Professional Web Applications Themes

Strange message at logon - Ubuntu

When i logon to my Ubuntu 5.10 machine i'm getting, after typing my username and password and hitting enter, a message saying that a file, $Home/.drmc has the wrong rights and therefore my language cannot be saved. It also says that i should change the rights to 644 and be the owner of that file. After clicking <ok> i can log in. I'm having no trouble with language at all and i changed the rights of the file /home/username/.drmc (hidden file) and i was already the owner. But after logging out and back in and even after rebooting the message ...

  1. #1

    Default Strange message at logon

    When i logon to my Ubuntu 5.10 machine i'm getting, after typing my
    username and password and hitting enter, a message saying that a file,
    $Home/.drmc has the wrong rights and therefore my language cannot be
    saved. It also says that i should change the rights to 644 and be the
    owner of that file. After clicking <ok> i can log in.
    I'm having no trouble with language at all and i changed the rights of
    the file /home/username/.drmc (hidden file) and i was already the owner.
    But after logging out and back in and even after rebooting the message
    is still there. Everything works fine so it's not a big problem but i
    just wonder how to get rid of this message.
    Has anyone got a clue? Thanks in advance.
    Marco Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Strange message at logon

    Marco wrote in <446d1832$0$31649$e4fe514cnews.xs4all.nl> on Thu, May 18
    2006 20:58:

    > When i logon to my Ubuntu 5.10 machine i'm getting, after typing my
    > username and password and hitting enter, a message saying that a file,
    > $Home/.drmc has the wrong rights and therefore my language cannot be
    > saved. It also says that i should change the rights to 644 and be the
    > owner of that file. After clicking <ok> i can log in.
    > I'm having no trouble with language at all and i changed the rights of
    > the file /home/username/.drmc (hidden file) and i was already the owner.
    > But after logging out and back in and even after rebooting the message
    > is still there. Everything works fine so it's not a big problem but i
    > just wonder how to get rid of this message.
    > Has anyone got a clue? Thanks in advance.

    0644 is the permissions for making the file read-write to you, and read-only
    to everybody else. Try opening a terminal and in it:

    $ chmod 0644 ~/.dmrc

    And that should get rid of your error message.

    - Mike
    Michael B. Trausch Guest

  3. #3

    Michael B. Trausch schreef:
    > Marco wrote in <446d1832$0$31649$e4fe514cnews.xs4all.nl> on Thu, May 18
    > 2006 20:58:
    >
    >>When i logon to my Ubuntu 5.10 machine i'm getting, after typing my
    >>username and password and hitting enter, a message saying that a file,
    >>$Home/.drmc has the wrong rights and therefore my language cannot be
    >>saved. It also says that i should change the rights to 644 and be the
    >>owner of that file. After clicking <ok> i can log in.
    >>I'm having no trouble with language at all and i changed the rights of
    >>the file /home/username/.drmc (hidden file) and i was already the owner.
    >>But after logging out and back in and even after rebooting the message
    >>is still there. Everything works fine so it's not a big problem but i
    >>just wonder how to get rid of this message.
    >>Has anyone got a clue? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > 0644 is the permissions for making the file read-write to you, and read-only
    > to everybody else. Try opening a terminal and in it:
    >
    > $ chmod 0644 ~/.dmrc
    >
    > And that should get rid of your error message.
    >
    > - Mike
    Thanks for your reaction.
    I followed your tip but unfortunally the message still comes up.
    Very strange.

    Marco
    Marco Guest

  4. #4

    Marco schreef:
    > Michael B. Trausch schreef:
    >
    >> Marco wrote in <446d1832$0$31649$e4fe514cnews.xs4all.nl> on Thu, May 18
    >> 2006 20:58:
    >>
    >>> When i logon to my Ubuntu 5.10 machine i'm getting, after typing my
    >>> username and password and hitting enter, a message saying that a file,
    >>> $Home/.drmc has the wrong rights and therefore my language cannot be
    >>> saved. It also says that i should change the rights to 644 and be the
    >>> owner of that file. After clicking <ok> i can log in.
    >>> I'm having no trouble with language at all and i changed the rights of
    >>> the file /home/username/.drmc (hidden file) and i was already the owner.
    >>> But after logging out and back in and even after rebooting the message
    >>> is still there. Everything works fine so it's not a big problem but i
    >>> just wonder how to get rid of this message.
    >>> Has anyone got a clue? Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> 0644 is the permissions for making the file read-write to you, and
    >> read-only
    >> to everybody else. Try opening a terminal and in it:
    >>
    >> $ chmod 0644 ~/.dmrc
    >>
    >> And that should get rid of your error message.
    >>
    >> - Mike
    >

    > Thanks for your reaction.
    > I followed your tip but unfortunally the message still comes up.
    > Very strange.
    >
    > Marco
    I found the solution to this "problem".
    The permissions on the /home/username folder were set to 775.
    I changed them back to 700 and at logon the message was gone.

    Marco
    Marco Guest

  5. #5

    Marco wrote in <446d648d$0$31642$e4fe514cnews.xs4all.nl> on Fri, May 19
    2006 02:24:

    > I found the solution to this "problem".
    > The permissions on the /home/username folder were set to 775.
    > I changed them back to 700 and at logon the message was gone.
    >
    > Marco

    I was just going to reply back to mention something like this. I decided
    that since I was curious, I would check how it was set up on my system, and
    I found that the permissions on that file itself are quite restrictive, as
    well as my home directory having sort of loose, but okay permissions:

    fd0manfd0man-laptop:~$ ls -la | grep '\.$'
    drwxr-xr-x 78 fd0man fd0man 4096 2006-05-19 13:50 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-05-16 21:36 ..
    fd0manfd0man-laptop:~$ ls -la | grep .dmrc
    -rw------- 1 fd0man fd0man 22 2006-05-11 14:45 .dmrc
    fd0manfd0man-laptop:~$

    As you can see the permissions on my $HOME directory are 0755, and the
    permissions on the .dmrc file is 0600 -- And I don't see any error or
    anything WRT that file.

    - Mike
    Michael B. Trausch Guest