Professional Web Applications Themes

Strange behaviour by LILO - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have just reinstalled Win98, and as a result, had to reinstall LILO. On my system I have Win98 on /dev/hda1, Mandrake on the rest of /dev/hda and /dev/hdb7 (/usr/src is on /dev/hdb7,) a Win98 backup on /dev/hdb1 and Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5. The swap partitions are /dev/hda6 and /dev/hdb6, and Mandrake's /boot is on /dev/hda5. Mandrake's /etc has the same lilo.conf and fstab as before with boot=/dev/hda, which should boot Mandrake 9.0, with Win98 as an alternative, and Knoppix omitted, but for some reason the Mandrake Rescue Disk installs a bootloader which runs a Knoppix system with Mandrake's kernel. ...

  1. #1

    Default Strange behaviour by LILO

    I have just reinstalled Win98, and as a result, had to reinstall LILO.

    On my system I have Win98 on /dev/hda1, Mandrake on the rest of
    /dev/hda
    and /dev/hdb7 (/usr/src is on /dev/hdb7,) a Win98 backup on /dev/hdb1
    and Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5. The swap partitions are /dev/hda6
    and /dev/hdb6, and Mandrake's /boot is on /dev/hda5.

    Mandrake's /etc has the same lilo.conf and fstab as before with
    boot=/dev/hda, which should boot Mandrake 9.0, with Win98 as an
    alternative, and Knoppix omitted, but for some reason the Mandrake
    Rescue Disk installs a bootloader which runs a Knoppix system with
    Mandrake's kernel. The icon at the beginning of the boot messages is
    Mandrake's. Once booted, Knoppix can access only its
    own /etc/fstab and lilo.conf. Furthermore, it shows all the
    limitations
    of Knoppix, such as supporting only ext2 filesystems. I assume that
    some
    modules are not being detected during bootup.

    I can't think of any reason why this should happen. Any ideas please.

    And for some distinct reason. I can't connect to any news servers
    with Windoze, so I am forced to use Google Groups.

    Doug.
    Doug Laidlaw Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Strange behaviour by LILO

    Have you re-run /sbin/lilo?

    'lilo.conf' is only examined by lilo during boot loader installation; i.e.,
    when /sbin/lilo is run. It is NEVER examined at boot time.

    --John

    On 10 Sep 2003 04:25:45 -0700, [email]laidlawsmyaccess.com.au[/email] (Doug Laidlaw) wrote:
    >I have just reinstalled Win98, and as a result, had to reinstall LILO.
    >
    >On my system I have Win98 on /dev/hda1, Mandrake on the rest of
    >/dev/hda
    >and /dev/hdb7 (/usr/src is on /dev/hdb7,) a Win98 backup on /dev/hdb1
    >and Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5. The swap partitions are /dev/hda6
    >and /dev/hdb6, and Mandrake's /boot is on /dev/hda5.
    >
    >Mandrake's /etc has the same lilo.conf and fstab as before with
    >boot=/dev/hda, which should boot Mandrake 9.0, with Win98 as an
    >alternative, and Knoppix omitted, but for some reason the Mandrake
    >Rescue Disk installs a bootloader which runs a Knoppix system with
    >Mandrake's kernel. The icon at the beginning of the boot messages is
    >Mandrake's. Once booted, Knoppix can access only its
    >own /etc/fstab and lilo.conf. Furthermore, it shows all the
    >limitations
    >of Knoppix, such as supporting only ext2 filesystems. I assume that
    >some
    >modules are not being detected during bootup.
    >
    >I can't think of any reason why this should happen. Any ideas please.
    >
    >And for some distinct reason. I can't connect to any news servers
    >with Windoze, so I am forced to use Google Groups.
    >
    >Doug.
    JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, I did, John, and I could see that the Knoppix lilo.conf was being used.
    After much chasing around, I eventually found that I had Knoppix' lilo.conf
    where the Mandrake one should have been. Lilo.conf~ was a backup of an
    earlier Mandrake setup with Knoppix as a further OS. I have no idea how it
    got changed.

    Having restored the lilo.conf, I then got continual messages that my /boot
    partition was already mounted,and e2fsck could not continue, even though
    its entry in fstab is AFTER /root, and mtab wasn't displaying everything
    that was mounted. (This seems to happen every time the two get confused
    like this.) I have found only one discussion of the "already mounted"
    error, by BitTwister, and it didn't go long enough to give me any clues.
    BT seemed to suggest that it was being mounted by a bootup script
    somewhere, but that is way over my head. Someone once found out that using
    Ctrl-C to break the script at that point was a "fix", and he could even run
    startx, but I had found previously that I was getting errors in X.

    I finished up reinstalling.

    Doug.

    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is