Professional Web Applications Themes

Strange ARP Problem - Windows Server

I have a very strange ARP table problem. Some of the machines on my network, both servers AND clients, both Win2k and XP seem to be setting the hardware address of the Domain Controller to the wrong Hardware Address. The domain controller is a Win2000 with AD and DNS (AD integrated). It has two network cards that are bridged for load balancing. I have watched a client pinging this server constantly getting a speedy response when suddenly the responses begin to time out, if I check the ARP table (arp -a) at this time the dynamic entry for the server's ...

  1. #1

    Default Strange ARP Problem

    I have a very strange ARP table problem.
    Some of the machines on my network, both servers AND clients, both Win2k and
    XP seem to be setting the hardware address of the Domain Controller to the
    wrong Hardware Address.

    The domain controller is a Win2000 with AD and DNS (AD integrated). It has
    two network cards that are bridged for load balancing.

    I have watched a client pinging this server constantly getting a speedy
    response when suddenly the responses begin to time out, if
    I check the ARP table (arp -a) at this time the dynamic entry for the
    server's IP address has the incorrect hardware
    address (it was correct while getting ping response), which is often similar
    to the address of another server.
    If I clear the ARP table (arp -d) the following ping requests respond.
    This happens randomly and sometimes the problem "fixes itself".

    If I understand how ARP works the hardware address should never change as
    it's defined by the network card in the destination machine. Am I just
    confused perhaps?

    Can anyone help me figure out why this address might be changing and how to
    stop it from happening?

    Thanks
    Jon

    Jon Simmons Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Strange ARP Problem

    Oh, I thought of setting the address static in the ARP table, but it's not
    as static as the doentation says as it's lost upon reboot and sometimes
    just during the day for no reason. Also I would rather not set a static
    address for this server as I would have to reset them all if the hardware on
    the server changes. This server is my domain controller, so I couldn't make
    that change in a GPO it would have to be done by hand at every client.

    Thanks again
    Jon

    "Jon Simmons" <jon_nntpjpsalaser.com> wrote in message

    > I have a very strange ARP table problem.
    > Some of the machines on my network, both servers AND clients, both Win2k
    and
    > XP seem to be setting the hardware address of the Domain Controller to the
    > wrong Hardware Address.
    >
    > The domain controller is a Win2000 with AD and DNS (AD integrated). It
    has
    > two network cards that are bridged for load balancing.
    >
    > I have watched a client pinging this server constantly getting a speedy
    > response when suddenly the responses begin to time out, if
    > I check the ARP table (arp -a) at this time the dynamic entry for the
    > server's IP address has the incorrect hardware
    > address (it was correct while getting ping response), which is often
    similar
    > to the address of another server.
    > If I clear the ARP table (arp -d) the following ping requests respond.
    > This happens randomly and sometimes the problem "fixes itself".
    >

    > If I understand how ARP works the hardware address should never change as
    > it's defined by the network card in the destination machine. Am I just
    > confused perhaps?
    >
    > Can anyone help me figure out why this address might be changing and how
    > stop it from happening?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jon

    Jon Simmons Guest