Professional Web Applications Themes

Strange Mac/Airport behaviour - Mac Applications & Software

In article <BB27092E.40F4%don40bigpond.com>, Don Williams <don40bigpond.com> wrote: >Here's the scenario: My iMac can communicate OK (wirelessly) with my >graphite AirPort Base Station and establish a dial-up connection. However, >none of the Mac applications can see the connection. This happened once >before and repairing permissions fixed it for a while. It has now happened >again, I repaired permissions, and it worked for a few seconds then the same >problem. > >My wife's PC with a wireless card can use the AirPort connection with no >problems, so I know it is not the AirPort Base Station itself, but something >in the Mac. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Strange Mac/Airport behaviour

    <don40bigpond.com> wrote:
    >Here's the scenario: My iMac can communicate OK (wirelessly) with my
    >graphite AirPort Base Station and establish a dial-up connection. However,
    >none of the Mac applications can see the connection. This happened once
    >before and repairing permissions fixed it for a while. It has now happened
    >again, I repaired permissions, and it worked for a few seconds then the same
    >problem.
    >
    >My wife's PC with a wireless card can use the AirPort connection with no
    >problems, so I know it is not the AirPort Base Station itself, but something
    >in the Mac.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Would ask this on the relevant
    >Apple Discussion Group but they have not yet fixed the problems.
    >
    >Slot loading iMac with 10.2.4, latest AirPort software.
    Not sure if this will help but when I was having in-depth Airport
    therapy from Apple they told me to log in as root and then repair
    permissions, then log back in as user and repair permissions again.
    They also told me always to Verify before Repairing since this makes
    sure that nothing is missed.

    Stan
    Stan The Man Guest

  2. #2

    Default Strange Mac/Airport behaviour

    Here's the scenario: My iMac can communicate OK (wirelessly) with my
    graphite AirPort Base Station and establish a dial-up connection. However,
    none of the Mac applications can see the connection. This happened once
    before and repairing permissions fixed it for a while. It has now happened
    again, I repaired permissions, and it worked for a few seconds then the same
    problem.

    My wife's PC with a wireless card can use the AirPort connection with no
    problems, so I know it is not the AirPort Base Station itself, but something
    in the Mac.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Would ask this on the relevant
    Apple Discussion Group but they have not yet fixed the problems.

    Slot loading iMac with 10.2.4, latest AirPort software.

    Don Williams
    Albany, Western Australia

    Don Williams Guest

  3. #3

    On 30/6/03 11:53 PM, in article 010720030753179747%machomac.com, "Stan The
    Man" <machomac.com> wrote:

    > Not sure if this will help but when I was having in-depth Airport
    > therapy from Apple they told me to log in as root and then repair
    > permissions, then log back in as user and repair permissions again.
    > They also told me always to Verify before Repairing since this makes
    > sure that nothing is missed.
    >
    > Stan
    Thanks Stan

    For some reason my Accounts preferences item is missing. However, I repaired
    permissions again under my account, verifying first as you suggested. Then
    logged out and in again as one of my test users. Worked OK, so I re-logged
    in as me and it is now operational.

    Do I delete something in order to restore all the preferences?

    Don

    Don Williams Guest