Professional Web Applications Themes

Storage Array guys! D2 or 3310 SCSI? Need serious input from people who use them ... - Sun Solaris

It is server and storage upgrade time. I currently have an E450 (4x400 MHz, 20x9GB HD, 4GB RAM) maxed out.No storage array. All internal. I`m looking at probably the V1280 (8x900MHz, 16GB RAM) for sole use as a database server (Progress). The database size is 35 GB. It might be 50GB in 18 months to 2 years. I need some external storage arrays.Scenario's that I am looking at are: SCENARIO 1: 4 or 6 D2's (12x18.2GB's) that are stripped and mirrored using DiskSuite. Mirror 1 u160 card ch A ------ d2 #1 drives 1-6 ch B ------ d2 #1 drives ...

  1. #1

    Default Storage Array guys! D2 or 3310 SCSI? Need serious input from people who use them ...

    It is server and storage upgrade time.

    I currently have an E450 (4x400 MHz, 20x9GB HD, 4GB RAM) maxed out.No
    storage array. All internal.

    I`m looking at probably the V1280 (8x900MHz, 16GB RAM) for sole use as
    a database server (Progress). The database size is 35 GB. It might be
    50GB in 18 months to 2 years.

    I need some external storage arrays.Scenario's that I am looking at
    are:

    SCENARIO 1:
    4 or 6 D2's (12x18.2GB's) that are stripped and mirrored using
    DiskSuite.

    Mirror 1
    u160 card ch A ------ d2 #1 drives 1-6
    ch B ------ d2 #1 drives 7-12

    u160 card ch A ------ d2 #2 drives 1-6
    ch B ------ d2 #2 drives 7-12

    u160 card ch A ------ d2 #3 drives 1-6
    card ch B ------ d2 #3 drives 7-12
    Mirror 2
    [ same as above pic etc ]

    I would just strip accross controllers and drives then mirror that
    same setup.
    This would run me about $57,600 (6 D2's $8800 ea, 6 controllers $800
    ea) (according to prices I can find out on the net).

    Would getting *just* Veritas VxFS help out any here over UFS????

    SCENARIO 2:
    2 3310's w/1 RAID controller in each and a 3310 JBOD hanging off of
    each one.
    This would be some kind of hardware stripping.This would run me about
    $47,200 (using prices on the net).

    A reseller wants to sell me this only with Veritas DMP setup adding
    more $$$ and complexity. Plus the reseller quotes me almost new prices
    for used equipment!

    I need spindles. Will scenario 2 with all the hardware raid, Veritas
    really really net me more r/w performance for the money? Most of the
    use of the database is small reads than writes. Some reporting done.
    No DSS or data warehousing is done here.
    I don't see how a HW RAID cache would help me out either. If it is a
    read hit, I would think it would be in the DB buffer pool or Solaris
    VM. It is mostly random I/O, not sequential.

    The 3310's give me way more flexiablilty in recofiguring if need be,
    but at the price of complexity. Unfortunatley I don't know Veritas,
    and I have never set up a HW storage array box. Then I have to rely on
    the Reseller (ick) for support/changes etc etc.

    For the money and simplicity, the D2's with DiskSuite is very
    managable for me as I can do all that myself and maintain it.But if
    I'ld be wrong in it's performance, oops! But that setup would have to
    be waaaaay better than my current E450 now!

    For those of you who are experience with storage arrays, which
    scenario do you think would be best for the money, complexity and net
    result? Unfortunatley it is only guessing at what the result would
    be.Can just 2 3310's be better than all the D2's, really????

    Any and all comments are welcomed!
    -Roger
    roger0080@netscape.net Guest

  2. #2

    I am familiar with your second scenario.

    Storage arrays are simple to configure. The 3310 can be placed on the
    network and has a telnet interface.
    With two of them u could RAID 0 a series of LUNS on each array (to get your
    spindles) and then mirror across the arrays using disk suite.

    Place indexes on one LUN , data files on the other etc.
    3310 supports up to 128 LUNS

    Complexity-wise I would have though having an appliance for disk management
    was simpler. Expanding the array is also simpler. No taking the machine
    offline (if thats an issue).

    <net> wrote in message

    bruce Guest

  3. #3

    net wrote:

    Right now Veritas VXFS has two remaining advantages over UFS:

    a) It can pre-allocate diskspace for a file and thereby almost eliminate
    fragmentation.

    b) It does have the possibility to run online defragmentation.

    As UFS now does journaling and " DirectIO for databases " these
    are no longer VXFS advantages.

    If the access pattern of you database is repeated reads of a smaller
    subset of the data, the RAIDcontroller CACHE will help a lot. The Cache
    also helps by accepting lots of small writes faster than physical disk would.

    If you are Random reading all over the database and its 50 GB, your
    hit rate would not be that big.

    DMP is mostly used in Storage Area Network scenarios, where you have multiple
    datapaths ( through redundant hardware ) to the same storage array. Typically
    a Hitachi 9900 or EMC Symmetrix/ClarIIon. The same scenarios where you would
    use SUN's traffic manager.

    If you use two X6758A dual LVD scsi cards and cross connect them to
    both 3310 , so that you actually have dual-datapaths to each 3310, some
    additional HW_redundancy will result, which would require DMP to be utilised.
    AS you would be running with mirrored 3310's anyway, I cant really justify
    DMP as both 3310's would be directly attached to the server with SCSI cables.

    Well maybe if you disk-I/O bandwith requierments is higher than 160 MB/s
    ( you did not say in the query ) DMP could be used to achive some load sharing
    over dual scsicables to the same 3310 array. Not sure if that works.

    //Lars

    Lars Tunkrans
    smtp: lars dot tunkrans at bredband dot net

    Lars Guest

  4. #4

    <net> wrote in message

    6 D2's = 1.2 Tb of space (600Gb usable) for what could be a 50Gb database.
    Do you REALLY need 72 spindles for this thing to work?

    DJ Guest

  5. #5

    Lars Tunkrans <net> wrote:

    It used to be that VxFS mentioned the fact that you'll never have to do
    double-indirect (or triple-indirect) accesses to a specific data block
    due to the use of extents.

    I don't know if UFS can cache the relevant blocks for long enough to
    make that not a real big deal.

    Other advantages may be that you want specific options that tie into
    VxFS (like oracle BLIB backups).

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company