed. (Redhat 9 and K desktop) Can this be terminated without dropping the dial up connection? -- faeychild....

  1. #1

    Default stopping downloads

    --
    faeychild.
    faeychild Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: stopping downloads

    "faeychild" <nykyslephbs.com> wrote in message

    What program are you using to download ?

    which program 'keeps downloading' ?
    If you kill that program, the download will stop.

    If you are using squid , it will continue to download like that.. maybe you
    can login to the squid administration web server and stop it there.

    If its something else, like the browsers download manager, then you need to
    open the window and click 'stop'.

    If you really had to do this indirectly, you could just firewall off the ip
    address it is connected to , temporarily.

    Leon. Guest

  3. #3

    Leon. wrote:

    > What program are you using to download ?
    >
    > which program 'keeps downloading' ?
    > If you kill that program, the download will stop.[/ref]

    It was a PDF file from 'Linux Gazette' something about
    microsoft and linux.
    Thinking it was just an article,I clicked to download
    then noticed it was pdf (big as usual) and clicked the stop
    button on Konqueror.
    It kept downloading, I shutdown the browser, it still
    came down. So I dropped the connection.
    Logging off a bit extreme, but I saw nothing obvious in "top"
    that I could have killed.

    --
    faeychild.
    faeychild Guest

  4. #4

    faeychild a écrit:

    >> What program are you using to download ?
    >>
    >> which program 'keeps downloading' ?
    >> If you kill that program, the download will stop.[/ref]
    >
    > It was a PDF file from 'Linux Gazette' something about
    > microsoft and linux.
    > Thinking it was just an article,I clicked to download
    > then noticed it was pdf (big as usual) and clicked the stop
    > button on Konqueror.
    > It kept downloading, I shutdown the browser, it still
    > came down. So I dropped the connection.
    > Logging off a bit extreme, but I saw nothing obvious in "top"
    > that I could have killed.
    >
    >[/ref]

    I do know a way to avoid the problem in the future.

    You should install kget, a dowload manager that co-operates with konqueror.

    Using kget, you can stop a download, pause it and resume later, slow it down
    to keep some bandwith for other purposes, queue downloads, control where
    you want the dowloaded files to go according to mime types, etc...

    A very nice tool and easy to use and configure.

    I used it to download MDK9.2 isos on a 56k modem line.

    nt (aka Downloader for X) works very well too.

    If they are not on your distribution disk, you will find them at
    rpmfind.net.

    Bonne chance!
    --
    Ta mere est tellement grosse que pour la photographier il faut un satellite.

    Marc Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:56:57 GMT, faeychild <nykysleph> wrote:

    >> What program are you using to download ?
    >>
    >> which program 'keeps downloading' ?
    >> If you kill that program, the download will stop.[/ref]
    >
    > It was a PDF file from 'Linux Gazette' something about
    > microsoft and linux.
    > Thinking it was just an article,I clicked to download
    > then noticed it was pdf (big as usual) and clicked the stop
    > button on Konqueror.
    > It kept downloading, I shutdown the browser, it still
    > came down. So I dropped the connection.
    > Logging off a bit extreme, but I saw nothing obvious in "top"
    > that I could have killed.
    >

    > --
    > faeychild.[/ref]

    That's just crazy. I've never had a problem stopping downloads by shutting
    down the browser.

    I think you need a new one.....

    Meanwhile, there must be a way you could close the port in use, although
    I don't know how, off the top of my head.

    AC
    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:56:57 GMT, faeychild
    <nykysleph> wrote:
    "netstat -npt" should tell which process is associated with each network
    connection.

    --
    Absurd Procrustean Egghead Cornstarch Variant Bill Mar
    Bill Guest