Professional Web Applications Themes

stopping GUI at bootup - SCO

how can I boot the sys into character based login on a 6.0.6 openserver? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default stopping GUI at bootup

    how can I boot the sys into character based login on a 6.0.6 openserver?
    Thanks
    Robrjt2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: stopping GUI at bootup

    On Fri, Oct 31, 2003, Robrjt2 wrote:

    scologin disable

    ``scologin enable'' turns it back on.

    How'd you get OSR 6.0.6? I thought 5.0.7 was the latest :-).

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government
    working for you.
    -- Will Rogers
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    In article <mi.celestial.com>,
    Bill Campbell <com> wrote: [/ref]

    If you look at the login script in the /etc/rc2.d you'll
    a "NO_SWITCH" option doented.

    That option will start up the system with the scologin display
    available on what ever key you choose [I usually set it to
    something like tty12 - so that you come up into the console
    screen, but the graphics is always available without having to to
    go through the enable/disable routine.

    So far my installs with the sco login on tty12 the line
    in /etc/inittab looks like:
    scl:b:once:/etc/rc2.d/P86login start no_switch.

    The plus is that by using the NO_SWITCH, when the interface starts
    up you go to the new screen momentarily and then come back to
    your standard console and see all the other bootup messages
    as they scroll by.

    The enable/disable seems to me to be too much of an all or nothing
    when all you want to do is to have the default startup be the
    standard text login. I have seen the NO_SWITCH option mentioned
    only very rarely in this NG while probalby over 90% of the time
    it's the enable/disable approach being suggested.

    Doing the above you can set up a remote client system and they can
    have what ever they want and only have to use the ctl-alt-FN to get
    where they need to be and never have to login as root
    to use the enable/disable commands.

    I don't recall seeing this in any of the FAQs - but I haven't read
    them recently.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion) wrote in message news:<com>... [/ref]

    > If you look at the login script in the /etc/rc2.d you'll
    > a "NO_SWITCH" option doented.
    >
    > That option will start up the system with the scologin display
    > available on what ever key you choose [I usually set it to
    > something like tty12 - so that you come up into the console
    > screen, but the graphics is always available without having to to
    > go through the enable/disable routine.
    >
    > So far my installs with the sco login on tty12 the line
    > in /etc/inittab looks like:
    > scl:b:once:/etc/rc2.d/P86login start no_switch.
    >
    > The plus is that by using the NO_SWITCH, when the interface starts
    > up you go to the new screen momentarily and then come back to
    > your standard console and see all the other bootup messages
    > as they scroll by.
    >
    > The enable/disable seems to me to be too much of an all or nothing
    > when all you want to do is to have the default startup be the
    > standard text login. I have seen the NO_SWITCH option mentioned
    > only very rarely in this NG while probalby over 90% of the time
    > it's the enable/disable approach being suggested.[/ref]

    99.999% of the time I have no use for X on any Open Server boxes.
    That .001% of the time it's only for something very momentary like
    using the netscape httpd manager or recent versions of powerchute
    manager that are only available in an X interface, and in those cases
    all I do is startx, twiddle a few knobs, logout. Mostly I don't even
    need it for that anymore since I mostly use apache on new boxes if I'm
    going to use the httpd for anything substantial enough that I'd even
    need to do any configuring from stock and powerchute, once you use it
    to modify the stock config file on one box, you don't need it anymore
    on any other boxes as long as you are only twiddling the same
    settings.

    No point in X sitting there wasting ram and process slots & whatever
    other resources active but idle processes consume for 17520 hours when
    it only serves a purpose for 1 of those hours, all in one session, at
    a predictable scheduled time (don't need to connect for 5 minutes
    every month for examle)

    startx and "file, exit" are not exactly bersome even if I had to
    run it say, every time I went on-site. And most sites, I never run it
    even once from the first time I power the new box up in my office to
    the day we take it out a few years later.

    On top of all that... X is one of the few things that has the
    potential to lock up the whole box, so it's not exactly adviseable for
    the on-site "closest thing to an IT person" or anyone else to use the
    server console in X as a desktop.
    I don't mean to say it's exactly illegal, but if they were the sort of
    admin/user that actually used X, they wouldn't be asking how to get it
    out of their way.

    Hence the consistant unblinking advice to just scologin disable.
    Brian Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    Brian K. White <com> wrote: [/ref][/ref]

     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    But that was not the question asked. It was just how to boot
    the system into a character based login.

    I have some remote servers that are set up just that way so the
    local users can used the GUI admin when they need it, but
    get the normal boot, with error messages on the screen, and then it
    just sits at login. Almost no on ever does anything at the
    console - character or GUI - but its there when needed.

    For someone who want it now and then, and may be not an onsite
    person often - the NO_SWITCH is a good option.

    You should blink now and then and see if someone wants to do things
    differently.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest