Professional Web Applications Themes

strange template error (version 4 template, using MX) - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I have run into a couple problems when using templates, and was wondering if anyone had seen this before. Any input would be appreciated. 1. While adding text to an editable region of a number of similar pages, I received the following error when trying to save (didn't get this every time and there was no discernable pattern to it): Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded. I was working in design view for these, and it looks like the changes were saved despite the message. ...

  1. #1

    Default strange template error (version 4 template, using MX)

    I have run into a couple problems when using templates, and was wondering if anyone had seen this before. Any input would be appreciated.

    1. While adding text to an editable region of a number of similar pages, I received the following error when trying to save (didn't get this every time and there was no discernable pattern to it):

    Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded.

    I was working in design view for these, and it looks like the changes were saved despite the message. Again, annoying but maybe an indication of a problem?

    2. While working in code view on another page (in an editable region), I got the following when I tried to save my work:

    You have made changes to code that is not marked as editable. If you retain those changes, they will be lost the next time you apply a template to update this file. Do you want to retain the changes until then?

    Anybody have any insight?

    Thanks!
    -Chris

    cwright Guest

  2. #2

    Chris:

    Your best bet would be to a) upgrade your legacy templates to DMX level code
    using the tutorial methods explained on our book's companion site -

    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com

    and then b) if you continue to have problems, post back with a URI to the
    offending pages with an explanation of what you are trying to change and how
    you are changing it. In nearly every case (i.e., all that I can recall)
    such errors are caused by coding issues that can be found and corrected.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "cwright" <com> wrote in message
    if anyone had seen this before. Any input would be appreciated.
    I received the following error when trying to save (didn't get this every
    time and there was no discernable pattern to it):
    template or a translator. The change will be discarded.
    saved despite the message. Again, annoying but maybe an indication of a
    problem?
    got the following when I tried to save my work:
    retain those changes, they will be lost the next time you apply a template
    to update this file. Do you want to retain the changes until then?

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks. I am quite impressed. I train people in Dreamweaver about 6 times a month, 12 students a pop. I'll make sure to plug your site. :)

    I'll let you know if that solves my issues. Your help is greatly appreciated!

    -Chris

    cwright Guest

  4. #4

    Chris:

    Woo hoo! Thank you. This was definitely a labor of love. I can't remember
    working with a better collaborator than Brad and the team of Tech Editors
    and all from New Riders, or having more fun on a project.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    times a month, 12 students a pop. I'll make sure to plug your site. :)
    appreciated!

    Murray Guest