delete the tag from top of include file. Now- make sure that it's a balanced block of code- that any table or other tag opened in that file is closed in that include file. remove any javascript functions from them- they belong in the head section of the main file, not down in the body. You can use another include just for js, or use a linked .js file to put all the js functions into. repeat for all the includes. You should end up with a final file that has no yellow highlights in dw's code view or design view- and displays as it should. DMX is fussier about code syntax than Dw4 was. -- Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <3F0C2D3C.4060402@domain.invalid> <3F0C301B.4020407@domain.invalid> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Alan Ames [ip] => blu@formdude.co [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Strange Code View layout of Dreamweaver MX files - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Strange Code View layout of Dreamweaver MX files - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I recently upgraded from Dreamweaver 4 to MX. My site uses many include statements and pages whose code view displayed properly in version 4 now look scattered in the MX version. For example, version 4 would display a left navigation include, a body of text, and the right navigation include along the same line. MX shows the left include at the top left of the page, the body text underneath it, and the right include below that. This makes it difficult to make design changes accurately. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jason...

  1. #1

    Default Strange Code View layout of Dreamweaver MX files

    user@domain.invalid Guest

  2. #2

    Actually, the page looks fine if I upload it with those display
    problems. One example is [url]http://www.drwhitaker.com/index_test.asp[/url]

    There are definitely html comments showing the beginning and end of the
    includes.

    And the includes are not complete html files. They are only parts of
    tables, rows, etc. Someone suggested defining the sites, but that did
    not work.

  3. #3

    [email]userdomain.inva[/email]lid posted something on 7/9/03 11:09 AM so i blathered about
    to and fro:
    > Actually, the page looks fine if I upload it with those display
    > problems. One example is [url]http://www.drwhitaker.com/index_test.asp[/url]
    >
    > There are definitely html comments showing the beginning and end of the
    > includes.
    >
    > And the includes are not complete html files. They are only parts of
    > tables, rows, etc. Someone suggested defining the sites, but that did
    > not work.

    There's four opening <body> tags in that assembled file. Looking in source
    in Dw- there's <table> tag highlighted in yellow- indicating syntax
    problems.

    also- unrelated, but noticed there's a problem with repeated <font><b> tags
    around the bottom text menu items that should be cleaned up.

    to sort out the includes-
    Open one of the include files by itself.
    example- the one that starts <!--right navigation include begins -->
    delete the <body> tag from top of include file.
    Now- make sure that it's a balanced block of code- that any table or other
    tag opened in that file is closed in that include file.

    remove any javascript functions from them- they belong in the head section
    of the main file, not down in the body. You can use another include just for
    js, or use a linked .js file to put all the js functions into.

    repeat for all the includes.

    You should end up with a final file that has no yellow highlights in dw's
    code view or design view- and displays as it should.

    DMX is fussier about code syntax than Dw4 was.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest