Professional Web Applications Themes

Stripped Down Linux Router Setup - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am just playing around with Redhat 9 to see how well this works. I am setting up Redhat on a rack mount case which I want to use to replace a Cisco gateway router. All I want it to do is Cyclades T1 card interface, firewall, DNS server and squid transparent cache. The problem I am running into is stripping down Linux. I sort of know what packages I need but am not sure. I imagine, IPtables, squid, apache, etc. Is there any sort of gouide available on how to strip down linux/redhat to the bare minimum? Matt...

  1. #1

    Default Stripped Down Linux Router Setup

    I am just playing around with Redhat 9 to see how well this works. I am
    setting up Redhat on a rack mount case which I want to use to replace a
    Cisco gateway router. All I want it to do is Cyclades T1 card interface,
    firewall, DNS server and squid transparent cache.

    The problem I am running into is stripping down Linux. I sort of know what
    packages I need but am not sure. I imagine, IPtables, squid, apache, etc.
    Is there any sort of gouide available on how to strip down linux/redhat to
    the bare minimum?

    Matt

    Matt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stripped Down Linux Router Setup

    Matt wrote:
    > I am just playing around with Redhat 9 to see how well this works. I am
    > setting up Redhat on a rack mount case which I want to use to replace a
    > Cisco gateway router. All I want it to do is Cyclades T1 card interface,
    > firewall, DNS server and squid transparent cache.
    >
    > The problem I am running into is stripping down Linux. I sort of know what
    > packages I need but am not sure. I imagine, IPtables, squid, apache, etc.
    > Is there any sort of gouide available on how to strip down linux/redhat to
    > the bare minimum?

    Hi Matt,

    The definition of "bare minimum" depends on your needs, of course. Consider
    looking at the installation options available for RedHat-9 at the following
    site:

    [url]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/[/url]

    You may also want to visit:

    [url]http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html[/url]

    and select one of the "minimalist" distributions if it fits your needs.

    Hope that helps,
    --
    CrayzeeWulf
    CrayzeeWulf Guest

  3. #3

    CrayzeeWulf scribbled:
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> I am just playing around with Redhat 9 to see how well this works. I am
    >> setting up Redhat on a rack mount case which I want to use to replace a
    >> Cisco gateway router. All I want it to do is Cyclades T1 card interface,
    >> firewall, DNS server and squid transparent cache.
    >>
    >> The problem I am running into is stripping down Linux. I sort of know
    >> what
    >> packages I need but am not sure. I imagine, IPtables, squid, apache,
    >> etc. Is there any sort of gouide available on how to strip down
    >> linux/redhat to the bare minimum?

    I recommend you use this floppy-based router. Save yourself the hassle
    unless the point of the exercise is to learn how to buld a GNU/Linux-based
    router.

    [url]http://www.coyotelinux.com/modules.php?name=Products&op=coyote[/url]

    <deletia>

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

    horne Guest