Professional Web Applications Themes

Strange Problem - PHP Programming

Dear All: I have used MySQL as prototype on an application that I am developing. The project has been approved and I am now moving to Oracle for the production run. I have a section that deals with user password. My front end is in JSP/Servlet using Apache tomcat and talking to Oracle 8i using JDBC driver from Oracle (but I am using the Oracle 9i driver). The user password, I am using MD5 hashes and storing the string copy of that hashes onto the database (as varchar). MySQL was ok. However, when I moved the application to talk to ...

  1. #1

    Default Strange problem

    Dear All:

    I have used MySQL as prototype on an application that I am developing.
    The project has been
    approved and I am now moving to Oracle for the production run. I have a
    section
    that deals with user password. My front end is in JSP/Servlet using
    Apache tomcat and talking
    to Oracle 8i using JDBC driver from Oracle (but I am using the Oracle 9i
    driver).
    The user password, I am using MD5 hashes and storing the string copy of
    that hashes onto the database (as varchar).
    MySQL was ok. However, when I moved the application to talk to Oracle,
    I am always getting a different string back
    from the database than what I am saving into it. However, I am
    always getting back, from ORacle, the same
    set of characters. So it was consistently different but consistently in
    the same format. So I think there
    are some character conversion that is happening. Some of the
    characters are non-printable characters so
    they look like rubbish. But you can still compare with your bare eyes
    as the strings always contain the
    same set of characters.

    I think I am missing something as to how Oracle handle non-printable
    character strings.
    Any help much appreciated!!

    Please email me as well as posting back to the newsgroup.

    Thanks

    --Vincent
    [email]yauvohsu.edu[/email]

    Vincent Yau Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Strange problem

    Try a binary datatype for that column. RAW should work.

    Vincent Yau <yauvohsu.edu> wrote in news:3F099D49.BDDAAE5Eohsu.edu:
    > Dear All:
    >
    > I have used MySQL as prototype on an application that I am developing.
    > The project has been
    > approved and I am now moving to Oracle for the production run. I have
    > section
    > that deals with user password. My front end is in JSP/Servlet using
    > Apache tomcat and talking
    > to Oracle 8i using JDBC driver from Oracle (but I am using the Oracle
    9i
    > driver).
    > The user password, I am using MD5 hashes and storing the string copy of
    > that hashes onto the database (as varchar).
    > MySQL was ok. However, when I moved the application to talk to Oracle,
    > I am always getting a different string back
    > from the database than what I am saving into it. However, I am
    > always getting back, from ORacle, the same
    > set of characters. So it was consistently different but consistently
    in
    > the same format. So I think there
    > are some character conversion that is happening. Some of the
    > characters are non-printable characters so
    > they look like rubbish. But you can still compare with your bare eyes
    > as the strings always contain the
    > same set of characters.
    >
    > I think I am missing something as to how Oracle handle non-printable
    > character strings.
    > Any help much appreciated!!
    >
    > Please email me as well as posting back to the newsgroup.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --Vincent
    > [email]yauvohsu.edu[/email]

    Chuck Guest

  3. #3

    Perhaps you should convert the binary hash to Hex string
    and then save it to the database as varchar.
    This way, it should have no problem with any database systems.
    (this is how I do, but don't know about other people)
    _________________________________
    Bugzero all-in-one: bug tracking & help desk
    Free try: [url]http://www.websina.com/bugzero/[/url]

    Vincent Yau <yauvohsu.edu> wrote in message news:<3F099D49.BDDAAE5Eohsu.edu>...
    > Dear All:
    >
    > I have used MySQL as prototype on an application that I am developing.
    > The project has been
    > approved and I am now moving to Oracle for the production run. I have a
    > section
    > that deals with user password. My front end is in JSP/Servlet using
    > Apache tomcat and talking
    > to Oracle 8i using JDBC driver from Oracle (but I am using the Oracle 9i
    > driver).
    > The user password, I am using MD5 hashes and storing the string copy of
    > that hashes onto the database (as varchar).
    > MySQL was ok. However, when I moved the application to talk to Oracle,
    > I am always getting a different string back
    > from the database than what I am saving into it. However, I am
    > always getting back, from ORacle, the same
    > set of characters. So it was consistently different but consistently in
    > the same format. So I think there
    > are some character conversion that is happening. Some of the
    > characters are non-printable characters so
    > they look like rubbish. But you can still compare with your bare eyes
    > as the strings always contain the
    > same set of characters.
    >
    > I think I am missing something as to how Oracle handle non-printable
    > character strings.
    > Any help much appreciated!!
    >
    > Please email me as well as posting back to the newsgroup.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --Vincent
    > [email]yauvohsu.edu[/email]
    Blue Jean Guest

  4. #4

    You'll get this in IIS if you request a page that should be pd by the PHP CGI that does not exist. IIS trys to load the script into the CGI but gets no results since there was no page to load. I think it's an IIS bug.... i.e. you go to [url]www.domain.com/page1.php[/url]
    but there is no page1.php file. So you'd expect to get a 404 error. but IIS gives you the CGI error instead. Kinda s, I just use Apache now anyway, so I never spent the time to figure out why.

    - Anthony
    "Haseeb" <webcodderhotmail.com> wrote in message news:3F12F27B.000009.00452sw032.SOLUTIONSWAVE.COM ...

    Hi all,
    this is a very strange problem. i don't know where i am doing something that is causing this. the problem is that i am working on a web portal entirely in php. i have a few hidden pages. that do the queries to the DB. now when i redirect to any page for query i get this error
    CGI Error
    The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

    strangely when i hit F5 or refresh the page i get redirected to the desired page. i have checked for any whitespaces. there are none. i have checked and double checked this. i am using win2k,IIS, php 4.3.0

    again i have checked all the files for any space left that could be causing problem but i found none.

    i hope i make my self clear.
    Haseeb

    __________________________________________________ __
    Anthony Guest

  6. #6

    I am working on Windows 2000 Professional. Due to some reasons, I had to
    re-install it. There is one particular ASP application named Track. The
    problem is I am able to visit only some of the pages in this application
    (using hyperlinks) but am not able to visit the rest of the pages by
    clicking hyperlinks (a user has to login first as 'admin' to get into the
    site). For e.g. there is a page named Maint.asp which has many hyperlinks.
    When I click a link in this page, I am not able to go forward; neither a
    script timeout error (set to 90 seconds) gets generated. The page remains
    static at Maint.asp though the status bar in IE shows that it is proceeding
    ahead. This problem is happening only with the links in Maint.asp but not
    with the links in any other page in this application. What could be the
    problem? Please note that before re-installing Win2K Pro on my system, I
    didn't face any such problems.

    Thanks,

    Arpan

    Arpan Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Atrax Guest

  8. #8

    When I go into the Design mode occasionally I get an error on line ?. And
    there is no error and can't find it. I create a new mxml file and copy all the
    stuff from the old file and most of times it works. What is this problem?

    Thanks

    thephantom6969 Guest

  9. #9

    most likely a bug
    mab_bond Guest

  10. #10

    I have had this bug three or four times. Unload and reload Flex Builder.
    jylaxx Guest